Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When will FTTPoD be available to residents.  (Read 9349 times)

richi

Re: When will FTTPoD be available to residents.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »

I'm a small business (albeit not VAT-registered, because most of my revenue is services delivered outside the EEA).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »

I'm a small business (albeit not VAT-registered, because most of my revenue is services delivered outside the EEA).

I am wondering if in Cerberus's eyes you'd be considered residential.

It seems unless this £39000 number is some kind of maximum order payment number by Openreach then it appears like its a made up high number to discourage residential orders.

I'll still keep digging. It might come out that the £39000 figure is a max order price and it all might be genuine  :-\
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »

Bowden
That seems really high £39k, so I just asked for a quote myself. We will see how we compare!  ;) When did you get your quote before or after the end of Feb reprice?
Dave

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »

Those are quotes from OpenReach, Cerberus just pass them on to the customer.
Cerberus sell to residential customers, so i don't see why they would inflate the quotes to put them off.
A couple of the 39k quotes were business's anyway.

OpenReach have massively increased the build cost for those at longer distances from the Agg Node. It appears the cost over 3 years is much more than the old pricing.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »

Riiiight. Well the quote came back from Cerberus: £39,000+VAT :lol:

Comparing notes with others on TBB, it looks like £39K is a maximum cap. I could buy a hell of a lot of bonded 4G and ADSL2+ for that money!

OR reckons only two other premises passed, which can't be right: At least five are served from the DPpole.

I was looking at the quotes on the Thinkbroadband thread, initially we thought Openreach was going to attempt to increase FTTPoD rollout - instead they've moved from expensive but possible, to extortionate and impossible.  :no:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

Some of the quotes are reasonable, and similar over 3 years to the old pricing. There are a number of quotes that are a fraction the cost of the highest. It does appear most are higher priced now than before.

For those with the £39k quotes none of them have provided any additional details. We don't know their feed type (aerial, ducted, direct buried), location (rural/urban), and the biggie, distance.

£39k isn't all that much if they are miles from the Aggregation Node.
Knowing their band under the old pricing or an estimated distance to local FTTC cabs could perhaps explain why those half a dozen quotes are so high. They may all be have been band I (3km+), J (5km+) or K (8km+).

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »

£39K for FTTPoD - forget it! There is no way anyone can afford this! I think this quote is just capped at the maximum £39k for FTTPoD installation inbuilt charge. Maybe Cerberus want to put off all residential customers.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »

It's not Cerberus, it's OpenReach who provides the quote.
It's just a desktop survey, likely widely inaccurate.
You need to pay for a full survey to get an accurate quote.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »

And the survey is non refundable if not go ahead. I think around £250 something like that

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »

If one of the £39,000 quotee's went on to pay for a real quote then it would be interesting to see how much difference the quotes have.

FTTPoD was a good potential way to 1. gauge support for full fibre, and 2. knowing the customer would be sharing the build costs.

Most of these FTTP companies seem to be in a don't blink first contest at the moment.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/expensive-reality-uk-fttp-demand-broadband-hits-home.html
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4586020-fttpod-unreal-pricing.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Well it looks like FOD is for the rich and FTTC/G.fast for the poor. So start buying those lottery ticket and you too could have a 300 service from BT.  :no: :'(
Will be interesting to see how much the quote I get will be!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/fttp-demand-order-capacity-still-constrained-uk-isps.html

It seems even if you're rich you still have to fight to get in the first 20 order requests per month (competing against all of the UK) to be able to order it.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 10:12:19 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/fttp-demand-order-capacity-still-constrained-uk-isps.html

It seems even if you're rich you still have to fight to get in the first 20 order requests per month (competing against all of the UK) to be able to order it.

Yeah, this really does show OR are struggling to build FF system. My new quote came in at £10k from Cerberus. So quiet cheep! lol.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:57 PM »

I'm wondering if I should see what rough quote I get as I'm about 200 meters or so from an area which is showing as FTTP (no, not FTTP on Demand). Just not sure if it's worth enquiring, and secondly even if I did get a rather good quote (which I doubt) and went ahead after the actual survey too I also have to consider I'm on a busy road and I would hate to be responsible for potentially disrupting traffic temporarily.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything