Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Average data use on broadband?  (Read 11543 times)

Re: Average data use on broadband?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »

Update - tried the secondary connection and it connects at the full 7.2Mbps. Speed tests even at this time of night are only showing 1-2Mbps downstream and about 300kbps upstream so there's some contention present.

There is a proxy and it does have the potential to cause problems - eg http://en-GB.fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/headlines.xml won't load, TBBs speedtest doesn't always work - presumably because someone else is already connecting from the proxy etc etc. I just VPN to the home connection and go through that but that's not an ideal situation.

All in all it works very well so far :)

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 09:54:23 AM »

I said that I probably wouldn't use the phone much on the internet - ermm wrong  :-[

I hadn't really explored it properly so last night I set most of it up and it now has :

1) RSS feeds - TBB, El Reg, Grauniad, Indy & Dilbert;
2) Skype - works surprisingly well;
3) Email - configured the home server to copy the (filtered) mail to the mobile;
4) Google Maps location services - I actually used this last night to find the nearest pizza place and ordered via text. Its just a very very useful app :) ;
5) It currently has a day's sub to the TV channels which again work pretty well.

I'm currently testing it out on the IPMI interface of the server - checking server temps/voltages/etc and powering it up/down on the mobile is pretty surreal :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »

>> I said that I probably wouldn't use the phone much on the internet - ermm wrong

Thanks for the interesting updates Rizla..  I have been reading but havent commented so far since I dont use mobile internet.. or rather I havent subscribed to a package.  My thoughts are that I dont really need it.. but that statement above of yours possibly indicates what would really happen if I did have it :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 04:42:04 PM »

The mobile broadband bit is frankly a little underwhelming - 1Mbps seems to be the norm wherever I try it in Leicester - but the phone is a revelation :) I don't know if its the fact its 3G but it feels "seamless" in much the same way broadband (with a router) does when comparing it to old 56k modems.

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 09:28:58 AM »

I'm pretty convinced that this product is rate limited to 1Mbps downstream and 300kbps upstream. I've tried different cells at different times and it makes no difference where you are, what time it is or whose test you try - all tests return the same results. I think the earlier results showing more than 1Mbps must have been speedtest.net throwing a wobbly.

Rather depressingly I notice that its entirely possible (and happens frequently) to get what looks like an overloaded pipe. Logout and back in again and more often than not its fine. Seems strangely familiar eh? ;)

Don't get me wrong, 1Mbps/300kbps is fine for my purposes but its not what is being advertised now is it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

:(  Not really.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »

Its Bluetooth causing the problem. If you pair a phone with the laptop then what happens is that the modem then appears on a com port which is naturally limited to 921,600bps, so there's the artificial limit. The only fix that will "stick" is to totally disable Bluetooth services in XP - services, drivers, everything.

Google searches show this is FAR from being a problem unique to 3 and everyone please remember that the phone and modem run on different SIMs so it shouldn't be happening. Rather handy for mobile phone operators though isn't it?  ::)

I've now managed 2.4Mbps downstream which isn't that far from the maximum speed 3 advertise (2.8Mbps).

One to remember I think. Thanks go to therioman over on TBB who got me thinking that it might be a local hardware limitation. It wasn't but it started me down the right path anyway :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

>>> Its Bluetooth causing the problem.

Where's the "slap hand to forehead" smiley when you need one?

>> One to remember I think. Thanks go to therioman over on TBB who got me thinking that it might be a local hardware limitation.

Indeed - Good deduction powers there sherlock :D

-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything