Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firebrick FB2900  (Read 6793 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Firebrick FB2900
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:25:39 AM »

I wonder if Weaver is one of the "select customers" of A&A?

The soul of a new machine.

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Firebrick FB2900
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »

Apologies for bringing up an old topic perhaps, but I'm waiting to get my hands on one of these. Reason being line bonding, sadly the EdgeRouter Pro 8 is doing some weird stuff with single threaded downloading. I can max out the downstream on both connections if I do a multithreaded download or speed test, but a single threaded download barely holds at 6 megabits out of a current potential of 100-120 megabits.

Here's an example, though I know my connections can do better (just did it quickly after trying teql on the EdgeRouter Pro 8).

Upstream wasn't bonded, just downstream.

I'm not going to bother with the FB2700 for at least two reasons, most importantly because it will soon be a discontinued product in the next week or two (so I'm told).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »

I will be interested to read of your experiences, once you take possession of a FB2900.

(I say that as an owner of a second generation Firebrick, a FB105, which is occasionally used for one of its features.)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »

I will be interested to read of your experiences, once you take possession of a FB2900.

(I say that as an owner of a second generation Firebrick, a FB105, which is occasionally used for one of its features.)

Sadly I was unsuccessful in asking if I could order a 'pre-release' version, sales eventually got back to me stating that it's not ready for release and will be released 'within the next few weeks'. However on good news I've at least resolved the slow single threaded downstream speed I was suffering with while the two lines were bonded. The problem was caused by the fact one line was on the old TTB network and the other line was on the new TTB network, once both lines were on the new TTB network I'm now getting full single threaded downstream speed.

The only other anomaly I'm facing is why my first line appears to be banded by DLM at 40 megabits since after the engineer activated the second line. It definitely has spare SNRM. But as I've said to AAISP, I'm not worried about that problem until I'm able to get the FB2900 or alternatively if I manage to figure out how to get upstream bonding to work on the EdgeRouter Pro 8 too (it currently only uses one line for upstream).

As you can see, it takes a brief moment for the downstream bonding to kick in for a single threaded download. It's nice, more so if I can get the first line's downstream banding by DLM put back to up to 80 megabits (should ideally achieve around 60 or so if it wasn't banded). Once I get the FB2900 I'll post results here, hopefully by then the 40 megabits banding will be gone too.

Nice ping too.

Code: [Select]
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=61 time=5.72 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=61 time=5.07 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=3 ttl=61 time=5.23 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=4 ttl=61 time=5.45 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=5 ttl=61 time=5.82 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.078/5.464/5.825/0.290 ms

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »

Ah, I see.  :(  However without asking you would have never known if you could have had a pre-release FB2900 version to test.  :)

Thank you for the latest update. I am surprised that the EdgeRouter Pro 8 is proving difficult to configure so that the two US streams are bonded. Have Ubiquiti offered any suggestions?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »

Ah, I see.  :(  However without asking you would have never known if you could have had a pre-release FB2900 version to test.  :)

Thank you for the latest update. I am surprised that the EdgeRouter Pro 8 is proving difficult to configure so that the two US streams are bonded. Have Ubiquiti offered any suggestions?

I've tried their forum and someone called AndyWrightUK suggested the teql method, which is almost identical to what's on AAISP's wiki ( https://support.aa.net.uk/Linux_upload_bonding_using_teql ). This at least allows the internet connection to work when two lines are connected and downstream bonding works fine. From that article and from what I understand about teql I would've thought it should do upstream too now. I've not tried contacting Ubiquiti directly to see if they can offer any insight or support on this matter, but I think I'll try that tomorrow. Worst case is they say they can't help me with the subject or that I need to pay them to investigate a solution perhaps.

There is another option on AAISP's website, that's policy based routing. It's more complicated than doing it via teql however. I also tried Microtik's RouterOS on a virtual machine (CHR), however I only managed to get that working once last night and since then it's dead when I last tested it. The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro 8 is easier for me, perhaps because I'm used to it now. If I can get upstream bonding working then I won't need to buy the FB2900, there would be literally no point.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 12:05:44 AM »

Woohoo, I fixed it! Turns out teql wasn't actually, well, running?

modprobe sch_teql

The script now does that first. I discovered this when I tried entering the individual commands manually.

A single threaded upload test sort of appears to max out a line, but I presume that's normal. I'll probably ask on the AAISP IRC tomorrow just to see what others who have bonding usually experience. The downside to using teql is that it appears to break the EdgeRouter's ability to access the internet itself, therefore LAN IP's are now having to be routed through my Amplifi HD which I'm fine with (previously it was in bridge mode, not acting as a router).

Checking the EdgeRouter Pro 8 dashboard, on a single threaded upload speed test it appears to use one line then swap to the other. Probably just the way teql works and most probably a Firebrick is better at this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:10:12 AM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »

modprobe sch_teql

A necessary prerequisite!  :D

So I strongly suspect that you will not be purchasing a FB2900.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 12:32:11 AM »

A necessary prerequisite!  :D

So I strongly suspect that you will not be purchasing a FB2900.

Haha yes. However I still believe I'll be purchasing the FB2900. I have a hunch that it'll handle the upload bonding differently and better than just plain simple teql. It's also likely that LAN IP's can still be used at the same time on the Firebrick unlike my current setup. I also can't apply QoS without the teql setup breaking, so what I can do on the EdgeRouter is somewhat limited now that I have a form of bonding working. However as a temporary solution until the FB2900 is available, I'm fine with it.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Just in on Firebrick-announce:

The FB2900 is now available from dealers.

Base model   £500+VAT
Fully loaded   £550+VAT
Rack mount kit   £35+VAT

The DC (12/24V and 48V) models will be available soon.

http://www.firebrick.co.uk/products_2900.php
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:09:25 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

Just in on Firebrick-announce:

http://www.firebrick.co.uk/products_2900.php

Thank you for the link.  :)

I see that both the FB2500 and the FB2700 are no longer supplied, so I expect them to be moved into the Legacy Products section of the web-site in due course.

Being curious, I decided to download a copy of the FB2900 manual. However both the links are currently broken . . .  ::)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »

I'll order one tomorrow if I can. Sales haven't alerted me that it's available to buy however, so maybe I can't get it from AAISP yet. I'll check out their website. At least it's a fair bit cheaper than the FB2700, which was 750+VAT if I recall (fully loaded), making it 900 in total. Where this one will be 660 (including VAT) for fully loaded I believe. I can reclaim VAT later on hehe.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »

Both of the links to the manuals are now operational.  :)

FB2900 manual (PDF)
FB2900 manual (HTML)

Edited to add a link to the Quick Start Guide
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:19:21 PM by burakkucat »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »

Both of the links to the manuals are now operational.  :)

FB2900 manual (PDF)
FB2900 manual (HTML)

Edited to add a link to the Quick Start Guide

Fancy, I can't wait to receive this impressive bit of kit :P. Hopefully I'll get mine on the 12th as I've ordered mine now, assuming plenty are in stock and actually now ready to send. It threw me for a moment as I was trying to find where to pay, but it turns out it'll take it via direct debit on seven day credit terms.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »

Have you also ordered the rack-mount kit?  :-\

Once it has been installed I would appreciate an updated picture of your rack, please.

Pages: [1] 2