Computer Software > Windows 10

windows 10 licence activated with digital licence linked to microsoft account

(1/2) > >>

chenks:
so i have an Intel NUC that i'm selling.
it currently has Windows 10 Home 64bit installed, which was installed via the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 (for which i had a licence key for) - the NUC did not ship with any OS.

the windows 10 licence is "activated with a digital licence linked to your microsoft account"

i'd like to keep the licence to use on another system, and sell the NUC with no OS.

is this possible?
if the new owner of the NUC installs windows 10, will it try to activate using the licence it already had?

note that i have no physical key for windows 10, the only physical key i had was for windows 8.1 (and god knows where that is now).
it was much easier when everything was a physical key!

Ronski:
As far as I'm aware the licence is tied to the hardware, not to your account. The only Windows licence you could move between hardware was a full retail version (no idea about enterprise  versions), I'm not sure if that carried over to Windows 10 when updated from an earlier version of Windows.

You can still use valid Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 licences's to activate Windows 10, at least you could last year.

chenks:
so even though the hardware originally used a windows 8.1 install with a physical key, once that was updated to windows 10 i lose that ability to keep the licence and it becomes locked to the hardware?

this wasn't an oem windows 8.1 licence.

what if the hardware failed and i replaced it? would i then lose that windows 10 licence forever?

broadstairs:
Certainly from what I've read elsewhere the digital license is tied to the motherboard and therefore you will need a new license for a new PC. Apparently there is an exception if the m/b fails and you can then use phone activation which should be allowed.

However having said all that I am not an expert so dont take it as gospel, but it certainly does look that way. No problem if you have a full retail license I gather.

Stuart

j0hn:
As above, the Windows 10 license is tied to hardware.
The Windows 8.1 licence you had is still yours and you can use that.

I'm not 100% on the workings of it, but there's definitely no licence key you can swap to another machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version