Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP TalkTalk Propose Full Fibre Broadband for 3 Million UK Premises  (Read 2243 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member

Budget ISP TalkTalk has confirmed that they are in “discussions” with Infracapital over a plan to jointly create an independent company, with a total investment of around £1.5bn, that could provide 1Gbps ultrafast “full fibre” (FTTH/P) broadband to over 3 million premises in mid-sized UK towns and cities.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/isp-talktalk-propose-full-fibre-broadband-3-million-uk-premises.html

:)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ISP TalkTalk Propose Full Fibre Broadband for 3 Million UK Premises
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »

What ???!!!!! They're not even considering rural, or semi-rural dwellings. How dare they !!!  ;)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »

What ???!!!!! They're not even considering rural, or semi-rural dwellings. How dare they !!!  ;)

They are being upgraded to a piece of string attached to 2 tin cans on a pod.. this new technology is called P.pod :)

On a more serious note, nobody can say TT aren't bold. They seem to be investing and going in all kinds of directions to survive. I think they see that the money making of the future will be in the network ownership.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »

Very interesting development I was not expecting.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:47 AM »

Then there is the danger that we will see more and more companies digging up the same streets to lay fibre, just as rival cable TV operators did in the 1980s . That did not end well for investors or, you could argue, for customers.

When I caught up with TalkTalk's chief executive, Tristia Harrison, she was keen to emphasise that there would be little overlap with BT, whose full-fibre plan is aimed mainly at big rather than mid-sized cities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42991558

Be interesting to see the list of "mid-sized" towns, I suppose this is an opportunity to lock in whole towns to one fibre provider.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »

Be interesting to see the list of "mid-sized" towns, I suppose this is an opportunity to lock in whole towns to one fibre provider.

Yes, it would be interesting to compare coverage of what TalkTalk are suggesting they may cover vs Openreach who have publically stated they have plans for "40 UK towns, cities and boroughs" with FTTP by 2020... plus whatever Vodafone are doing.

And of course, there is then Virgin..

Still this is good news, but while I am in favour of FTTP and infrastructure competion, especially as my main residence is too far to receive G.Fast (PCP already enabled), and there are long term benefits to switching to 'full fibre' for the operators - I do wonder just how many customers really actually care about what technology is used to deliver the speed/quality of service they want

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »

Wonder if I will see this as my cab has only just (a year) been FTTC enabled.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:01 AM »

We should nationalise all existing fibre ducting and install ducting to all properties not already ducted. Said ducts could then be rented to any operator who wants to use it.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »

talktalk indicating they to wholesale this out.  So it wouldnt be different to what we have now with openreach.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »

That's what I meant - I'd assume Openreach aren't going to lay fibre in smaller towns if an area has been covered by TalkTalk, no duplicate infrastructure.