Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: stmt modem tool  (Read 9854 times)

deezel

• Just arrived
stmt modem tool
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »

hi

i recently got a speedtouch 585v6 router so I could use the dmt tool.

Unfortunately the firmware 6.2 precludes the use of the dmt tool for snr tweaking

Ive tried downgrading the firmware without success.

I found another tool called stmt but its all in german so I cannot work out how to use it

you can find it herehttp://www.modemtool.de/download.html version 0.10

has anybody used this successfuly, if so how do you alter your snr?

thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: stmt modem tool
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »

Hi and welcome.

I'm not familiar with that particular program, but I doubt if it will work with the 6.2 firmware, for the same reason that DMT doesn't work with it. These programs are just friendly GUI front ends for the command-line interfaces which the various routers have, and the reason DMT doesn't support noise margin tweaking with the latest Speedtouch firmware is that the capability has been removed from the command-line interface.

As far as I know, there is no way to tweak your noise margin with the 6.2 firmware. However it should be possible to downgrade to the 6.1.4.3 firmware, and I'm sure I've seen references to people doing this successfully.
  Eric

deezel

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »

yes ive heard that it is possible to downgrade the firmware but as said I was unable to do it.

the upgrade wizard which apparently is used also to downgrade doesn't work for me

I'd be grateful if anyone can run me through downgrading the firmware or can advise on the stmt tool

thanx

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:03:09 AM »

>> I found another tool called stmt but its all in german so I cannot work out how to use it

STMT is similar to DMTtool, but requires slightly less configuration as it has been specifically written for ST routers... and will work with firmware 6.2x

When you install it, many of the instructions are also in English.  However it does not appear to have the ability to force a resync with custom target SNR -  even on a router that has the ability to do so with DMT tool.

As eric said, ST withdrew the ability to tweak the SNR from firmware 6.2 from the CLI...  which means that no interface program such as dmt or stmt is going to be able to access the basic underlying commands if its not available to access within the router in the first place. :(

Re downgrade info
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1982.msg%25msg_id%25
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

rwm32

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »

STMT is similar to DMTtool, but requires slightly less configuration as it has been specifically written for ST routers... and will work with firmware 6.2x

When you install it, many of the instructions are also in English.  However it does not appear to have the ability to force a resync with custom target SNR -  even on a router that has the ability to do so with DMT tool.

That's right, kitz. Paraphrasing the STMT website, it simply provides a way of looking at info from the router in a consciously DMT-like manner.  It doesn't set out to do anything else; the general idea is: if your ST router will run DMT, use DMT; if not, maybe STMT will give you at least some of the helpful info that DMT did -- specifically, graphing the bitloading (so you too can discover that Radio5Live wipes out half of your top-end spectrum, and that the local radio station 6 miles up the road wipes out the other half....).

Because it uses the 'bitloadinginfo' command rather than 'getdata' it does not suffer from the 300s delay that clobbers DMT on 6.1.4.6 and 6.1.4.9 firmwares, so if you haven't got anything better to do, you can watch your modem bit-swapping in something more like real time.

The 'modemoptions' boxes are a work in progress; even when complete, they will simply show the status -- as I think we've now all proven many times over on these forums and elsewhere, there really is no way of changing the modemoptions values on 6.2.n.n and higher firmwares, however sneaky you try to be in loading configs / with or without 'root' privileges / etc.

STMT also works on 7.x.x.x firmware / TG585v7.

Hope this helps clarify.

rwm32

PS. What sort of a time is that to be posting??!!!!

deezel

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »

yes, thanx for the responses

after many attempts using the wizard the downgrade of firmware succeeded.

talking about modem tools I found another one ( german of course) on a us site called orbmt, couldn't work that one out either  :D

its herehttp://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18736238-OrbMT-Modem-Tool

has anyone used this?

....and thanx for the welcome roseway:)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:50:09 AM by deezel »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

@ deezel -  Sorry I havent heard of the OrbMT tool before now :/

@ rwm
Thanks very much for that info rwm. :)

>> PS. What sort of a time is that to be posting??!!!!

answer :/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:17:28 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

rwm32

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »

>> PS. What sort of a time is that to be posting??!!!!

answer :/

:(

anything