Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Migrating to Vodafone  (Read 10139 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Migrating to Vodafone
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »

OK, call to 17070 yields:
This circuit is defined as 01**** ******. Welcome to your OpenReach line test facilities...

So the line is not LLU, and VF is using a BTw line.

@NewtronStar Thanks for that info. I'll probably try it again from time to time, but won't lose any sleep if it doesn't work. Knowing my IPprofile won't help anyway, as I'm already syncing at 40/10.

Interestingly, the download speed reported by 'Ookla' at 20:48 this evening had dropped by 10Mbps to 25.8Mbps, but at 22:02 had regained 6Mbps. Sync has been constant at 39970bps throughout that time, so it seems there has been something of a congestion/contention issue at VF.

It doesn't really bother me, though. Even at its slowest it was almost 5 times faster than the best I could get from ADSL!  :cool:

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »

Does not matter....you need to know your headend exchange.
[snip]
... my punt would be Carmarthen.

I think you are probably right.

*Thinks*...Now what is a headend exchange? ....[runs off to ask *oogle...]

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »

If like me you you have a small local exchange only giving ADSL and Telephone the headend will be much larger exchange 3 miles away offering FTTC ADSL ADSL2+ and with LLU equipment for ISP's so your FTTC will be coming from headend exchange to your FTTC cabinet and you local exchange will only be doing the telephone stuff.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »

Or, as mooted ..... the term the planners/engineers use is, 'Parent & child' Exchanges. Just for your 'GOOGLING' pleasure.  :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »

@j0hn

Thank's for the clarification, the difference between Btw and OR has always been a bit of a grey area, for me anyway.

I thought that LLU exchange presence was applicable to ADSL & telephone service only and FTTC was always through the BT/OR network, obviously still a lot to learn on the subject.
LLU means Local Loop Unbundling. The Local Loop being the copper between the exchange and your property. Other providers have a presence/equipment in the exchange, and they can serve lines on the exchange (or local loop).

FTTC is different in that they all use OpenReachs DSLAMs.
True LLU FTTC would see Talktalk/Sky etc setting up their own FTTC cabinets next to the PCP.
Between the number of cabinets needed, crosstalk issues, no vectoring between multiple DSLAMs, etc, this just isn't possible.

Instead traffic is sent to the exchange and at that point LLU operators can buy a GEA cable link and connect up the local FTTC to their own equipment. Not LLU in the true sense imo, but a working compromise.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »

@j0hn

Many thanks for the further clarification, always keen to learn from the more experienced forum members.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

jasjeet

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »

Im thinking of going from Sky FTTC to Vodafone.
I want to use a HG612, it seems like Voda now give the user/pass out.

What kind of differences, if any, may i see switching? Could i run into higher latencies and congestion? Or is it the same network that Sky use anyway?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

Hi jasjeet,

I've been on Vodafone for almost 18 months, so here's some thoughts:

Firstly, and you're probably aware of this, your sync speed (the speeds your physical connection runs at) will be the same (or broadly similar).  I use the same HG612 with Vodafone that I used to use with BT Infinity -- same sync speed.

I've not noticed any congestion at all in my area (Kent).  Latency is also a non-issue -- I've always had a steady ~11ms ping to bbc.co.uk on Vodafone and BT Infinity.

It it not the same network as Sky (or BT for that matter).  Vodafone bought the old Cable & Wireless infrastructure a while back.  Seems to perform fine -- only had one evening in 18 months of absurdly slow throughput, but it was rectified within a few hours.

Of course, this may differ depending on where in the country you are and how VF's network is arranged!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything