Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: G.Fast Pods  (Read 39544 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: G.Fast Pods
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »

Nice result there Sniper, I believe you're the first on the forum with G.Fast
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:50 PM »

looks pretty solid, congrats on the good line :)

given g.fast has vectoring, hopefully that sync speed should be a solid for the future.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »

I doubt it, not with DLM on it.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »

Perfect speeds there! Impressive, fully adverised speeds.

Out of interest, what is the 'Ultrafast' hub? With g.fast, can you still use a sperate openreach modem, or do you HAVE to use their hub?
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »

Out of interest, what is the 'Ultrafast' hub? With g.fast, can you still use a sperate openreach modem, or do you HAVE to use their hub?

BT Smart Hub X

If you're not using BT, then the engineer should leave a standalone openreach modem instead unless your ISP offers their own combined unit.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »

BT Smart Hub X

If you're not using BT, then the engineer should leave a standalone openreach modem instead unless your ISP offers their own combined unit.

Cheers. By the time it's available to me, I imagine this will be a self-install job anyway. Still amazed they still ship those rubbish filter things, they could at least offer the option to ship a SSFP.
 I think the HG612 modem is already G.Fast ready, so if I already have this and I get g.fast enabled then I should be able to continue to use it?

I've never been a huge fan of ISP's who force you to use their own kit etc.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »

I think the HG612 modem is already G.Fast ready, so if I already have this and I get g.fast enabled then I should be able to continue to use it?

Afraid the HG612 is quite an old model now and doesn't support G.Fast.

I am sure there will be quite a few 3rd party G.Fast modems going forward but as its early days I would actually prefer to use either ISP kit or the supplied OR modem (the new equivalent to the HG612B).

If someone is really lucky, I guess an OR engineer might leave both an OR modem as well as any ISP kit supplied.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »

I've actually seen a new ASUS one out which is already offering G.Fast support - it's around £300 though!

One bonus of having to wait is that at least it will be bedded in with plenty of options...

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:32 AM »

STEER CLEAR of the ASUS (DSL-AC88U) VDSL/G-FAST wireless router, it's a nightmare, full of bugs which they are taking AGES to fix.
I have one which I tried to use on BT Infinity 2, but it's currently back in it's box as it won't work properly with the BT-TV IPTV channels.
The streaming SD channels are ok, but HD is iffy & UHD doesn't work at all, with my TP-LINK router however all channels work perfectly.
It's been nearly a year now since this bug was acknowledged by ASUS but they just keep saying it WILL be fixed in a future firmware update.
Also lots of DHCP issues which are ongoing, many people are complaining that their Amazon wireless devices don't like it either, frequent drop-outs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:19:09 AM by smallal »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »

STEER CLEAR of the ASUS (DSL-AC88U) VDSL/G-FAST wireless router, it's a nightmare, full of bugs which they are taking AGES to fix.
I have one which I tried to use on BT Infinity 2, but it's currently back in it's box as it won't work properly with the BT-TV IPTV channels.
The streaming SD channels are ok, but HD is iffy & UHD doesn't work at all, with my TP-LINK router however all channels work perfectly.
It's been nearly a year now since this bug was acknowledged by ASUS but they just keep saying it WILL be fixed in a future firmware update.
Also lots of DHCP issues which are ongoing, many people are complaining that their Amazon wireless devices don't like it either, frequent drop-outs.

ASUS never fixed the issues with the previous DSL series (e.g. DSL-AC68U). I'd stay away from ASUS modems full stop. They make good motherboards, graphics cards, or such, but when it comes to networking equipment it's certainly questionable.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »

It the modems that let them down, their routers are fantastic, but the modems are not. :)
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »

I'm using one on Plusnet 80/20 with no problems whatsoever.

It's currently on 106 days uptime with numerous WiFi devices connected including a couple of Echo Shows.

Now TV & Amazon Prime work fine and Youtube 4K plays without issue.

I'm running a debug version of the firmware which gives telnet access thus monitoring capabilities via DSLStats.

No complaints here.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »

No complaints here.

You'll get yourself thrown off the forum with that attitude, Browni !!!

;) ;D ;D ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »

Now TV & Amazon Prime work fine and Youtube 4K plays without issue.

None of which are Multicast, like Youview IPTV channels (Talktalk TV, BT TV, Plusnet TV). I returned mine to Amazon within a few days after failing to get any of the HD channels working. That was over 6 months ago but still they haven't got it right.

I've been following the DSL-AC88U on the Asus forums and the device was released while the firmware was alpha at best.
There's still a number of issues with the most recent firmware.

It's a huge improvement on the DSL-AC68U but Asus just don't seem to give the same amount of resources to the DSL models that they do their RT counterparts.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »

I was looking at the G.fast map here: https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#9/53.8023/-1.5841/gfast/ I had to zoom out to see entire UK.

I was surprised at how few G.fast pods are on the map! It's hardly anything. I assumed the G.fast dots would have been nearly everywhere, at least all over the inner cities.

I know the map relies on either active pod knowledge or people doing a speed test and it won't be 100% up to date. But I would say the people likely to get G.fast are the more knowledgable customers and so are more likely to be checking their speeds.

In Greater Manchester there are G.fast pods in these areas; (North East) Rochdale, (North West) Bolton, (South East) Droylsden, and these general areas; Longsight and Levenshulme, and Rusholme.

Considering there is a 40 KM ring of dark fibre (now bought by CityFibre) thats been around since Manchester hosted the Commonwealth games in 2002 I'm surprised there isnt more of a presence of at least G.fast pods and maybe too FTTP.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

anything