Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hive Active Smart Heating - at least 33% off.  (Read 14338 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Hive Active Smart Heating - at least 33% off.
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »

Hive Active Heating - at least 33% off depending upon which system you buy.
Works with Amazon Alexa and also with geo location from phone app  (will switch on when it senses you are on the way home)

eg
DIY version £119.99 usually £179.00.  Includes Hive Hub, Receiver & Thermostat.
Installed version £159.99 usually £249.00 Includes Hive Hub, Receiver & Thermostat and installed by British Gas.

Discounts also on their smart bulbs, smart plugs, sensors etc at Amazon Black Friday Event

Hive Active

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Hive Active Smart Home Heating - at least 33% off.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »

Been so wanting Smart Heating to work with my Echo.   

Had been looking at LightwaveRF systems, but as these were on offer and included everything you need in a bundle.. I bit and pulled out my credit card.

Saved £90 by getting the British Gas installed version which means I don't have to worry about getting someone else to fit it... so for me it was an excellent offer.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Hive Active Smart Heating - at least 33% off.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »

Update.

British Gas came this afternoon and installed Hive.   I'm very impressed at how well it integrates with Alexa. 

When the engineer turned up.. he apologised saying "Im sorry but the engineer scheduled to fit your kit is off sick today and he has the Hive that was registered to you on his van, but rather than disappoint I'm going to check your boiler and see if I can get it working with equipment that I carry".

All credit to the engineer..  he checked my boiler and said yes he could proceed.  He spent about 1/2hr to 3/4 hr doing the rewiring on my boiler and fitting a Hive receiver.
He had problems registering the first hub, but he swapped it out with another which would accept my issued details after a phone call to Hive Service centre.   (Devices are supposedly registered to home address for security reasons).

He then spent a good hour going through the app with me (he really didn't need to as I didn't let on I was a bit techie) and bless him, he could see that I do have some physical disabilities and he even borrowed a ladder and installed & set up the Hive lightbulb in my hall landing (these are on offer if you order hive heating).  Installation of any lighting didn't come with the package I ordered but he did so anyhow.   He went through the app in fine detail to make sure I knew what it was capable of and even offered to screw and fit the Hive thermostat backing plate to a wall of my choice (again not something I expected as not really in the contract as I previously didnt have a wall mounted thermostat).  He didn't leave until he was 100% certain that I was happy with installation.

Me being me has had great fun this evening asking Alexa what the temperature of my house is, messing with settings and asking Alexa to dim the hall light etc.   
A+++ to the British Gas engineer.   Just wish I had this on Sunday when I woke up on a really bad pain day and it was cold, yet I was struggling to get out of bed and downstairs to turn on the heating. I did so bumping downstairs on my arse..   but in future I can just say 'Alexa turn on my heating'.

Final wish is that Hive did an SES bulb for the porch lighting (see previous posts) and then I really would be a happy bunny.
As it stands the package I bought during the Black Friday event was well worth it and the savings over any other system was quite substantial.   I saved £90 (not counting the discounted hall landing bulb) and for me it certainly was worth it getting British Gas to do all the installing.     
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »

That’s lovely news. I have a Nest thermostat here and I’ve just managed to set it up on Alexa. Took me a couple of hours  ::)

How about a SES to BC adapter? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/231702542614
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:17:34 PM by Dray »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »

How about a SES to BC adapter? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/231702542614

Wow thank you.   I didn't know they did those.   I'd searched the other week and only came up with the normal screw to bayonet adaptors.

Damn..  wish I'd known earlier as I would have been entitled to the half price bulb discounts when ordering the Hive heating.   

This is the bulb currently in the the entrance hall.   I believe they are classed as candle SES.

Hmm just thought... dont think the glass cover would go over a full size bulb despite the reflector being fully size bulb shape. If you look at the screw to the left thats where the cover attaches.   I can't get up there tonight to check again, but may try have another look tomorrow if I'm more mobile.   I'd previously thought a wall switch such as LightwaveRF was my only option. 
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »

Me being me  I'd quite like something like this however Mrs Broadstairs hates central heating and technology in general. Its as much as I can do to get her to agree to have the heating on via the timer in the morning for 3 hours, then it goes off all day. If the house gets cold she either puts another jumper on or maybe turns on a fire where she is sitting. I think what she hates about central heating is that it's not instant (either on or off) so in her view it is too slow to react wheras the gas fires are more or less instant. When we do have the CH on the thermostat is set to 19°C.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

Hmm just thought... dont think the glass cover would go over a full size bulb despite the reflector being fully size bulb shape. If you look at the screw to the left thats where the cover attaches.   I can't get up there tonight to check again, but may try have another look tomorrow if I'm more mobile.

That lamp would be very easy to replace (if you can find a suitable volunteer) with a standard bulb holder, unfortunately most lamps of that style are either LED, tube or ES or SES (Small Edison Screw) type bulbs.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-batten-lamp-holder-white/93835
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-6-pendant-set-white/22210

Depends on the height of the ceiling though of course.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D