Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Letting BT know you care!  (Read 5350 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Letting BT know you care!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »

It would be interesting using modern social media and good old leafleting houses to see how much support could be got to push for FTTP.

I remember a year ago I said on this forum that I am surprised at the lack of 'Groups' on facebook of people gathering together and trying to get better broadband. It is the perfect tool for the job. The only groups I see are people moaning about BT and (insert other ISP name here), Virgin Media, or the already established communities of local fibre products.

Another route people could go down is to contact their local councillor, or anyone else on the local council to try and get it put on the council agenda meetings.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »

Do I even have a PCP - I can't imagine where they would park one? There is no wall tree or house between me and Harrapul on the main road. Perhaps there is one in Broadford? (for some reason?)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »

@Weaver, looks like you are an exchange line, so no cabinet.

@Bowdon The vast majority of end users don't have a clue, just had a discussion here with someone who changed ISP because their speeds were low, in reality it's probably down to ally in their line as they are only 650 meters from a Huawei cabinet and the estimate for A range was 30 at best. Another person I know of changed isp because the wifi wasn't very good.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 04:59:10 PM »

I was actually being slightly sarcastic about the expectation of everyone else paying for your FTTP. Last time I checked, there were millions still on ADSL despite having better speeds available to them via FTTC, perhaps because ADSL is adequate for them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »

Thanks for that. Nice thought.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

Last time I checked, there were millions still on ADSL despite having better speeds available to them via FTTC, perhaps because ADSL is adequate for them.

The father in law in my instance, but then complains why iPlayer sometimes stutters......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »

Weaver, we frequently holiday on Grimsay, between North and South Uist, and you always come to mind as we pass the turn off to Heasta on our way to Uig. Over there, the "standard" solution for broadband is satellite, why is this not suitable for you?
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

Another route people could go down is to contact their local Councillor, or anyone else on the local council to try and get it put on the council agenda meetings.

Did actually do that and the Council were less bothered than BT about Ultrafast. The only Cabs in town to be FTTP are the ......! You guessed it the Council ones! VM where more informative as the are currently digging up the northern area of town and working their way round eastwards. But BTOR couldn't give a fig now every one has FTTC and they've had the money from Welsh government. As some people are finding out as contract was to time and not completion of work!
But hey hoe we could always gather up our pitch forks and stampead the Mottle!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 11:49:05 PM »

The Highlands and Islands (H&I) Broadband Project covers the entire Highlands and Islands region and is being led and managed by Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE). The project will be delivered in phases - the first phase aims to deliver next generation broadband to around 50 towns and communities geographically spread across the H&I region by 2015. Also by 2015 the project aims to provide everyone in the region with at least 2Mbps. The overall ambition of the project is for 100% coverage of next generation broadband by 2020. On 8 June 2011, the project entered its procurement phase which is expected to last 12 months. Delivery of connectivity improvements to the H&I region is expected to begin January 2013 onwards. HIE has so far secured an initial £20m to deliver the project through BDUK, HIE and EU funding.

It is rather vague how they will achieve this.  Other (UK) studies I have read said they will look at other technologies to provide access for the hardest to reach areas.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2012/01/1487/4

This about sums it up
promote rural and community benefits, by supporting local projects and through contractual arrangements including education and improved technology.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »

I think the idea of supporting new local projects in Scotland is now dead - Highlands and Islands Enterprise announced the end of their Community Broadband Scotland initiative recently, which effectively killed North Skye Broadband's plans as well.

All hopes now seem to be on the Scottish Government's R100 plans

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »

@atkinsong would be delighted if you would drop in and see me in Heasta - the very first house you see as you come down the hill towards the sea in the distance after three miles of very high moor. And of course the same is true for any Kitizens who can find an excuse to divert to this island.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »

Thought I'd get a quote on FTTPoD, just to see how affordable it is for me.

It really isn't.

Estimated Build Cost: £9,700.00 ex VAT   
Number of premises passed for FTTP: 10
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »

Sotonsam, Mine was a similar price for a length of around 600 meters underground.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 12:08:13 AM »

Thats a joke. £1200 per household even with a decent number served.

Why do they even offer it to residential customers? Its a farce.
Pages: 1 [2]