Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is There an Openreach Engineer in the House?  (Read 9613 times)

rbz5416

Is There an Openreach Engineer in the House?
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »

I'm looking to understand exactly what happens at the exchange to move a FTTC service from one ISP to another.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Is There an Openreach Engineer in the House?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

I'm not an Openreach Engineer, but I think nothing happens at the exchange when switching FTTC ISPs. These days, usually people switch their phone line with their ISP, so the telephone line might be moved to/from BT or LLU equipment depending on the ISPs.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »

I'm looking to understand exactly what happens at the exchange to move a FTTC service from one ISP to another.
Nothing to the data side of things. Both ISP's already have a GEA cable link connected to the feed coming from your fibre cabinet. Everything related is done with virtual paths. Exact same goes for your local cabinet, it isn't even visited during an FTTC switch.

The E-side that carries voice I'm not so sure. Usually its not even the same exchange as where your fibre went.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »

I wouldn't know exact figures, but going from day-to-day experience, I would say the vast majority of customers moving their broadband service from one provider to another, will also move their PSTN (Telephone service) at the same time.

It is very rare I see 'Shared' (SMPF) circuits these days.

With that in mind, there's every chance that PSTN work will be required in the Exchange, but as mooted above .... the actual broadband part of the circuit will not require any intervention at the Exchange.

rbz5416

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »

Thanks so far but I'm none the wiser, so some context.

I booked a switch from Vodafone to BT for Wednesday. The phone line is switched but the broadband isn't. I'm still connected to Vodafone using their logon credentials & have a Vodafone IP address & speeds (38mbps as opposed to BT's 52). I cannot connect to BT either with their hub or my own router.

All I can get out of BT is the the switch is complete so they just want me to go through endless router reboots & answer the same old questions about extension wiring & master sockets. No one at BT is able to comprehend the issue, so I'm trying to establish what might have gone wrong.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »

Thanks so far but I'm none the wiser, so some context.

I booked a switch from Vodafone to BT for Wednesday. The phone line is switched but the broadband isn't. I'm still connected to Vodafone using their logon credentials & have a Vodafone IP address & speeds (38mbps as opposed to BT's 52). I cannot connect to BT either with their hub or my own router.

All I can get out of BT is the the switch is complete so they just want me to go through endless router reboots & answer the same old questions about extension wiring & master sockets. No one at BT is able to comprehend the issue, so I'm trying to establish what might have gone wrong.

Sound like some one at VP hasn't deleted/closed your account, so your still locked to their ISP!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:32:02 PM »

Sound like some one at VP hasn't deleted/closed your account, so your still locked to their ISP!
Not quite how it works. Vodafone are meant to leave it running and the switch should take place automatically. If Vodafone turned his service off he would be left with no internet at all.

Sounds to me like OpenReach hasn't completed the broadband side of the order. It requires no work at the cabinet or exchange. Basically it needs OpenReach to push some buttons.

Call BT and ask them to tell OpenReach the broadband hasn't been migrated yet. OpenReach should be able to notice any mistake fairly quickly.

Perhaps BlackSheep could confirm this but I don't think an engineer has the ability to reassign ports like that. However I'm sure a call to the DCOE would soon resolve the matter.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:07:00 AM »

Perhaps BlackSheep could confirm this but I don't think an engineer has the ability to reassign ports like that. However I'm sure a call to the DCOE would soon resolve the matter.

Correct. Engineers have no control whatsoever over port allocation ..... the DCoE do.  :)

rbz5416

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »

Thanks guys, appreciated.

rbz5416

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »

Well according to the engineer, ISPs rent a number of ports in the cab, necessitating a move of cabling. He said in this instance the cable had been jumpered to BT but hadn't been disconnected from Vodafone.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »

What the engineer said doesn't sound likely to be correct. If it were, you'd have strange situations where you couldn't switch to the ISP of your choice because some other ISPs have got all the ports.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »

Well according to the engineer, ISPs rent a number of ports in the cab, necessitating a move of cabling. He said in this instance the cable had been jumpered to BT but hadn't been disconnected from Vodafone.

Utter and absolute hog-wash.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rbz5416

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »

Utter and absolute hog-wash.  ::)
Possibly, what's you're explanation?

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

Possibly, what's you're explanation?

It's just not how it works, ISPs don't "rent" ports. When an ISP puts an order through for a new connection, it gets put on the next free port available in the cab, therefore his "explanation" of the "jumpering issues" is wildly inaccurate. (To put it nicely!)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

Indeed. If by coincidence 288 Sky customers order every port in the cabinet, then they get connected.

1st come 1st served.

ISP's don't and never have rented ports.
What you had was an idiot engineer who made random stuff up.

Post the same in your thread on ThinkBroadband and the knowledgeable members and OpenReach staff there will tell you the same. It's simply "Utter and absolute hog-wash" as my whiskered friend pointed out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything