Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Medium Wave radio vs. xDSL  (Read 2406 times)

GaryW

Medium Wave radio vs. xDSL
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »

Many of us spend a lot of time and effort improving our DSL performance, but some of the things that impact performance are outside of our control.  One of those is medium wave radio, especially for those of us with overhead lines.  Call me obsessive, but I went through all of the dips in the SNR for my line and mapped them to MW radio stations...and it's sobering to see how many more bits could be loaded if there was no MW - a classic case of 21st(ish) century technology being held back by early 20th century technology.

I found it especially interesting to see the effect of the BBC's recent MW switch off for local radio - being in Kent, of particular interest was the local Radio Kent transmitter on 1602kHz (aka tone 702  :) ).  If you check my stats on MDWS (GaryW) you can see the effect when the transmitter was finally switched off (as opposed to transmitting instructions on how to retune) in the middle of yesterday (1st Feb).

Anyone fancy starting a campaign to kill off Radio 5 Live, TalkSport, Virgin AM, Premier, Sunrise, Capital Gold...?  Not to mention NAVETX...
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Medium Wave radio vs. xDSL
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »

If MW broadcasts were to completely stop, it would free up that part of the spectrum for some other use.   I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess what it might end up being used for, but I feel sure it would find a 21st century purpose - perhaps unrelated to public broadcast.   Depending on station density and transmit powers of <whatever> new service uses the frequencies, who knows, it may become even more detrimental to DSL?

Be careful what you wish for. :)

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »

Perhaps what we really should ask for, to get rid of interference problems, is replacement of the overhead and internal wiring with TIGHTLY TWISTED CABLE PAIRS.....

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:27:38 AM »

Won't matter for most of the UK over the next decade, as FTTP makes it presence known.  :)

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »

Years ago someone reported a disease amongst Hi Fi enthusiasts called " Listening to the equipment " i.e. forgetting the original objective and concentration on system defects.
It appears this has spread to internet users ?!!!

GaryW

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »

Years ago someone reported a disease amongst Hi Fi enthusiasts called " Listening to the equipment " i.e. forgetting the original objective and concentration on system defects.
It appears this has spread to internet users ?!!!

I am concentrating on the objective - which is to download data (e.g. stream video).  When you get 15M download, every little defect fixed gets you closer to the objective (e.g. be able to stream UHD video)....  Now, if you're referring to those people obsessing about only getting 75M download rather than the full 80M, fair enough!

Using your hi-fi anology, if the stylus keeps jumping you have an issue.  If you think you can hear the difference between £50 speaker cables and £10,000 speaker cables, you're obsessing...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:59:30 PM by GaryW »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »

OTOH If you can't, there's a chance you need visit an audiologist. ;D

GaryW

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

OTOH If you can't, there's a chance you need visit an audiologist. ;D

And clean cars always feel faster than dirty ones  :)

anything