Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: G.Fast Pods  (Read 39846 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: G.Fast Pods
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

I wouldn't trust these map from thinkbroadband because MrSaffron think he is 100% spot on right, he isn't! More likely 80% he got it all wrong! Only Openreach has the real data live, no ones else not even MrSaffron himself!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »

I was looking at the G.fast map here: https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#9/53.8023/-1.5841/gfast/ I had to zoom out to see entire UK.

I was surprised at how few G.fast pods are on the map! It's hardly anything. I assumed the G.fast dots would have been nearly everywhere, at least all over the inner cities.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that data represents those live services which have interacted with the TBB utilities. (I.e. Throughput speed tester, etc)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »

I asked him on his tweet about the map and he replied;

All the ones that we know about that are live and taking orders. If you know of ones that are live (rather than just pod attached but otherwise dormant) then let us know

So I guess by that he means when the pods become live it should light up the map.

Is there any switch-on date for pods? Is it being done in groups based on geographical area? We know some are live, and we know the service is available for some.

I have to say, technical debate about G.fast aside, the marketing for G.fast so far seems like a bit of a shambles.

1. ISP's reluctant to offer it.
2. It only being available to a very limited market.
3. No big switch-on, no progress report.
4. No promotional materials, tv adverts, flyers etc.

Unless a person knows what G.fast is, AND happen to be looking at the dsl checker or go to a ISP offering the service, AND of course happen to be very close to a cabinet, then even if you see G.fast the average person wouldnt know what it is.

For a service that only has a limited potential customer base the lack of promotion will make a bad situation worst.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant. But I am passionate when I don't see the potential of technology or people being fulfilled to the max.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »

So I guess by that he means when the pods become live it should light up the map.

It won't be an automatic process - it will be when TBB are aware they have gone live via speedtests or external information.

Looking at the map, there are no cabs listed in Wandsworth (for instance) showing as live and taking orders though I know some are.

Is there any switch-on date for pods? Is it being done in groups based on geographical area? We know some are live, and we know the service is available for some.

I have to say, technical debate about G.fast aside, the marketing for G.fast so far seems like a bit of a shambles.

The pods appear to be being installed at quite a rate by OR and are RFS immediately. However, until BTW upgrade their backhaul capacity, they are not being shown as RFS on BTW's systems.

On the marketing side - don't forget that g.fast is still officially in a trial/pilot deployment stage - its not been 'officially launched' or 'switched on'. I suspect BT are waiting for more pods to be installed/ready before they officially do this and start marketing in earnest.

Even then, both BT and TalkTalk have launched their packages - along with some smaller ISPs - and are already taking orders

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:25 PM »

I asked him on his tweet about the map and he replied;

Unless a person knows what G.fast is, AND happen to be looking at the dsl checker or go to a ISP offering the service, AND of course happen to be very close to a cabinet, then even if you see G.fast the average person wouldnt know what it is.

For a service that only has a limited potential customer base the lack of promotion will make a bad situation worst.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant. But I am passionate when I don't see the potential of technology or people being fulfilled to the max.

I am in a trial area,Bath, G.Fast cabs all around the city,it was installed last summer on my cabinet, still not live, can't even get on trial, proper shambles.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »

It would be nice if BT Wholesale would update their phoneline checker site with proper information.
Under 'availability date' for the various services they never actually post any dates!
All you get is 'available' - 'planned' - or left blank.
My line has had G-FAST listed as planned for months.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »

They used to have dates for FTTP/C but they would more often that not slip, so I guess it's just better for them not to put dates up.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »

Or BT Wholesale could put G.Fast as showing Planning in processing 90%....80%....70%.....60%.....50%....40%.....30%.....20%....10%....Available instead of dates

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2018, 04:33:41 AM »

As Ronski says they used to put dates months in advance.
It likely just caused them to get dozens of messages when the dates weren't met.
For whatever reason they no longer put dates a long time in advance.

A date does often appear within a week of a cabinet going live. I had a date appear on my cabinet 1 day before it went live. That was back in Jan 2017.

I've seen a couple G.Fast pods do the same, showing a date 1-2 days before it goes live.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:37:07 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »

As Ronski says they used to put dates months in advance.
It likely just caused them to get dozens of messages when the dates weren't met.
For whatever reason they no longer put dates a long time in advance.

Someone complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the availability dates BT/OR used to publish:

Three complainants challenged whether the estimated dates in ads (a) and (b) were misleading and could be substantiated, because in their experience the quoted dates were frequently put back.

In one of their more questionable rulings, the ASA upheld the complaint on the basis that:

We considered that, although the original advertised dates were based on a likely estimated timescale to completion, the revised dates were likely to mislead consumers, because they were not based on an analysis of how long the delays might possibly take. We therefore concluded that the revised dates presented on both availability checkers were misleading.

and ordered:

We told Openreach to ensure that estimated dates displayed on their checker were based on a robust calculation, and were not routinely rolled back without specific information being taken into account. We told BT Consumer not to display estimated dates on their checker unless they could substantiate that Openreach, as the provider of the fibre broadband infrastructure, were using a robust method to calculate those dates.

hence Openreach decided it was simply easier not to publish dates.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:31 AM »

Guys. Openreach have some delays sourcing 10Gb parts for switches for 10Gb CableLinks. It's one of those things. It's not going to hold things up much in the grand scheme as they continue to deploy pods at a rapid clip and will activate them as and when the switches are ready to go.

Having percentages complete isn't feasible, and how many people are really going to benefit from:

'Awaiting Pod installation on PCP'
'Awaiting siamese power/fibre link installation'
'Awaiting additional fibre to parent DSLAM installation'
'Awaiting upgrade of L2S reference xxxxx to support 10Gb CableLink'
'10Gb CableLink capacity available, awaiting 10Gb CableLink delivery'
'Ready for service'

There's really not much that can be done other than what Openreach are. The delays are outside of their control and providing accurate timescales is problematic.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »

Still no pods anywhere near my area. 

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty of areas with no pods. They're going to be on about a third of the UK's cabinets by end of 2020 so given we're less than half way through 2018 and not into the 'official' commercial rollout yet lots to happen.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »

Is there any method to know if you have a chance of getting a pod or not?

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »

There's a list of pilot locations here.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

anything