Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Getting wiring normalised

<< < (2/3) > >>

tubaman:
That loose socket is a secondary not a master, as it doesn't have any components (Ring capacitor, resistor, surge arrestor) on the PCB.
I agree with @b*cat - it all needs ripping out and starting again.
What a mess! :ouch:

displaced:
Thanks all.

Going to head over with my tester and figure out which of the many, many cables is actually doing anything.

Is it possible that there is *no* master socket? I’ve yet to see anything that looks like one other than that which has been identified as a secondary.

I’m going to head up into the loft tomorrow and see what’s going on there. The cables from the exterior junction box all disappear into the roof - I’m expecting the worst!!

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: displaced on February 21, 2018, 11:11:41 AM ---Going to head over with my tester and figure out which of the many, many cables is actually doing anything.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that will be a good start. DVM, notepad, pen or pencil and a good torch.

--- Quote ---Is it possible that there is *no* master socket?

--- End quote ---

With what I have seen, so far, that could be a possibility.  :-X

--- Quote ---I’m going to head up into the loft tomorrow and see what’s going on there. The cables from the exterior junction box all disappear into the roof - I’m expecting the worst!!

--- End quote ---

Don't despair, that may be the key to the entire pig's ear. It might be worth looking into the external junction box first . . . you may find one or more cables are not connected and can be immediately removed, thus simplifying the muddle.

Scroll down this page. Is the external box a BT16A or a BT18? If yes, I would recommend replacing it with a BT66 and then join the wires of the service feed to your new lead-in with gel-crimps.

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: displaced on February 21, 2018, 11:11:41 AM ---Is it possible that there is *no* master socket? I’ve yet to see anything that looks like one other than that which has been identified as a secondary.

--- End quote ---

Not butting in here, as the lads are giving sound advice, just wanted to give an opinion on the comment above for others that may have similar issues.

We have a couple of new-build estates on my patch, that sees the multi-purpose plate (the one where your satellite cables are shown in your picture) actually be the 'main' socket ..... as run by the building contractor.

This obviously threw up questions about demarcation/fitting SSFP's ??

Our remit is, if it is  proven that it is the 'Main' socket, then we can divert the 'feed' wire into a newly positioned master socket (usually this would be fit above or below the multi-purpose plate), and then link the extensions up by connecting them to the newly installed SSFP, via a short piece of wire going back into the multi-purpose plate. Hope this makes sense ??

We categorically can not perform this function, if the multi-purpose plate also contains an outlet for 240v.
From your picture it appears yours does not, as there is a separate 240v socket next to it.  :)

displaced:
Very interesting - thanks!

I’ll take a look behind that plate for associated master-socket gubbins to confirm.

The multipurpose plate’s in what is now a bedroom. The line to it appears to go all around the house, via the internal junction box photographed (which is at the back of the house), then somehow right round to the external box at the front of the house!

I’ll proceed with caution and stop just before I don’t know what I’m doing  ;)

I’ll see what the exterior j/b is all about - have a BT66 on its way and a load of gel-crimps somewhere around here...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version