Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fritz Box 3490 - Plusnet 80/20 settings  (Read 13756 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Fritz Box 3490 - Plusnet 80/20 settings
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »

ah this isn't about not being happy about speeds.
it just about seeing it anything more can be squeezed from it.

i'm already getting a steady 8.1MB/s download speeds (from usenet), which can't be complained about (compared to 1.8MB/s before upgrade).

i could probably shorten the internal extension wiring and use cat5e/6 instead of CW1308, but that would just be about making everything optimal.

my previous router was a billion 880nl, and only changed because it only had N wifi.
the fritzbox has AC and is quite feature rich.
i prefer combined modem/router rather than having separate boxes, so unless there a good reason to switch to a broadcom chip this will probably do the job.

i know my way around cabling, so if i felt inclined i suppose, technically i could move the master socket, as it's only using CW1308 from the block terminal to where it currently sits. of course that would technically be against openreach policy, but what they don't know etc etc....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:13:33 PM by chenks »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »

Ah, a BT52A (where the "BT" is an abbreviation for "Block Terminal"). They were first introduced with the type 706 telephone in the late 1950s. It would be worthwhile taking a quick look inside, "just in case" but normally they are no problem.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »

In any case, using higher grade cabling will help but the biggest difference will come from shortening the amount of distance the signal has to travel. Then again, unless there was something wrong with the existing cables or terminals then it isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

The 8800NL has a better modem, but even still I do not think that in this case it would necessarily make a significant difference to your speed to use it, or at least not immediately but maybe through prolonged stability and less errors which would allow the DLM to make positive changes to your parameters. If you still have the 8800NL, the only way to find out would be to use it in modem (bridge) mode and then authenticate on PPPoE over the bridge on the 3490. And in that scenario, you could have the 8800NL at the master socket (with the extension disconnected, as it could act like an antenna for interference) and run cable to where you want the 3490 to be.

As I said before in a previous post:
. . . you could plug the router directly into the test socket and observe the stats for a certain period of time (maybe a week or so) to see if that makes any difference . . .
That is probably the best way to see if you can get more speed.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »

there is no power socket anywhere near the master socket.
so connecting anything to it is simply not an option.

as i said though, this is not a situation of being unhappy with speeds, quite the opposite.
it was simply to see if anything more could be squeezed from the line.

being on "amber" for DLM is somewhat concerning though?
i have a very stable line, i have had uptimes that have lasted months (when on ADSL before upgrade).

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

The DLM will attempt to give you the best speeds it thinks your line, while still remaining stable and within thresholds, can receive based on the data it collects.

I would consider having an Amber status on the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system to be OK, or in other words stable but not outstanding enough to warrant any positive changes (or corrective changes if outstandingly bad). As long as your MTBE (which consists of ES and SES) is at or above 30 (since your ISP is on the Speed DLM profile) - so one error in the form of ES or SES every 30 or more seconds on average - then your speed or latency should never be negatively impacted. Since your current error rate is five times lower than that (MTBE of 150 when I averaged your totals), you have a healthy margin and should not see much lower speeds (while crosstalk and other interference factors may reduce the available spectrum available, any further changes should not be from the DLM itself but other external factors unless it impacts the MTBE).

Since the monitoring period for the DLM is from 00:00 to 23:59:59, if you experience a very high burst of errors during this timeframe that exceeds the thresholds then you can anticipate changes the next day that may reduce your sync speed (such as banding) and increase latency (such as interleaving). Although the interleaving tends to not to be applied on lines that have G.INP support from the Cabinet since the latter has a lesser overhead and nil impact on latency.

In order to see improvements on your line, you would need to attain or exceed an MTBE or 300 to have a Green status. Having a Green status just means that the DLM will make changes to remove any banding, interleaving (if it was applied before) and lower the noise margin.

You can read more about the DLM here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything