Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New line install question  (Read 10371 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: New line install question
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »

I'll wait to see if Black Sheep can reply but if the engineer would poke the cable into the loft and I could pull through 5m or so along the loft to the top of the loft ladder that would be nice to know if that would be acceptable method to an engineer?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »

Just seen the latest 'status' on my Zen new line installation order and...

Work in progress, since 14/02/2018 17:06

Wait for committed date - FAILED 17/02/2018 18:45

That was sitting on 'IN PROGRESS' for over a day and now it says 'FAILED'. My order with AAISP earlier however went through fine and I had a committed date within a few hours, although strangely I have an engineer appointment for AM on March 6th even though it was just meant to be a stopped line being restarted.

As a result of Zen, I've decided enough is enough with the hiccups I've had towards the end of last year and now this order being 'delayed' for quite a period of time. I have no SIM reference and no committed date with the Zen order for the new line installation since the 14th and yet the order with AAISP was done in a few hours :lol:. I will probably signup to CIX for the voice phone line, they have a fairly sophisticated control panel and a good price for the line rental and phone calls.

The above is assuming I can cancel my pending order with Zen on Monday. I know I'll lose my phone number but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »

I believe the Openreach service you require is a "change of point of entry". It is a chargeable service but you can have the drop-cable, service feed and master socket moved to your desired location.

Weaver, I know, has made use of that service and a quick search of his posting history turns up the following --

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9723.msg296497.html#msg296497
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16300.msg302183.html#msg302183
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18586.msg334611.html#msg334611
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »

I believe the Openreach service you require is a "change of point of entry". It is a chargeable service but you can have the drop-cable, service feed and master socket moved to your desired location.

Weaver, I know, has made use of that service and a quick search of his posting history turns up the following --

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9723.msg296497.html#msg296497
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16300.msg302183.html#msg302183
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18586.msg334611.html#msg334611

Interesting, I'll consider it potentially a last resort option. Thing is I doubt they can route the drop cable to the front wall of the house because there's no pole at the front which is line of sight (blocked by some houses). The only two ways I can see them doing this is either to go through the back wall via one of the back bedrooms to reach the front bedroom, or alternatively to go over the roof to reach the front wall of the front bedroom (that's assuming they can and are allowed to go on a roof). If I had line of sight to the pole at the front then I could possibly be connected to the PCP that's closer to me, sadly I don't have line of sight and secondly I don't know if they'd change the PCP I was connected to as a result.

I'll call Zen on Monday and see if I can cancel the new line installation, I'll proceed with AAISP for now and perhaps contact them to enquire about this. They might have an opinion on it and may well suggest that I still pay for a "change of point of entry". In order to keep my current number I might have it ported to their VoIP service and then just configure my Gigaset phones to use that.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »

I'll wait to see if Black Sheep can reply but if the engineer would poke the cable into the loft and I could pull through 5m or so along the loft to the top of the loft ladder that would be nice to know if that would be acceptable method to an engineer?

Aye, engineers are bound by the 'Working in confined spaces' rules and regs, a loft space falls within this category.

In general terms, if the area is boarded and had sufficient lighting, then we are allowed to enter ...... otherwise not.

Of course, most engineers will apply common-sense and will always work with the EU. There would be no issue at all if you performed the loft part of the installation.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »

Of course, most engineers will apply common-sense and will always work with the EU. There would be no issue at all if you performed the loft part of the installation.
Thanks for the info so as long as the socket was accessible from the top of the loft ladder and the engineer didn't have to set foot in the loft that would generally be ok?  Would the end user pulling cable through existing ducting for the engineer be acceptable also, if you ask the engineer to poke through 10m of cable and end user puts it in the existing ducting in the loft as long as it doesn't take ages to do this that would be ok?  Thanks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »

Thanks for the info so as long as the socket was accessible from the top of the loft ladder and the engineer didn't have to set foot in the loft that would generally be ok?  Would the end user pulling cable through existing ducting for the engineer be acceptable also, if you ask the engineer to poke through 10m of cable and end user puts it in the existing ducting in the loft as long as it doesn't take ages to do this that would be ok?  Thanks

Yes to all the above ^^^. In fact they would probably be quite suited that the EU is doing a lot of the work.  ;) :) :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »

Well good news is that the new line installation order with CIX is complete in no more than a few hours. I need to change the appointment date but I'm told once I have the login (tomorrow?) then I can do this from their control panel.

