Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wiring cover plate in garage - about to convert garage - advice please  (Read 13816 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Wiring cover plate in garage - about to convert garage - advice please
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »

Maybe we got some builders on loan when they did our place... lol
Why put two cables in when one will do?  And while you're at it, just stick a big hole between the two garages.  Who knows what other horrors I've yet to uncover...!

Probably the very definition of Normal for Norfolk...

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »

For anyone interested, this is what has replaced the old terminal block...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »

Ah, a BT66. That will do nicely.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »

I can't see from the pics, is that a very, very slim junction box then?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 04:46:02 AM »

Off-topic, slightly perhaps. If someone wanted to re-route a line, what about simply ordering an additional line and then doing a cease on the first one? Let's imagine that they want a lot of money out of you to move the line. If that doesn't work because they will just give you a second pair within the same drop cable / bundle (what is the correct term I’m groping for here?) then you simply order two additional lines at the same time so as to make the total up to three.

Would that be cheap per line?

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

Ah, a BT66. That will do nicely.  :)
Would have been much better off with a Dexseal 2/4 enclosure IMO.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »

This is a situation I come across daily in my area as we have a lot of estates where the underground feed goes directly into the property as opposed to an external wall. In this situation you would be given the choice of either making the feed accessible, or (for a fee) we would dig where the cable meets the house and re-route it into an external box.
How does that work with BTO's claim that anything prior to the NTE is their property & subsequently their property?!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »

Would have been much better off with a Dexseal 2/4 enclosure IMO.

Not for the engineer it wouldn't ............ he would have found himself on the end of a '10-point failure' for fitting an incorrect closure to an underground cable.

Discipline offence for quality of personal workmanship. Taken very seriously if he had been audited on the job.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »

Do you know if they still consider it their responsibility if you've done something like block an access hatch - or could they insist you do the work to move it?  I would think that becomes quite arguable.  I had thought myself that at the end of the day if it was blocked up and you asked for a new line they'd maybe come out and do some digging, though equally they might say there's supposed to be some wires there, go get em for us... :).
I think you are giving BTO far too much credit. They won't have a clue where the cable is. IF & it's a very big IF it ever fails & they try & bill you argue the fact that their own terms state anything prior to the NTE is their property & responsibility. Seeing as you can't even see the cable enter your premises it's their problem to sort it out. You didn't install it that way & the fact is that cable should not be in the cavity, access hatch or not.

runitdirect

• run-IT-direct Online
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Not for the engineer it wouldn't ............ he would have found himself on the end of a '10-point failure' for fitting an incorrect closure to an underground cable.

Discipline offence for quality of personal workmanship. Taken very seriously if he had been audited on the job.
Perhaps they should have audited the job when the line was first installed. If BTO take quality "seriously" then their standards are seriously awful.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »

Get a grip. You are a supplier of wire/closures ... not an Openreach auditor, or engineer, or manager .... or anything to do with our business.

If the rules state that an 'above ground closure' CAN NOT be fitted onto underground cables, then that is how it is. 

You don't appear to 'be up' on working regulations, or the fact that in some areas, underground cables were installed like this.
Just as the electrical regs change over the years, so do ours ...... so, to pick you up on your other faux-pas, if it HAD have been audited when it was first installed, it would have passed.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

Rather than try and paste over giving out wrong advice, by mentioning an ad-hoc wiring scenario that can't be proven, lets try and stick to giving the OP correct information shall we ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

bogof

In my 33yrs of experience ..... my advice would be to just go ahead and cover the area where the cables meet.

It may be donkeys years before access was needed to the common-point, and if we can't find it/get to it ..... then we would simply input an A55 for our contractors to lay duct & rope, and an external BT66 would be sited.
Of course, we would need to then cable from here to your socket.

I have never personally known anyone be charged for this retrospective action, and the only duress to yourself/neighbour would be the laying of duct on your curtilage.
Reinstatement is guaranteed to be as good or better, than the state it was found in. Unless there's a filing cabinet in the way.

Basically, do what you have to do and sleep well tonight.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

I haven't read the whole thread, but I certainly do not like the way it was heading.  :(

Some posts had already been removed by the time this came to my attention and I was about to lock this thread, but then realised it would be unfair on bogof, when he was asking for advice.

What I will say is that at least 2 very experienced BT/Openreach engineers have contributed to this thread (plus others).   In particular, I would trust any advice given by Black Sheep as being current and correct.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:52:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anfield_92

• Just arrived
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »

D'ya know, anfield ....... I almost posted the other day that I've only EVER seen this kind of scenario, when I've been on loan to Liverpool.

Nowhere else.  :)

I am actually based around 100 miles further south, the username is a result of my loyal following of LFC :) Where I live the majority of areas built in the 60s/70s/80s are fed via frontage tees and direct lead ins, radial DP's and ducts are found only on relatively new estates.

Off topic but having worked all over the country on lodge it is interesting seeing how the network differs in different areas, there is a video on the BT archives website (titled Underground distribution on housing estates and found here https://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/BTsHistory/BTfilmarchive/1970s/index.htm) that shows some of the many different methods that were tried. I also find it amusing coming across lodge engineers in my patch with 20yrs experience who have never worked in a midland shelf pcp or jointing post/brick!

How does that work with BTO's claim that anything prior to the NTE is their property & subsequently their property?!

Any wiring prior to the NTE is openreach's responsibility to maintain, however it is also the customers responsibility to provide access to the wiring in their property in order for us to maintain it. If this is not possible and the only solution is to provide a new feed then this could be chargeable.

bogof

In my 33yrs of experience ..... my advice would be to just go ahead and cover the area where the cables meet.

I would agree with this - the wiring is unlikely to develop a fault unless there is damp nearby, and even if at a later date it did and you had to pay to remedy it that would cost no more than what you would have to pay to move it now anyway.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4