Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT and Sky in £4.46bn Deal to Show 160 Premier League TV Matches  (Read 1178 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/bt-sky-sign-4-46bn-deal-show-160-premier-league-tv-matches.html

Both BT and Sky UK (Sky Broadband) will continue to spend big on their respective UK Pay TV platforms after tonight reaching a £4.464bn deal, which will allow them to show Premier League Football matches for a further 3 years from the 2019/20 season onwards.

The battle between BT and Sky reached new heights in 2015 after Sky spent around £1.392bn and BT splashed out £320m per season on a major Premier League TV football rights deal for the 2016/17 to 2018/19 seasons (here). But in recent months the once bitter relationship has begun to thaw, not least due to several agreements related to the cross-platform supply of premium TV and related sports content.

Ok, I'm going to call this. My prediction in light of this news, and also the previous news about their cross platform tv channel deal, is that BT/OR and Sky will form some kind of financial alliance in the full fibre market that might be announced this year at some point.

In apost I read a few days ago when TalkTalk was looking to get in to the full fibre market, someone said that Sky was the only big player not involved at network level in the full fibre scene. With Sky announcing a slow move to broadband channels instead of using the dishes they will have a bigger focus on how those broadband connections are managed. So it will make more and more sense to get involved at least through investment in expanding full fibre across UK. That is my 2 pennies worth :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BT and Sky in £4.46bn Deal to Show 160 Premier League TV Matches
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »

So the new deal is down on value, but not a crash, about 0.6 billion down from 5.1 billion.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »

Hmm. This co-operation on content rights is nothing to do with any co-operation on network. Different bits of BT.

I would imagine any co-operation between Openreach and Sky to be along the lines of Sky agreeing to become an anchor tenant.

While it all comes down to money at the end of the day the UK only has so many companies and so much labour and skill to deploy this technology. To carry out their FTTC/P rollout Openreach required immigrant labour. That alongside Virgin Media's Project Lightning delivers yet more demands on contractors. That project may carry on for a while past the original phase. Add to that Vodafone and the TalkTalk + partner rollout should it happen and you've a workload that the UK simply does not have the ability to handle and, in the context of our current environment, we'll struggle to change that.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »

All very good if you like watching football on TV. I don't and I feel the cost of BT is higher than it might be due to having to cover these costs.

I will probably move when out of contract.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2