Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Stats?  (Read 3028 times)

emontes

• Just arrived
FTTC Stats?
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »

Greetings,

I've been on the forum for some time and always got a huge amount of information from the topics. Lately, I've been thinking of getting a 2nd line at home but still haven't pulled the plug just yet.
My question is just to check if there's a way to get a better sync speed on my line. I had almost 80k download until the 7th February when I moved from Sky to Zen, i had G.INP inactive in the beginning and it was activated after a few days. I am an avid gamer so even thought I'd like to get a bit more speed, I would still prefer a bit slower sync speed but a better latency.
Is there anything you guys can suggest looking into MDWS? My username is xhemp.

Many thanks!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FTTC Stats?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »

When you were with Sky your SNRM was 3dB.   The move to Zen has reset DLM and why you've had to wait a few days for G.INP to be re-activated.
Hopefully DLM should soon start reducing the SNRM again to give you back your previous speed.

As to latency, the line doesnt have any delay from DLM, so latency will be down to your location and (isp) routing.

As an aside I notice you are getting a few Err Secs on the upstream.   Its not major and not sufficient to bother DLM, but based on your speed and the fact it's on the upstream, then it won't harm to give your internal wiring a quick check.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

emontes

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »

When you were with Sky your SNRM was 3dB.   The move to Zen has reset DLM and why you've had to wait a few days for G.INP to be re-activated.
Hopefully DLM should soon start reducing the SNRM again to give you back your previous speed.

As to latency, the line doesnt have any delay from DLM, so latency will be down to your location and (isp) routing.

As an aside I notice you are getting a few Err Secs on the upstream.   Its not major and not sufficient to bother DLM, but based on your speed and the fact it's on the upstream, then it won't harm to give your internal wiring a quick check.

Nice, thanks for that, kitz.
With regards to the Err Secs, I may change my filter and cable (does it make any difference?). It's a brand new house but I will at least remove the plates and check if there's nothing out of place there.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »

Changing cables and filters generally will make very little difference unless poor quality components were used in the microfilter, or if the cable/contact points have been subject to water that leads to corrosion (of if the microfilter and/or cable has been physically damaged, but that should be obvious ;)). The errors seem consistent on the upstream and will not cause issues with the DLM so I would not say it is necessary to make any changes.

It looks like G.INP has been re-enabled on your line, and as you are well within the thresholds for improvements on the Standard DLM profile (with Zen) we should start to see the SNRM parameters being adjusted soon.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »

It's a brand new house but I will at least remove the plates and check if there's nothing out of place there.

That is a very good idea. If in doubt, photograph each one and make the images available for our viewing.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

emontes

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:41 AM »

That is a very good idea. If in doubt, photograph each one and make the images available for our viewing.

Will do! I have just changed the cable and filter, it didn't make any difference, will remove the plates and take some pictures this weekend. Thanks!

emontes

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »

Will do! I have just changed the cable and filter, it didn't make any difference, will remove the plates and take some pictures this weekend. Thanks!

So I did remove the plates and re-wired the connection (looks like one of the wires was a bit loose there).
Checking the number of E/S, it looks like went down significantly from what I had until Friday so I believe it worked.
Thanks burakkucat and kitz for the help!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »

I'm pleased to know that you found the cause and managed to fix it.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »

If latency is an issue for you then I have noticed lately that there is a bit of lottery with the PPP sessions with Zen.

Sometimes if I reconnect I will end up with 26ms, simply forcing PPP to reconnect again I will get back to 16ms.  Its pretty rare for my connection to drop on its own so generally once that is done I don't have to think about it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

emontes

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »

If latency is an issue for you then I have noticed lately that there is a bit of lottery with the PPP sessions with Zen.

Sometimes if I reconnect I will end up with 26ms, simply forcing PPP to reconnect again I will get back to 16ms.  Its pretty rare for my connection to drop on its own so generally once that is done I don't have to think about it.
Thanks, Alex, I will definitely give it a go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

anything