Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thinking About Getting a 2nd FTTC Line Fitted  (Read 1163 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Thinking About Getting a 2nd FTTC Line Fitted
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »

[Moderator note: This post has been split off from another thread so that it will now, hopefully, get the attention that it deserves.]

I been thinking of 2nd line for my computer room as my current master socket is in downstair in the hallway with plusnet FTTC 80/20. Do u think Openreach will installed brand new master socket for upstair or have a paired from downstair master socket for upstair?

The master socket is in hallway (by the front garden and outside front cupboard).

The computer room is upstair (by the rear garden) with no phone socket there.

Hallway downstair got BT Socket (I think this the master socket logo Openreach replaced BT in 2014 when installed FTTC)
Bedroom 1 upstair got BT Socket (logo BT)
Bedroom 2 upstair got BT Socket (logo BT) and Virgin Media socket (logo telewest)
Living room downstair got BT Socket (logo BT) and Virgin Media socket (logo telewest)
Computer room upstair got Virgin Media socket (logo telewest) but no BT Socket
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:47:39 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Thinking About Getting a 2nd FTTC Line Fitted
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:06 PM »

My understanding is that, as you will be paying for the new infrastructure to be provided and installed, you should be able to specify where you require the new NTE5 to be sited.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Thinking About Getting a 2nd FTTC Line Fitted
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »

My understanding is that, as you will be paying for the new infrastructure to be provided and installed, you should be able to specify where you require the new NTE5 to be sited.
I agree.

Having had a 2nd line installed, as long as you pay for a new physical line to be installed then they should be able to install it anywhere within reason (as long as you have the permissions, it is accessible by the engineer, etc.). If there is already an existing spare pair in the property the engineer could, in theory, wire up a new master socket to that but it would only make sense if you wanted the additional socket in close proximity to the other (if you wanted to use for bonding or load balancing).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)