Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Uncapped XGSPON  (Read 16337 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: Uncapped XGSPON
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2023, 08:52:03 PM »

I'm starting to become a fan of CGNAT seeing as I now operate an ISP network...

Which variety are you using?
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2023, 02:41:35 AM »

Design changed again, to better replicate a high availability pro DC set up.

I forgot I had an RB5009 next to the existing one. It's now alive, peered with everything via BGP and doing what it should be. It's now an edge router: it advertises that is has a route to the Internet available though it's not as good as the other guy. Doesn't even use its own Internet link for own traffic: goes across the slipstream to the primary.

The previous 5009 sits waiting for VRRP to send things its way as the 2116 isn't working then will use a 2.5G port to talk on the 222 train and know whether to send across the switching plane to the sexay server or to send to its buddy 5009.

I ran out of 10G ports so, rescued from eBay, a CRS309-1G-8S-IN is ready to rumble and has been able to offload everything bar a couple of clients running GbE from the t existing switch.

If I'm honest that switch's lifespan isn't looking too promising. It's going to be replaced by some cheap unmanaged gigabit switch.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:00:24 AM by XGS_Is_On »

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2023, 08:54:49 AM »

Do the rest of the users in the household experience a highly available network with constant tinkering/engineering of a home network lab?  :)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »

Do the rest of the users in the household experience a highly available network with constant tinkering/engineering of a home network lab?  :)

I often break mine, I just have to inform my wife and she's usually fine with some quick tinkering :)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2023, 09:08:13 AM »

Apart from the brief blips when I moved cabling from one switch to another there was zero downtime to either this or the earlier activity.

I work on one half at a time and point all the client machines to the other half. I logically separate them by switching off the routing protocol between them as necessary.

Even installing a new router as I did wasn't noticed because I did it on the backup. All our traffic was happily flowing through the main router and the YouFibre connection.

It's very easy - change a VRRP priority number to change which is primary and secondary then hit the disable button on BGP sessions and the job's done. Everything goes through the backup. Put them back the way they were and the primary is back.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2023, 03:19:34 PM »

I inform my wife when I’m about to break the network. Usually she doesn’t see any problem when I’m merely taking one modem down, as with my IP-bonded setup traffic is very quickly redirected to the other lines, within 5 secs or so.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2023, 07:37:43 PM »

When she's working from home now my better half has her own access point. I can do what I want with the main one without breaking her work connection.

Obviously a hit moving to a different Internet connection. Unavoidable unless I were to buy PI space and persuade my ISPs to route it to me.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything