Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VMG1312-B10D Firmware Update Stops DSLstats  (Read 8976 times)

shoey

Re: VMG1312-B10D Firmware Update Stops DSLstats
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »

Rolling back to 5.13(AAXA.5)C0 works.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:20:13 PM by shoey »

anoggin

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »

I just updated my Zyxel VMG1312-B10D to the current firmware, v5.13(AAXA.7)C0, released in December.

Now, on logging in to the box with telnet or ssh, I find the available commands no longer include "xdslctl" or any of the other common adsl commands.  Consequently, when DSLstats logs in and executes "xdslctl info --stats", it gets back no data.

Nor does there seem to be any way to invoke a shell that might make other commands available.  This change to the firmware was not documented in the release notes and there appears to be no CLI reference manual available either.

One other user has encountered the same behaviour and has posted at https://homeforum.zyxel.com/ without getting a useful reply.

I have opened a support ticket with Zyxel and we'll see if that produces anything. Meanwhile, does anyone here know how to make the VMG1312-B10D work again with DSLstats?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »

. . . does anyone here know how to make the VMG1312-B10D work again with DSLstats?

Downgrade the firmware to V5.11(AAXA.4)C0 is my immediate suggestion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anoggin

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

Shoey, did you ever receive the reply you were promised from Zyxel support?

I have opened a ticket with them today on this issue. Nothing so far.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:16:58 PM by anoggin »

anoggin

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »

I have had this reply from Zyxel tech support:

"For security reasons the CLI based on Linux was exchange through a Sandbox. That is why those commands are not there anymore.   Our RD is working on a feature request for the xdsl features and will implement them as soon as possible."

I assume that the phrase "was exchange through a Sandbox" means something like "the CLI has been placed in a sandbox" where it can no longer be reached.

This is the world in which we live, where fears about 'security' become more important than functionality.  They overlook the fact that this will force people like us to stay with an old version of the firmware and so not get any of their future security updates. 

For now, it's back to 5.13(AAXA.5)C0 for me.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »

I have had this reply from Zyxel tech support:

"For security reasons the CLI based on Linux was exchange through a Sandbox. That is why those commands are not there anymore.   Our RD is working on a feature request for the xdsl features and will implement them as soon as possible."

This makes no sense at all. Zyxel have just released a new firmware for the VMG1312-B10A and that still has full access to the shell. It seems very odd they've implemented on the D model only.

Just checked on Zyxel's UK website and I now can't see any firmware for the D model available for download.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

anoggin

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »

This makes no sense at all. Zyxel have just released a new firmware for the VMG1312-B10A and that still has full access to the shell. It seems very odd they've implemented on the D model only.

I shall point that out to them.

Just checked on Zyxel's UK website and I now can't see any firmware for the D model available for download.

Yes, they have managed to hide it so it cannot be found by looking up the model number.  I had to ask Zyxel support where it had gone and they sent me this link:

https://www.zyxel.com/support/DownloadLandingSR.shtml?c=gb&l=en&kbid=M-02263&md=VMG1312-B10D

It's also available by FTP here: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG1312-B10D/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:00:52 PM by anoggin »

shoey

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »

anoggin,

The only response i had was they spoke to the developers and the response was it was all locked out due to security risks.

I did ask if they would consider adding xdslctl to the safe list of commands, and their response was that they were open to looking into it but with no firm commitment either way.

I guess we'll just have to wait an see.
Pages: 1 [2]