Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Resync this morning  (Read 1386 times)

huwwatkins

Resync this morning
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »

Hi
My line re-synced this morning. At 04:00 the SNR went up from 6 to 6.8 and then at 05:00 it re-synced. I would have expected the sync to stay the same or go up slightly if there was spare SNR margin but it actually dropped by about 1Mbps. I'm not too concerned but I'm curious as to why that happend. Doesn't look the right time for DLM?

MDWS stats name: huwwatkins

Incidentally my line went in on the 15th of Jan...still no G.INP :(

Thanks

Edit: looks like latency has gone up. Maybe it was DLM then? Nothing in my stats seem to suggest why that would happen?
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/40d31b7249809c9567f3c3b704a48dbc13463467.png
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:59:38 AM by huwwatkins »

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Resync this morning
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »

Looks like there was an increase in interleaving this morning; from 657 to 1377 on the downstream, and from 1 to 159 on the upstream. I can see that your delay is also 16 on the downstream and 8 on the upstream which has increased from 8 and 0 respectively, so essentially you have gained 16ms of delay on your line.

Even if you had "spare" SNRM, the application of interleaving or further increasing interleaving tends to take an overhead which may account for the loss of speed alongside possible other factors in relation to the line.

I can see that your ES on the upstream seems to be very high, with the last day in particular showing 657 ES in the 24 hours. This equates to an ES almost as little as every 120 seconds. I do not see anything outstanding other than this, but perhaps I have missed something or the DLM has just decided that your line is not stable enough. The DLM should work to the thresholds (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm), but unless there are some minor discrepancies in the logging then I am not too sure. But even still, I am guessing the DLM has acted based on the high amount of ES/SES on the upstream and enabled interleaving on the upstream (which added a delay).

Just out of interest, which modem are you using and which ISP are you on?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

huwwatkins

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »

Hi
I'm using a Zyxel VMG8934. I also have a HG612 I can test to see if that improves things. My ISP is Origin Broadband (I think they just resell vodaphone) I think they are on the Speed profile which seems to think DLM shouldn't have taken action.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »

I've never heard of, nor can I find information about the Zyxel VMG8934 (though I could find information about a VMG8924). Perhaps this was a typo or you're on the bleeding edge because of an inside deal with Zyxel. ;)

Jokes aside, the 8924 has a Broadcom BCM63168 chipset from what I can gather and mentions support for G.INP. I am not aware of any parameters that need to be adjusted on the modem for it to work with G.INP, but it probably wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your router config and update the firmware if you are running an outdated version just in case it resolves issues with compatibility, although you should ensure to flash the correct firmware for the model/revision. What version of the firmware are you running currently?

I could agree with you in regards to the DLM if you're on the Speed profile - the DLM shouldn't have made any changes based on what we are aware of. Although it clearly has this morning as interleaving has been enabled on the upstream.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

anything