Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1db SNRM Downstream - Firmware Bug or Real?  (Read 4489 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: 1db SNRM Downstream - Firmware Bug or Real?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

Monitored tones allows for tones that get swapped down to zero bits to brought back into use.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »

. . . after all, you are not a "newcomer" but a regular contributing member.  ;)

I consider myself a lurker as opposed to a regular contributing member. I am only posting here because I asked on this forum and people took the time to look into it and answer it, so I can only do the same. :) Though I am afraid of being incorrect. :(

. . .
I beta tested the TD-W9980 before it was released for sale in the UK.  One of the things I immediately highlighted to them was degradation of SNRM due to bit swap.
. . .

The main difference here is the difference of chipset, although I imagine that you are fully aware that the TD-W9980 has a Lantiq chipset while the TD-W9970 has Broadcom.

Perhaps it’s the implementation (such as configurable variables that TP-Link can make) of the vendor’s firmware (from Lantiq) that mattered in your case as opposed vendor’s firmware itself? Unless they patched the latest firmware from Lantiq that includes a bug fix in TP-Link’s own modem firmware to resolve the issue. It’s just speculation, of course. But either way, I have not looked into the chipset in use by the W9970 and whether it is problematic in other modems that use it.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »

There's some discussion about gradual loss of SNR at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19185.30.html, with some interesting pictures at Reply #42.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 09:10:44 PM »

The main difference here is the difference of chipset, although I imagine that you are fully aware that the TD-W9980 has a Lantiq chipset while the TD-W9970 has Broadcom.

Perhaps it’s the implementation (such as configurable variables that TP-Link can make) of the vendor’s firmware (from Lantiq) that mattered in your case as opposed vendor’s firmware itself? Unless they patched the latest firmware from Lantiq that includes a bug fix in TP-Link’s own modem firmware to resolve the issue. It’s just speculation, of course. But either way, I have not looked into the chipset in use by the W9970 and whether it is problematic in other modems that use it.

Yes, I've done reviews a TD-W9980 and a TD-W9970.  I emboldened the 8 to emphasise the difference.  :)

They supplied me with the Lantiq tool to be able to monitor and gather full stats to log files which I uploaded to them.  Whatever the solution was, it was sorted by TP-Link in China.   It was done very quickly too - like within a few days which considering the time zone differences I think is pretty good.  So it could just have been some sort of configuration setting.

They put some sort of custom TP-Link CLI on all their modems which tends to lock out access to underlying shell.    ejs may know more as he's dabbled quite a lot with TP-Link f/w. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:41:32 AM »

Presumably renzz has "unlocked" the 9970 somehow to make it work with stats monitoring programs, you can do the same thing with the 9980 (the 9980 was done first, being an older model). Quite a lot of stats are available from an unlocked 9980, but of course it's not supported by any of the stats monitoring programs. I thought Lantiq devices got better speeds than Broadcom devices when G.INP was on ECI cabinets.

renzz

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »

Presumably renzz has "unlocked" the 9970 somehow to make it work with stats monitoring programs, you can do the same thing with the 9980 (the 9980 was done first, being an older model). Quite a lot of stats are available from an unlocked 9980, but of course it's not supported by any of the stats monitoring programs. I thought Lantiq devices got better speeds than Broadcom devices when G.INP was on ECI cabinets.

Yes, I unlocked it following a thread on this very forum, specifically http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17108.msg315358.html#msg315358
Pages: 1 [2]