In the meantime Zen... guess? If you guessed 'pending' then you would be 100% correct! Five days, I think, with no committed date still :lol:. I've sent them an email asking them to cancel the order so waiting for their response.

As for AAISP, I've been told that I have an engineer appointment for some reason but they're finding out why and will let me know. I ordered it as a 'stopped line to be restarted' which shouldn't have required an engineer appointment.

Fun times!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »

As for AAISP, I've been told that I have an engineer appointment for some reason but they're finding out why and will let me know. I ordered it as a 'stopped line to be restarted' which shouldn't have required an engineer appointment.

Do either A&A or you know whether that stopped line has, in the PCP, jumpers linking the D- & E-side cables or does it have connections, via the tie cables, to the DSLAM in the "fibre twin" cabinet?

If the answer to the above is "uncertain" or "unknown" then you will require an engineer appointment.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

Do either A&A or you know whether that stopped line has, in the PCP, jumpers linking the D- & E-side cables or does it have connections, via the tie cables, to the DSLAM in the "fibre twin" cabinet?

If the answer to the above is "uncertain" or "unknown" then you will require an engineer appointment.

I won't know until AAISP confirm, but you could be right. Perhaps the stopped line is actually disconnected and needs reconnecting at the PCP or somewhere between the PCP and the house.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »

Well AAISP tried to change it to the afternoon on my request, due to removal van arriving at the current house in the morning on that day, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to get an afternoon slot so I've left it as the morning and will have someone else waiting at the current house while I'll be at the new house for the engineer. I still don't know anything more than 'BT says an appointment is required', I don't think AAISP had more clarification either. I think you're right though, maybe a pair of wires needs reconnecting somewhere and then presumably tested from the master socket to make sure the new connection is working fine.

So, about two weeks from now in the morning I've got an engineer 'restarting the stopped line' for the AAISP service and in the afternoon on the same day I've got an appointment to put in a second line for CIX (phone calls only but I might consider bonding FTTC later on :), especially as AAISP now do quota balancing between terabyte and non-terabyte as far as I know).

I like the CIX control panel, although I've not seen the full functionality yet I do see options to adjust the appointment date/time, add notes for the engineer or such at the moment. They were helpful on the phone, resolving an slight hiccup with me not receiving my login when expected. Manual ordering form is a bit limited so you have to say what you want when you order for the first time, e.g. if you want a SIM2 code then you'll need to ask for that in the comments. However once you're signed up you can place orders automatically in future as well as requesting such things. For example, https://i.imgur.com/2R29Lfm.png. For my setup however I ended up not using a SIM2 code hence two lines at the moment :D.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »

Thank you. I look forward to your future updates, as and when events take place.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 12:01:15 AM »

All's well that ends well, as the phrase goes :P.

Frames activity completed today (AAISP), then shortly after that I had an email from AAISP informing me that the engineer appointment is no longer required :). I assume it's something like they found the pair that connect to the new house, cancelling the original necessity for an engineer appointment. Monday evening (5th) I'll have a spare modem and router at the new house plugged in and when it's live the following morning I'll get an email, as it now means I can be at the old (current) house in the morning for the removal company instead of someone else being here in my place.

Well, see you in about two weeks, hopefully good speeds and a less troublesome line which doesn't mean I have to moderately band/cap it. In the meantime more packing and organising to do :-\.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 12:10:12 AM »

All's well that ends well, as the phrase goes :P.

:thumbs:

Well, see you in about two weeks, hopefully good speeds and a less troublesome line which doesn't mean I have to moderately band/cap it. In the meantime more packing and organising to do :-\.

Will you be entrusting all your computing equipment and peripherals to "the shifters" or is that going in your own car?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 12:36:44 AM »

:thumbs:

Will you be entrusting all your computing equipment and peripherals to "the shifters" or is that going in your own car?

Haha, definitely me that will be handling any computer/networking equipment. I don't want to risk them breaking something that's quite expensive to replace. Accidents can happen, if I have an accident (though highly unlikely) then it's my own fault :).
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything