Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Static IP config in iOS 10  (Read 29734 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Static IP config in iOS 10
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »

A long time has passed. This iPad is on ios11 now, and I can't reproduce the bug. Not that that means much. So it may or may not have been fixed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »

I ‘reproduced’ the bug, possibly. Possibly it never was quite what I thought it was.

I got hit by it again - couldn't save the contents of the form to set an ipv4 static ip and the save option was grayed out. Why ? Bug !

Well.

I realised that the netmask box has a fake ‘value’ showing in it which is actually possibly non-existent. There is some text 255.255.0.0 showing which, might be in lighter gray, I can't be sure about the color. But it seems that actually the field is ‘invalid’ in reality unless the user types some text into it. The text 255.255.0.0 is actually not a useful initial value! (It's just useless decoration to remind the user.)

This is silly. It should be empty initially and if so then needs to be clearly visibly so. What is really silly is that this is all the more confusing because in my case 255.250.0.0 happened to be a plausible default value as it is the correct size for 192.168.0.x which is what I happened to have entered.

So problem solved. Whether or not that was the story in the old case, I do not know. Perhaps I always got misled by this shockingly weak UI design.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:15:56 AM by Weaver »

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »

misled by this shockingly weak UI design
I agree with you, and it's not unique to Apple.

Sometimes field entry boxes have "solid" default values which need to be deleted first; sometimes they have "greyed" apparent values which disappear as soon as you select the field; sometimes they have "greyed" apparent values which remain when you select the field, but disappear as soon as you start typing. Even the degree of "greyness" varies.

It would be so much easier if everyone spoke the same language  :-X

Pages: 1 2 [3]