Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Letting BT know you care!  (Read 5370 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
Letting BT know you care!
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/expression-business-fttp
This is the BT Business FTTP request page, it may be useful to some people!
Regards.
David

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Letting BT know you care!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

Ah yes. This is using the new FoD packages. They call it Infinity Build to Order.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

Ah yes. This is using the new FoD packages. They call it Infinity Build to Order.

Will this be coming in on the new Feb pricing?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »

Have filled in form. Thanks for posting the link. Won't be holding my breath.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:36:21 PM »

Will this be coming in on the new Feb pricing?
It's likely yes.
It's heard BT were going to start a new FTTPod product, Infinity build to order. Looks like this might be it. If it is then it will definitely be using the new pricing. Cough up thousands and give your neighbours free native WBC-FTTP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:37:32 PM »

Have filled in form. Thanks for posting the link. Won't be holding my breath.

Could you not get you local neighbourhood involved too, Weaver ..... the more interest, the more of a chance ...... ??

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »

Don't have a helpful local neighbourhood. People are too hard up or stingy or completely uninterested. The majority have FTTC in the village of broadford and are laughing, if they could even be bothered enough to pay the extra tenner, or have even heard about FTTC. We don't have a suitable mode to run FTTP from that is already close. And don't have the population size either.

I'm not the one to evangelise either, as no one knows me, haven't been out of the house in 8 years of course, so hardly mr popular, plus I’m a foreigner, and even worse a Gàidhlig-speaking one (after a fashion, as best my abilities, tertiary education and immersion will allow).

It is a tame politician that we unimportant few need, someone who decides that it isn't just all about profits, that fairness matters, and saying that the last x% can go to hell is simply not actually on, but hey it's job done because they can quote ‘some percentage done’ those people being those who were always the least in need anyway because they had speeds that were 3 to 20 times faster before. The USO is going to be just ridiculous with some impossible ‘delivery’ of 10Mbps downstream (and erm what's upstream), which is impossible anyway, whilst by then the haves will be heading for 300Mbps as if 80 times the rest of us were not a big enough gap already.

We are so few that it's not even like it's going to bankrupt the country sorting out the grossest inequalities. Should people really be on less than 1 Mbps d/s nowadays, yet getting charged the same as others on 20Mbps ADSL2+? At 2.7-2.9 Mbps sync rate I am the best in my tiny village, and way more than double most people. My hope is that pervasive fibre (not the fake BT kind made out of copper) will bring all of this crap to an end because presumably whenever future upgrades are needed you just upgrade the optical hardware at the ends and add core bandwidth if need be, at least that's the impression of history is accurate that I get from my almost nonexistent knowledge of fibre optic hardware. The speed gap showing on the Skye part of the thinkbroadband (TBB) map is >40-to-1 in downstream. However the map is possibly amazingly unrepresentative as it may be that it is only a certain type of person who will record their speed tests on their, some geeks who are checking out their connection speed, plus some frustrated users, but the clueless won’t know about the site and will probably have some horrible bandwidth figures in their number because they don't know how to improve things or couldn't care less. I find it very hard to believe anyway that the true figures are better than the picture the TBB map paints.

Part of the money that has been spent on FTTC around here is presumably wasted, but not all, but the big problem is that it lets the politicians off the hook by creating a distraction, another 5-10 years worth of delay and a double spend in part of the job for absolutely everyone who actually is bothered about decent internet performance.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:43:48 AM by Weaver »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »

Could you not get you local neighbourhood involved too, Weaver ..... the more interest, the more of a chance ...... ??

No chance in my area. Because there is larger customers using virgin media cable broadband around here. LOL

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

We are so few that it's not even like it's going to bankrupt the country sorting out the grossest inequalities.

It was estimated that building a "superfast" USO (lowest cost using a mix of FTTC plus other tech) would cost £2.4 billion, FTTP only £9.6 billion, assuming I'm reading that table properly in the Analysys Mason report on estimating the cost of a USO.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »

I thought about this for my flats, but the majority are rented, so I think it will be a bit of a non starter.
Shame.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »

@ejs I was wondering how much it would cost to ensure that no one had less than both 0.5Mbps upstream and guaranteed minimum of 1, 2, 5 or 8 Mbps downstream. Satellite banned from consideration and so too all shared-medium systems such as shared long-range wireless where they quote a useless figure of say 5 - 20Mbps but that is a maximum and is shared between say 30 households so it is wildly unpredictable and may easily be far slower than ADSL.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:59:25 AM by Weaver »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »

The obvious solution to any specific local lack of FTTP is to set up a crowdfunding campaign and see how many random strangers will give you money to get you some FTTP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »

Ejs - I suspect I am very out of date. I have vaguely heard of the term, but didn't know such things were accessible to normal people who don't wear suits. Your tip is very much appreciated.

You say the obvious solution, I think a lot of things ought to be obvious to me but aren't. Haven't been out of the house for over a year after all apart from possibly when ambulance took me in to hospital but can't remember when that was.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »

ejs - would it be even possible to order FTTP though, given ridiculously deep pockets? Would BT simply tell you you must be joking and to get lost? I can imagine the sometimes deeply unhelpful Andrews and Arnold sales department simply rolling their eyes at that one.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »

A&A would get a fibre service to you if you had VERY deep pockets.

OpenReach will only do so if FTTPod shows up on the BT Wholesale Broadband Checker. This requires your PCP to be FTTC enabled.
Alternatively OpenReach can help with community funded schemes. Being so sparsely populated I don't see any self/community funded schemes being viable.

The Scottish government are promising 100% coverage by 2020? unlike the UK government. I'm interested to see how they try cover your property.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2