Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed capping to reduce errors  (Read 5020 times)

Ornum

Speed capping to reduce errors
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »

I'd like to try the advice given here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16427.0.html but have no idea how or if it's possible for my hardware. I have a TP-Link W9980 with LEDE installed. Does anyone have any idea how to go about capping my sync rate with this setup?

Cheers!

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Speed capping to reduce errors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »

You can't I don't think. Needs to be a Broadcom based modem. Any TP-Link that is Broadcom, they block access to the necessary CLI commands.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ornum

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »

Any idea if I can do it with the BT Home Hub 5 or the router that Plusnet provides?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »

Pretty much these models.
Needs to be Broadcom with access to the CLI.
I don't think any ISP supplied modem allows this.

Some Lantiq modems let you adjust the snrm I believe which you might be able to accomplish the same thing with but you would need advice from others if going down that route.
It wouldn't be a sync cap as such but aiming for a high snrm would lower the sync as a result. A bit more hit & miss.
Same applies that no ISP modem will allow this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »

Pretty much these models.
Needs to be Broadcom with access to the CLI.
I don't think any ISP supplied modem allows this.

Some Lantiq modems let you adjust the snrm I believe which you might be able to accomplish the same thing with but you would need advice from others if going down that route.
It wouldn't be a sync cap as such but aiming for a high snrm would lower the sync as a result. A bit more hit & miss.
Same applies that no ISP modem will allow this.

DrayTek Vigor devices, such as the 2860, do this. They allow you to adjust the SNRM target as an offset between -5 dB to +5 dB via the CLI.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »

And of course running LEDE, the 9980 will have access to the full Lantiq CLI, with the same +/- 5 dB SNRM adjustment.

For example, for +2 dB, I think it is:
Code: [Select]
dsl_cpe_pipe locs 0 20If the firmware doesn't have the dsl_cpe_pipe executable, you'll have to refer to the DSL scripts within the firmware to see how they do things.

It may be possible to actually cap the rate using the Lantiq CLI, however this would require using "dsl_cpe_pipe dms ..." and working out a lot of hexadecimal to specify the content of the CMD_BearerCh0_DS_Set structure, which should be possible with reference to the source code.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »

Surly there is no way to adjust the SNRM via EU's equipment on FTTC it must be just a sync cap you lower the sync the SNRM goes up you then increase the sync the SNRM goes down.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:11:31 PM »

Surly there is no way to adjust the SNRM via EU's equipment on FTTC it must be just a sync cap you lower the sync the SNRM goes up you then increase the sync the SNRM goes down.

Nope, the SNRM target offset setting for FTTC/VDSL2 works on DrayTek Vigor's, at least the 2860Vac when I tried it. You can adjust the offset by -5 to +5 dB in increments of 0.1 dB. As long as the maximum sync rate isn't already met, you can reduce the target SNRM below the setting on the DSLAM for the downstream.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »

Ok so why is the maximum set to +5dB can you set your SNRM above 6dB  to say 7 or 9 dB  or 3dB and 4dB

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »

If the target SNRM from the DSLAM is 6 dB, and you add 5 dB, you should end up connecting with a SNRM of 11 dB.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »

If the target SNRM from the DSLAM is 6 dB, and you add 5 dB, you should end up connecting with a SNRM of 11 dB.

That would be the same if I capped my sync of 40Mbps to 20Mbps the result is 11dB but XdB has me on 4dB and that you cannot change unless the DLM sees issues.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

That would be the same if I capped my sync of 40Mbps to 20Mbps the result is 11dB but XdB has me on 4dB and that you cannot change unless the DLM sees issues.

Unless you're at the maximum sync rate already, you can make this -1 dB on the DrayTek (vdsl snr -10 if I recall correctly) which will reduce your target SNRM to 3 dB in the above scenario. The setting on the DrayTek is an offset, not an absolute value. If I had an SNRM target of 6 dB and I wanted it to be 3 dB then I would do something like 'vdsl snr -30' (without quotes).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »

SO just get a DrayTek and set the SNR to -30 to get a target margin of 3dB on FTTC if only it was that simple why wait for XdB just get one of these modems
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:32:10 PM by NewtronStar »

GaryW

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »

Based on my (limited) experience, I'm not sure it's quite that simple...

I have a Billion 8900AX-2400, which syncs at a (banded) 14999 DS.  The SNRM at first sync is around 8dB if I sync in daylight or 6.5dB if I sync at night - drifting down over time to around 6.5dB during daylight hours and 4.5dB at its lowest over night.

I briefly tried a Draytek 2760, at a point when I knew from my Billion that I was banded at 14999.  Without tweaking the SNRM offset on the Draytek, it synced at 11400 (ish, can't remember exactly) - I know that looks like a banded limit, but I immediately switched back to the Billion and was straight back to 14999.  Based on memory (I don't have detailed stats that far back), when my line had been banded at 11400 in the past the SNRM when my Billion first synced was in the region of 12dB.  I just gave up on the Draytek (sent it back) without really looking at stats or playing with parameters - didn't seem worth it since the starting point was so poor - but my guess would be that if I'd played with the SNRM offset it may have got me back towards the 14999 that the Billion achieves without any tweaking.  i.e. no gain.

Has anybody tried back-to-back tests between a decent Broadcom modem and a Draytek to see what really happens?  I don't doubt that playing with the SNRM offset improves the sync on the Draytek, but what would the sync have been if a Broadcom-based modem had been used w/o any tweaking?
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

Based on my (limited) experience, I'm not sure it's quite that simple...

I have a Billion 8900AX-2400, which syncs at a (banded) 14999 DS.  The SNRM at first sync is around 8dB if I sync in daylight or 6.5dB if I sync at night - drifting down over time to around 6.5dB during daylight hours and 4.5dB at its lowest over night.

I briefly tried a Draytek 2760, at a point when I knew from my Billion that I was banded at 14999.  Without tweaking the SNRM offset on the Draytek, it synced at 11400 (ish, can't remember exactly) - I know that looks like a banded limit, but I immediately switched back to the Billion and was straight back to 14999.  Based on memory (I don't have detailed stats that far back), when my line had been banded at 11400 in the past the SNRM when my Billion first synced was in the region of 12dB.  I just gave up on the Draytek (sent it back) without really looking at stats or playing with parameters - didn't seem worth it since the starting point was so poor - but my guess would be that if I'd played with the SNRM offset it may have got me back towards the 14999 that the Billion achieves without any tweaking.  i.e. no gain.

Has anybody tried back-to-back tests between a decent Broadcom modem and a Draytek to see what really happens?  I don't doubt that playing with the SNRM offset improves the sync on the Draytek, but what would the sync have been if a Broadcom-based modem had been used w/o any tweaking?

I'm pretty sure the reason why the DrayTek syncs lower, if you're on fastpath that is, is because it applies reed solomon coding (R: 16) on the downstream where as a modem with a Broadcom chipset doesn't seem to (R: 0). As such the 'R: 16' reduces the sync rate as there's a light amount of error correction. I imagine all devices with a Lantiq do this for some reason.

I've used both Zyxel/HG612 and DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac and of course the HG612/Zyxel can get a higher sync as they have a Broadcom chipset where the DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac has a Lantiq chipset. I've played with the SNRM offset on the DrayTek and it can allow for a higher sync rate if you reduce it, provided the maximum sync rate isn't already achieved.
Pages: [1] 2