Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: G.Fast Pods  (Read 39552 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: G.Fast Pods
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »

Here is layout of where the cabinet pcp 8 by the spar self service. Marked Dark Green is FTTC Cabinet and Light Green is PCP 8 and Dark Purple is where my house is.
As you can see it not that far from the street cabinet with a distance walk away. So, these first 7 houses should be the same estimated speed of VDSL2 80/20 in Range A and G.Fast Range A should be 330/50. Bit further away from this house would get less!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:04:33 PM by adslmax »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »

Ah, thank you for that map. I see what you mean.

As a result of the topography of the area, I was not able to "walk" around for a "look" but but had to resort to "flying overhead" and then "looking down".

I'm sure that once the service is live and end users begin to purchase it, we will then see the BT Wholesale database reflecting real data rather than the current estimates.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

Very strange odd as 13 houses won't get g.fast but the rest of 27 houses does! Every houses do not get 330/50 (one house get 330/50 the next door get worse case 150/19. All houses doesn't have any telephone poles at all. All houses in this area are underground copper cable to the street cabinet.

I agree with you Kitz and Burakkucat - it best wait until it went live and connected as BT database isn't always spot on with estimates like Plusnet saying my line cannot go above 70.5 say BTw checker but that rubbish as my line was full sync at 80/20 for so long. :)

What is I don't get it, why is 13 houses are not g.fast planned? Really weirdo.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »

What is I don't get it, why is 13 houses are not g.fast planned? Really weirdo.

The only suggestion I can make is, perhaps, the person responsible for entering the information into the database was just as confused as me (when I initially tried to understand the layout of the area)!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »

There is another way to look at this! How about getting a services map from the council? This should show water gas electric and hopefully phone. Then you could may be trace the route better. Looking at the map Willow field is made up of three closes! Which begs the question if they're all from Cab 8 and the rest of the area. How did the estate get laid out?
Regards.
David

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »

All houses in willowfield and other area are from cabinet 8 as it probably over 250 houses in this area. Very large area with too many terrace houses.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »

Updated:

Got email reply from Openreach:

Hi,

In summary yours should be the same not sure why its reading differently unless it’s a data anomaly.

The only other actual factor could be the wiring in your home depending on layout this can generate some speed loses.

However estimated speeds from the checkers should be the same based on your house distance to cabinet and the network resistances/line loss.

My home wiring to master socket from outside below:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:43:23 PM by adslmax »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 12:30:24 AM »

OMG Max.   Do you actually listen to a word I said or am I just wasting my breath.  >:(
You are getting OCD about something that isn't yet available and over estimates.

Did you actually take note of the fact that I said its not just distance from the cab, but distance from the DP or UG joint box.   When it comes to g.fast you are going to get houses which are nearer the cab, but wont get as much speed because their actual line length will be several meters longer. 

I can't believe you've contacted Openreach about this.  Why some houses haven't got an estimate I've no idea, perhaps the data isn't available yet, but why are you concerned at such an early stage?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »

I'm going to repeat for the final time that distance from the cab is not the only factor, You need to know what route the U/G cabling takes, and where the DP's and JBs are.

It's even possible that line lengths have been estimated from say any attenuation records they may have, or likely based on estimated line length to the entrance of the property.   If the line is with VM then they won't have any data, which is why some houses may not have an estimate, or the line length may be too long to be of benefit.

Now I'm going to try again put it in simple terms, but you have been hanging around DSL forums long enough to be able to know the basics.

This is the BTw estimates for my daughters street..  on first glance it doesnt look logical.  <-- signifies my daughters house. NH = some new builds.   The cab is around the corner & 2 streets away from #1.   I'm only doing one side of the street.

Code: [Select]

1 330
3 330
5 238
7 245.2
9 150.4
11 249.1
15 264.9 <---
17 273.2
19 281.2
21 228.6 NH
23 264.9 NH
25 256.9 NH

So how can my daughters estimate of 265Mbps be 115Mbps more than a house which is nearer the cab. And how can a house further away from the cab than she is get 16Mbps more?  It doesn't make sense when you look at it like that.

Next... It's really easy to see why when you start filling in the blanks.   They have telegraph poles and using g.maps I can see that certain premises are on a DP which is further away from the cab..  but then the distance from the pole back to the house can add quite a bit of line length.   Now Lets add the locations of the DPs.

1 330 DP Corner of street which is also serves some houses on the main road.
3 330
5 238
7 245.2
9 150.4
11 249.1
15 264.9 <---
17 273.2
19 281.2 DP I can see that this pole is serving #19,17,15,11 & #9 
21 228.6 NH
23 264.9 NH
25 256.9 NH

Now lets fill in the blanks and it all makes perfect sense, why some lines get more and some less despite the house distance from the cab.

1 330 DP DP[a]
3 330 DP[a]
5 238 DP[a]
7 245.2 DP[a]

9 150.4 DP[b]
11 249.1 DP[b]
15 264.9 <--- DP[b]
17 273.2 DP[b]
19 281.2 DP DP[b]

21 228.6 NH DP[c]
23 264.9 NH DP[c]
25 256.9 NH DP[c]

#9 has a much longer line length than #19 despite it being nearer the cab, because it has to go all the way to the pole outside no #19 then loop back on itself which another length of cable from the pole back to the house.

Whilst its easy to see when on OH cable, similar will be happening on your estate just that its hidden UG.  There will be lots of houses nearer the cab but with longer line distance due to location of the JB.

Honestly max if you can't get this theory which has taken me ages to type out, then I give up all hope.   Please make sure you read it properly and try to digest the info or else there is absolutely no point me wasting my time trying to explain.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »

Yikes, Phil, you really, really don't like the idea of not synching at the full rate, do you?

Could be worse.

Someone 30 seconds walk from me:

Address *snip* on Exchange HUNSLET is served by Cabinet 82
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High Low High Low

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 68.4 20 19 60.7 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 65.1 20 18.4 49.5 Available Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 330 50 41.6 330 Planned Planned
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 330 293.2 50 29 274.3 Planned Planned

I have nothing returned for G.fast at all.

Why? Their line takes the shortest path to the cabinet that roads make possible. Due to the order in which the network was built on this development mine does not - it takes a diversion that adds over 300m to line length, meaning their line is 150-200m, while mine is half a kilometre.

Far more extreme than the above but chill, fella. The product hasn't even rolled out and you're already writing to Openreach apparently seeking an explanation why you won't get the full 330.

If you ever get FTTP you're going to be really bored. It'll just.. work. No line stats, no power levels to see, no concerns over distance.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »

Maxnirvana! I hope he'll be blissfully happy. :)

I'm not sure I should say this, but reading his posts, I'm not sure he writes English as a first language.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 12:16:05 PM »

loladslmax.

Why do you even care about anyone else's speed?

I can't believe you've contacted Openreach about this.

I can.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 05:44:49 PM »

Almost there!

According to this link it should be available but it's not showing in the dsl checker yet.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »

Almost there!

According to this link it should be available but it's not showing in the dsl checker yet.

Some can but only dream! :sleep: :sleep:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »

Drama for adslmax over.

Openreach have been updating their database, it was a bit of an early revision that was released earlier in the week and had discrepancies all over the place. A data cleanse has been done and his new clean estimate is..... *drumroll*

330-322.3  down, 50-30.7 up with handback threshold 278.5.

So, with the knowledge that the G.fast estimate is at the high end, the man's life can go on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10