Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The aftermath of Chernobyl  (Read 4765 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
The aftermath of Chernobyl
« on: May 17, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »

http://www.elenafilatova.com/

This is a website which is run by a young woman who has devoted a large part of her life to photographing and documenting the area around Chernobyl in the aftermath of the reactor meltdown. It's very sobering stuff.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: The aftermath of Chernobyl
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »

Sobering indeed. And here we are dashing for the nuclear option again because governments appear not to want to explore the alternatives. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »

Gosh - talk about ghost town.  :-\

The one pic I found really strange and showing nature taking back over was the pic of a tree growing on top of the roof
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »

It's truly remarkable that this single dedicated person is really the only person in the world who is properly recording that area. The Russian authorities would prefer it to be buried in history, and most of the rest of the world has lost interest, and I'm lost in admiration for her tenacity. Her pictures bring tears to my eyes every time.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »

We visited Kiev in 1985 ,about  130 kms  south from Chernobyl, just prior to this disaster ....then I went again in 1990; on our first visit I made friends with a Russian girl,   we  have remained friends and  are in frequent  contact , much easier now than then,  due to being able to telephone and e-mail each other.      This dreadful consequences of this tragedy will never be  fully known;  on my 1990 visit I saw  several deformed young children who had obviously been born just after, and had an insight to some of the horrors from one of her  doctor friends.    The resulting illnesses will continue for years yet. 

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »

I did a study of this event as part of a degree course. I anyones interested in this I can recomend a book called "the truth about Chernobyl" by Grigori Medviedev.

He was a very senior engineer involved with the construction of various reactors including Chernobyl, and had a hand in some of the recrutment of engineers on site, He was deeply involved with the aftermath days after the disaster.

The book is highly detailed, starts with a back round to the politicaly driven mind set underlying the industry. the backrounds and personality traits of those in the control room at the time. which had a very significant bearing on the causes.

A detailed step by step account of what happened on that night based on many first hand accounts from all those still alive straight after. although this may be quite technical for most without some backround knowlege of a nuclear reactor (Walter Patterson's "Nuclear power" is considered the bible in getting any layman up to speed on nuclear power generation withou getting bogged down in technicalities. And concidered as an essential read for any one in government wishing to concern themselfs with nuclear power generation and easy to read, I first read it at the age of 13)

The epiloge I should warn is horrific to read, it deals with the medical state of the station survivors during their last days in hospital. Not for the slightly squeamish.

the one main down side to this book is the author does push his ego forward quite a bit, I felt it was his way of trying to wash his hands of his responsibility in this disaster yet being such a key figure in the setting up of the industry which is something he does brag a little about.

It not only gives a good view of atomic energy and how not to do it from a technical point, but also how hubris in management attitude in any industry can cause "problems"

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »

Just spent an hour looking at these pictures, a truly remarkable woman, the pictures of the abandoned kindergarden were very emotional, and have to admit to shedding a tear.