Computer Software > Windows 8

Win 8.1 Network Display Issue

<< < (3/3)

tiffy:
@parkdale

Many thanks for the link, had not seen seen this before, certainly looks very relevant to my issue as you have said.
Will give this a serious review tomorrow when I get more time.

After another temporary appearance of the NAS today on the explorer, network tree have managed to make network links to all of the NAS folders, these still work when the NAS disappears again from explorer, network as it always does.
A reasonable work around in the shorter term.

tiffy:
@parkdale

Again, many thanks for the very informative link you supplied.
Having had more time to follow up and experiment over the week end, I would totally agree that the content of this thread is indeed very closely related to my current issues regarding local network devices unpredictable appearances / disappearances on either Win 8.1 or Win 10 based operating systems.

Having worked through all the registry "fixes" listed, I can now at least determine and have a means of identifying which device becomes and remains the "Master Browser" on the LAN, in my case I have designated the Win 8.1 desktop PC as master, it's in service most of the time, however, this is by no means a fix, the WD NAS and other PC still randomly appear and disappear from Win explorer / network tree's on both PC's for no logical reason that I can establish !
Would appear from the thread narrative that MS have more or less given up on the "Computer Browser Service" in this context and are dropping from future Windows builds.

I now have explorer network tree shortcuts to all of my NAS folders on both PC's which surprisingly enough (I thought) still work when the NAS is not visible on explorer / network tree, that's the best compromise I can come up with at present.

Have more or less given up on the Win 8.1 desktop to Win 10 laptop "cross LAN" communication, appearance on either PC explorer / network is as unpredictable as the WD NAS appearance.
Funny enough, when the Win 10 laptop is visable on the Win 8.1 desktop, full access is available, all drives on both PC's are designated as fully shared, however, when the Win 8.1 desktop is visable on the Win 10 laptop, folder/file access is "not authorised" ?

Strange that the trigger for this complete issue appeared to be the upgrade of the Desktop Win 8.1 PC from HD to SSD with the migration of the existing operating system, although, a number of Windows updates took place just after the migration which could possibly be relevant.
The desktop PC did exibit occasional disappearance on the network of the NAS and laptop PC prior to the SSD upgrade but nothing like the current situation. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version