Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Send message as SMS, not iMessage  (Read 16276 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Send message as SMS, not iMessage
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »

I want to get a message a person who is on travels in some far flung and relatively uncivilised place.  I've been warned that I should use SMS text, rather than email, as hotel WiFi is not provided and mobile data will be disabled owing to crippling roaming costs.

Trouble is, because the iMessage server knows we are both Apple users, iPhone messages App insists on sending as iMessage -  which won't get through, if she has data disabled.  There is an iOS Messages setting "Send as SMS", but that only seems to kick in if iMessage is unavailable to the sender.

One way I figured out was to temporarily disable Data and Wifi on the phone, thus rendering iMessage as "Unavailable".  That worked, my message was sent as SMS.  I then have to remember to turn it all back on again.  I suspect signing out of iMessage would have worked too, and signing back in later.   

What a palaver!  >:(

Is there an easier way to force iOS to send just one isolated message as SMS, even though iMessage is available ?

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Send message as SMS, not iMessage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »

If there is I would love to know it! :D

The quickest way I know to turn iMessage off is through Settings>Messages. However, I suspect that once a conversation has begun in SMS, it will continue like that until the conversation is deleted, even when iMessaging is turned back on.

Good ol' Apple  :no:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

Good to hear it's not just me.    :)

You're right, simply turning off iMessage is less bother, but that still depends on me remembering to turn it back on again, as it is not without its uses.

There's plenty of online articles, and forums, telling people techniques to send as SMS  - but it all seems to be cobblers, none of these methods worked for me.

I did notice that an earlier version of my message this morning,that I had accidentally allowed to go as an iMessage, seemed to mysteriously convert itself to a text message, but only after quite a long time had elapsed, and all the while it had shown iMessage status as 'delivered'.   I'm guessing iMessage server eventually communicated with the sender (my iPhone) to admit it had failed, and requested my phone to resend it as SMS.  If that's how it works, it would be useless - I might for example have switched off my own phone and boarded a lung haul flight immediately after sending it.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »

On principle, my phone is set to not use mobile data at all, so if someone sends me an iMessage I don't get it until I'm back in range of the house WiFi anyway.

I think you're right about the iMessage server. When I had a Windows phone, I would sometimes get an unreadable 'media message' from someone who had tried to send me a text from their iPhone. I would get the same thing several times over the course of hours, before the server finally gave up. The sender, of course, had no idea - they thought they had just sent a text!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 09:55:01 PM »

Have to admit, I have never really been a text junkie.   I prefer email for asynchronous messaging, otherwise voice calls.   But having learned today about the additional uncertainty added by iMessage, it does explain a few scenarios from the past, where person (a) swears blind that they sent a text message, person (b) emphatically denies that they received it.    :)

Mind you, it also underlines the fact that texts, iMessages, and even emails, are not the things to use when time matters.    I am about 5 minutes drive from the railway station and it’s not uncommon for somebody to text me saying “my train arrives in 5 minutes”.   If the text is delayed within the network, or even if I am just inattentive or asleep, it is followed by a grumpy phone call half an hour later saying “I’ve been waiting 25 minutes, where are you?”.    :D

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »

:lol:

speedyrite

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »

I'm fairly sure that there isn't a setting to send a message as SMS by default. The trick, as you seem to already know, seems to be to firstly send the message as iMessage and then immediately tap & hold the just sent message until a pop-up appears which allows the message to be sent as SMS. But this is just speeding up what iOS will eventually do (automatically and unseen to the user) when it has detected that the message hasn't been delivered via iMessage after a certain waiting time period. So, as far as I know, it's not just (any of) us - it's them...  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »

I did read the “tap and hold” technique, somewhere online.  It did not seem to work when I tried it, maybe I didn’t do it quite right.   Trouble is, even if I do get the hang of it, it is something I do so rarely, chances of me remembering it when needed are nil.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »

While the vast majority of SMS messages do get through it is not and never has been a guaranteed service so you cannot assume SMS will be 100% successful.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »

While the vast majority of SMS messages do get through it is not and never has been a guaranteed service so you cannot assume SMS will be 100% successful.

Stuart

Absolutely, see reply #4  ;)

But since ISTR you are not an Apple convert (yet? ), worth explaining that this is also about Apple’s proprietary alternative, iMessage, which is integrated into the same App and UI as used for SMS.   Not sure if Android has an equivalent?   

iMessage uses internet rather rather than phone network, so delivery depends upon mobile data or WiFi, as well as the basic mobile phone network.    It adds a whole new level of uncertainty regarding delivery times.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »

I think I would be right in saying that Androids biggest equivalent is WhatsApp (although there are others),  which of course is on iOS as well. If I know a person doesn't have data I'll use SMS, but I like that with What's app you can see the message is sent (one grey tick), delivered (two grey ticks) and read is two blue ticks, it works slightly differently for group messages. You can send pictures without the risk/cost and poor user experience of mms.

Of course issues still happen, the recipient might read it on the lock screen or notification bar, so it doesn't show as read, they may even reply to the wrong person, something I've done a number of times. Read message in notification bar, then open app, which is in a different conversation - must remember to use reply.

The best thing with WhatsApp is its cross platform availability. I use a lot now to communicate with customers, in a lot of circumstances it's easier and more convenient for both parties than email.

Actually it's just occurred to me that the Android direct equivalent to iMessage is Google Hangouts which combines instant messaging, video chat, SMS and VOIP features into one App which is the very reason I've never used it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »

Yes we use WhatsApp for communicating with family. By the way SMS on my phone actually seems to tell me when a message has been sent although I've no idea if its been read.

As for being an Apple convert - hell will freeze over first before that happens  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »

Yes its quite clear when an SMS has failed to send, but there is no free option to know it's been delivered, it is possible to get a delivery report but not very reliable and can cost by all accounts.

As for your other comment, same here  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »

Pretty sure, for both iMessage and SMS, the ‘delivered’ status just means delivered to the network, rather than delivered to the actual device.   

A bit like saying that Royal Mail recorded delivery just meant it had reached the first sorting office. :D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »

Hi

I hope I’m not taking this off topic but on all our iPhones, we have iMessages turn off and only use sms

Since we did that many years ago (iOS5 or 6 I think), we have never had any issues on messages

I also tell people to use common sense, if important ring, if mildly important text and if not so important email - never send picture texts and the latter 2, if no response with 2 days, to ring

This works well for us

Many thanks

John
Pages: [1] 2

anything