Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Master Socket wire wired directly to Modem via RJ11 ..?  (Read 6187 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Master Socket wire wired directly to Modem via RJ11 ..?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »

It probably wouldn't show as dis. (disconnected) when a modem/router is actually connected to the line.... This homehub 5 has the gas discharge and the DC block capacitor inbuilt, similar to an NTE5

From cursory research, modem’s front end line interface seems to sometimes (/often/always?) comprise a tranformer, coupled by fairly low value caps, 0.1uF in circuits I have found.   The 470k resistor does not normally seem to be present.

Assuming that the line test uses a carefully chosen frequency, and looks for an impedance predicted by the correct cap/resistor combination, the modem connection would look quite different compared with the master socket’s R/C.

Not wanting to worry unduly but I’d imagine worst case scenario would be that BT, without prompting,  discovered such a “line fault”, and invested significant engineering resources in tracing it.   If the ‘fault’ were subsequently attributed to unauthorised tampering within NTE, I suspect they might quite reasonably want to recover full costs of investigation. :-X

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:56 PM »

What are the implications of wiring the main line that comes into the house, directly to an RJ11 (64PC) plug and connecting that directly into the back of the (HG612) Modem?

It seems unnecessary that the line has to go through all the crap of master socket circuitry, faceplate circuitry, and all the filtering that involves etc. When all i want it as clean and clear as possible signal directly into the Modem.

This is not my area of expertise by a long way but I always thought that Openreach FTTC faceplates (i.e. a Mk3) provided the unfiltered signal to the modem anyway - and it was only the voice socket that was filtered?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »

This is not my area of expertise by a long way but I always thought that Openreach FTTC faceplates (i.e. a Mk3) provided the unfiltered signal to the modem anyway - and it was only the voice socket that was filtered?

That is true, but the components in question are not part of a filter.   Between them, capacitor and resistor, they provide ring signal and facilitate line tests.   Ring signal may no longer be relevant, but line test remains relevant.     

Filters (if needed) are an addition, over and above these components.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 11:10:23 PM »

What you say is true gt94sss2, and I doubt whether the OP's proposal would give any measurable improvement in performance.
However, he has no requirement for telephony, so I can see some merit in ensuring a direct metallic path to obviate any possible problems due to component failure, dirty/corroded contacts etc.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 11:32:34 PM »

I wouldn't crimp the incoming pair like that.
I don't use a landline, so went with an unfiltered faceplate.
£6 from AAISP
https://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
Just an RJ45 port on the front.

Only fits an NTE5A, not the newer NTE5C.
You couldn't pay me to install an NTE5C anyway. Hideous and flimsy.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 11:55:31 PM »

You couldn't pay me to install an NTE5C anyway. Hideous and flimsy.

I'll happily second that. The circuit, minimalistic as it is, just consists of lengths of steel plate made with slits into which the leads from the capacitor and resistor are forced. Like a third-world imitation of a IDC but one where there is no I to actually D!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Sincerest apologies for my heinous misuse of a capital K (have I just done it again??).
Please send all claims for distress caused to my solicitor.
 ;)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 02:55:29 AM »

I don't use a landline, so went with an unfiltered faceplate.
£6 from AAISP
Plus £4.57 for Tracked 24 P&P.
Made my not very good line slightly worse, so I have gone back to a Mk 3 faceplate.
Presumably the Mk 3's anti REIN circuitry does something for me.

Impressively fast delivery. Ordered in the small hours of Friday morning, delivered on Saturday.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »

FYI those faceplates are available from the Andrews and Arnold shop at

and you do not have to be an ISP-customer. (But you will have just to talk to humans sales@aa.net.uk about how you want to pay for goods if you don't have a customer account whose tab they can just add it on to.)
Pages: 1 [2]