Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: ISP Bridge Tap Claims  (Read 14635 times)

steenamaroo

Re: ISP Bridge Tap Claims
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »

Understood. I'll ask around - Perhaps I can borrow one.
Do you know, can I flash other firmware to the HH5. It's sitting here doing nothing...

Thanks once again for the assistance, everyone.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »

. . . I would say even a Home Hub 5A (Lantiq) would be preferable to the D-Link . . .
Your mileage may vary with a Lantiq chipset. I know the other line here on FTTC (VDSL, with an attenuation of 9.4 dB) was syncing near full 80/20 on a Broadcom chipset using the Billion 8800NL. However, switching the to the Plusnet Hub One (which is a modified HH5A) caused a lot of disconnections (as the SNR dropped into the minus figures very often), hightened error rates (I do not remember exactly, but it was enough to bring browsing and downloads to a standstill) and even a replacement exhibited the same behaviour. This caused the speeds to drop to under 67 Mbps (I think) and it took a very long time to recover to roughly the same speed as before.

Previously, on ADSL, I had the TD-W8970 (v1 I believe, which has a Lantiq XWAY VRX268) for a period of time and it was just so damn unstable with the same symptoms as mentioned above. I admit, it was a fairly attentuated line at 42 dB. But the Broadcom-based Technicolor 582n and Billion 8800NL could happily hold sync at around 7700 Kbps downstream at 6db, even with fastpath.

. . . but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use one on a TalkTalk circuit as it is locked to a BT username and password.

Oops, I should have mentioned that it was locked down for clarity sake. As far as I know, Home Hubs will work on Plusnet and BT connections only.

Do you know, can I flash other firmware to the HH5. It's sitting here doing nothing...

I am not sure about the HH5B. I know it is possible to flash the HH5A with OpenWRT, but you would need the Type A variant, confidence in your soldering and understanding of serial. ;)
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

As you say @re0 'mileage may vary'.
On my circa 850m line I find that Lantiq (VRX-268 I believe, in both a HH5A and a TP-Link TD-W9980 that I have tried) syncs a few Mbps slower than Broadcom but is still perfectly stable and with acceptable errors.
The only MediaTek I've tried (in a D-Link DSL3882) was very bad for ES and I didn't leave it on the line for long for fear of the wrath of DLM.

The way I would summarise it is that Broadcom based modems seem to behave well on the vast majority of lines, whereas Lantiq and MediaTek (especially) are far more variable in their performance.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »

@tubaman

Actually, now that I come to think about it, it may have been before G.INP was enabled on my line when I had trouble with Lantiq-based PN Hub One. Even still, the point is here that Broadcom did a much better job prior to G.INP being enabled, and Broadcom did not cause me weeks of disconnects and slow speed. >:(

steenamaroo

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »

Technicolor 582n seems very affordable used although I'm concerned about the 10/100 lan for file transfer within my network.

Also considering an HG612 in conjunction with my existing router or the HH5.
I know these are getting old but seem to have a reputation for being stable,
and I've never had any problem with wifi to warrant an upgrade there.

If I understand correctly the 10/100 between modem and router would only bottleneck (but actually wouldn't) the internet connection, while lan machines on the network would communicate with eachother @1000 via the router?

Have I got this right, and do those seems like decent options?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »

If I understand correctly the 10/100 between modem and router would only bottleneck (but actually wouldn't) the internet connection, while lan machines on the network would communicate with eachother @1000 via the router?

Yes, quite correct.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »

I'm not sure what you are planning to do with the Technicolor 582n, but its modem is ADSL only, you would need to use it with a HG612 or some other separate VDSL2 modem for FTTC.

steenamaroo

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »

Oh, that's my bad. Thank you ejs.
Sounds like 612 in conjunction with one my my existing routers is a solid enough plan.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »

I've got a 612 Flashed with the correct firmware etc going spare, it's posted in the swap shop section if you're interested. £15 all in.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »

Technicolor 589vac (V1 or V2) is Broadcom based and there are plenty available at good prices.
I don't know if they work with DSL Stats, but they do have far better line stats available than your current box.
Worth a punt if you just want something cheap to see if it helps.

Zyxel units are the most popular on here, and are DSL Stats compatible, but they usually cost a bit more.
 :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:01:52 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

steenamaroo

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »

Just updating.
TalkTalk claim to have changed my DLM policy at my request although, surprise surprise, they didn't happen to mention what to/from, so I've asked for clarification.

Anyway, the hope is that they'll set me to speed policy and reset DLM completely, by which time I'll have a 589vac to test.
I snagged one for £13 on the bay.

Thank you for the offer of a 612, Andy!

I'll let you fellas know how I get on.
Once again, your help is much appreciated. :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »

I would be surprised if they set the DLM profile to anything other than Standard. Hopefully they will be able to clarify what to, or perhaps they will probably end up saying they haven't done it and it's not possible for them to do it :lol: ... would be typical of TT ::). But either way, we can hope that the DLM reset will allow you to attain your line's full potential once you have your new router! :fingers:

Keep us posted.

steenamaroo

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »

They said the network team had done it. Personally I'd be surprised if the network team exists! :p
Anyway, here's hoping.

steenamaroo

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »

Hey fellas,
TalkTalk are adamant that they have now set me to speed policy rather than stable.

I had assumed that changing profile and resetting DLM were going to be two different things,
but am now being told that they're one in the same.

I've come here for a plain english answer in fewer than 300 posts. ;)
Would changing my policy to speed reset any previous caps/banding/limitations place on the line by DLM?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »

It certainly isn't a DLM reset so I would say probably not. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything