Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ZyXel Firmware release  (Read 6543 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
ZyXel Firmware release
« on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:42 PM »

New firmware for VMG1312-B10A and VMG3925-B10B are available from ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com. May be others but V14 available for VMG1312-B10A and V.10 for VMG3925-B10B.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZyXel Firmware release
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:56:10 AM »

Ack. I have a copy of V1.00(AAJZ.14)C0.bin for my VMG1312-B10A but I am reluctant to update the firmware at present.

(My VMG1312-B10D has had a serious "funny-fit"  :(  and is currently opened up, awaiting for the moment to be ripe when I connect to the serial port header pins on the PCB in an attempt to recover it. As a consequence, I am currently using my backup VMG1312-B10A.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:48 AM »

Sorry to hear your B10D has had a funny-fit. I have done my main in use B10A and two spares without problem to V14. All seem to be running fine although only tested the spares for a couple of minutes but main B10A has been up for 4 hours 50 minutes without problem.
Tim

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »

Has the f/w had any detrimental effect on the ability to telnet or run DSLStats?

Stuart

Update: Just looked at the 3925 pdf file, it reports some bland statements relating to Security enhancements and Busybox vulnerabilities being resolved. Makes me wonder what might happen id I load it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:26:33 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »

the last one I tried on the 3925 killed telnet

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »

Sorry to hear your B10D has had a funny-fit. I have done my main in use B10A and two spares without problem to V14. All seem to be running fine although only tested the spares for a couple of minutes but main B10A has been up for 4 hours 50 minutes without problem.

Contemplating updating my VMG1312-B10A to latest firmware, V.14, I'am still running V.12, question, am I likely to loose my supervisor PW with the FW update, I bought my router S/H from a forum member and had to obtain the supervisor PW by using the stat's file dump and examination method as described on the forum, if I need to repeat this procedure is it likely to still work ?

Should I perform a fresh configuration backup before FW update and restore after ?

Do I need to do anything with the ROM-D setup having already "cleaned" & "saved" on my present configuration.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:48 PM »

Contemplating updating my VMG1312-B10A to latest firmware, V.14, I'am still running V.12, question, am I likely to loose my supervisor PW with the FW update, I bought my router S/H from a forum member and had to obtain the supervisor PW by using the stat's file dump and examination method as described on the forum, if I need to repeat this procedure is it likely to still work ?

Should I perform a fresh configuration backup before FW update and restore after ?

Do I need to do anything with the ROM-D setup having already "cleaned" & "saved" on my present configuration.

My supervisor password stayed the same as I was able to login from a script with same password. Always worth backing up configuration before firmware upgrade. ROM-D should not need any attention if already cleared.
Tim

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »

@banger

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated, will give the FW update a go, hopefully over the weekend and report results.

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »

Has anyone had it on long enough to be able to discern any difference at all with the performance? I assume it still has the same modem code as V13?

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »

Yes, v13 and v14 have the same DSL code version A2pv6F039v and the same DSL driver version d26a

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »

Well, that's the 1312-B10A's firmware updated from V.12 to the current V.14, all very painless without any requirement to restore any of my parameters (Wi-Fi MAC filters, static I/P address listings etc.) also glad to note that my "supervisor" login password did not change.

Absolutely no change in line connection speeds, SNRM, interleaving, INP etc., probably to be expected in my case as I'am currently imposing modem synch limits as a noise limiting experiment.

However, I did experience a very strange bi-product with my WD "My Cloud" NAS drive which is connected to a router LAN port, this refused to connect after the router re-boot, my normal desktop link to the NAS actually brought up the router GUI login page !!
The static I/P address on the NAS had for some reason changed ?

After quite a bit of messing about and finally performing a NAS reset, managed to get everything back to the original configuration with original, static I/P address, no data loss experienced on the NAS.
Previous router re-boots have never caused any NAS access issues so can only attribute this incident to the F/W upgrade process strange as it may seem.

Next time, will shut down the NAS before performing any router F/W updates.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »

Well, that's the 1312-B10A's firmware updated from V.12 to the current V.14, all very painless without any requirement to restore any of my parameters (Wi-Fi MAC filters, static I/P address listings etc.) also glad to note that my "supervisor" login password did not change.

Having read of your success, I shall have to find the time to update my VMG1312-B10A's firmware from the current V1.00(AAJZ.13)C0 to V1.00(AAJZ.14)C0.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

@b*cat

Yes, it was surprisingly painless, a pleasant anti-climax apart from the strange occurance with my WD NAS, really can't explain that, still, no harm done and no data loss, will certainly shut the NAS down first for future F/W updates.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »

. . . the strange occurance with my WD NAS, really can't explain that, still, no harm done and no data loss, will certainly shut the NAS down first for future F/W updates.

I wonder  ::)  . . . I guess you have a DNCP server on your LAN and you probably also make use of UPnP ? Both functions could, if the timing was right, combine to cause confusion when LAN devices are in receipt dynamically assigned IP addresses.

Every device on my LAN has its own static address, including the wireless devices, and so I do not have a DHCP server active. Even so, at modem/router firmware update time I always --
  • make a backup copy of the current active configuration
  • disconnect the xDSL circuit from the device
  • disconnect every wired device, bar one, from the LAN
  • switch off every wireless device
-- then update the firmware via the only one wired LAN connection.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »

@b*cat

Sound advice, many thanks, I will certainly follow your advice on the next router S/W update event.

My LAN is very simple, XyXEL 1312-B10A, NAS drive, Sam-Knows White Box (a TP-Link unit), Win desktop PC and Win laptop PC when in use. On the router, I implement static I/P address'es by MAC for all ethernet connected devices.
I also MAC filter all router Wi-Fi access for security. 
Pages: [1] 2

anything