Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Happy Birthday "Laser"  (Read 3222 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Happy Birthday "Laser"
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »

The first working laser was demonstrated on May 16, 1960 by Theodore Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories.
The term "laser" is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
What would we do with out them.
I remember when I was a "Scientist" the only long room near my Lab was the 'corridor' , so we had permission from the Director to set a very low powered laser (Safe, about the same power as those hand held pointers you can buy) up along the corridor floor, we put up waning notices at each end of the corridor, saying it was a Laser and was very safe and very low powered.
During the two weeks of tests what was normally a very busy corridor was now very empty with only a few other people who were interested or not bothered.
We made some inquiries of some of the office workers who used the corridor ( and made a detour) and they thought it would cut there legs off.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:06:23 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Happy Birthday "Laser"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »

>> The term "laser" is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

You learn something every day :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

You learn something every day

Gor, blimey, the youth of today.... mutter, mutter.  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »

:P
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker