Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Salon website mining crypto-currency  (Read 2533 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Salon website mining crypto-currency
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/02/salon-to-ad-blockers-can-we-use-your-browser-to-mine-cryptocurrency/

Salon.com has a new, cryptocurrency-driven strategy for making money when readers block ads. If you want to read Salon without seeing ads, you can do so—as long as you let the website use your spare computing power to mine some coins.

If you visit Salon with an ad blocker enabled, you might see a pop-up that asks you to disable the ad blocker or "Block ads by allowing Salon to use your unused computing power."

I think this is a worrying trend. I noticed once when I went on youtube last month my cpu usage shot up and a warning from firefox saying a tab was slowing the browser down. When I clicked off youtube all went back to normal. Then a couple of weeks later there was an article in a computer magazine saying how certain adverts on youtube were crypto-currency mining and that those adverts have now been removed.

I've seen quite a few of these stories of people finding ways to use other peoples computer power when they visit certain websites.

What do people here think?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Salon website mining crypto-currency
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

Under no circumstances would I visit that website.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »

If the user is made aware, and it does not use excessive CPU power then I don't see a problem with it*, websites have to be paid for somehow.

*Obviously it should stop when you leave that website.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »

Part of me says “at least they are being honest”.   But regardless of views on rights and wrongs of mining, which I barely understand anyway, one thing strikes me...

...Until the arstechnica article,  I had never heard of the website concerned.  Now I have, and it is involuntarily lodged in my subconscious.  I have no idea what the website is and no inclination at all to visit, but I will recognise the name.   If the aim was to discredit that website then it has failed, they have merely given it free advertising (any publicity being good publicity). ???

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »

Salon is an American news and opinion website, created by David Talbot in 1995 and currently owned by the Salon Media Group. It focuses on U.S. politics, culture, and current events from a politically progressive, liberal or left-wing perspective. Wikipedia
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:17 PM »

More free advertising, then?  :wall:   :D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »

I saw that as confirming I had no reason to go to the actual site to find out what it was!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »

I saw that as confirming I had no reason to go to the actual site to find out what it was!

Understood. :)

My concern is that the more identifiable mentions they get, in the press and in forums, the more traffic they will get.   But if that was their aim all along, they’ve probably already succeeded.  ::)