Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ’Console’ access  (Read 1461 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
’Console’ access
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »

[Have talked about this before.]

Devices such as some Cisco WAPs and switches have some rs232-like interface on the back? For admin purposes. I'm assuming these things are RS232-like framing but not necessarily with the real RS232 voltage levels ? (or much in the way of current driving capabilities)

Is that about right?

I'm wondering how to hook one of those up to a LAN, ultimately to an iPad.

Burakkucat sent me a link to a device that will convert a console-type i/f to USB. I don't know about software for an iPad though.

If the raspberry pi comes back to life then I could perhaps plug USB into the Pi?

I don't know anything about the lightning connector i/f on the iPad. If that is USB-like then there might be some iPad app that could speak the correct protocols for a (logical) RS232-like device and talk to our console.

I did see an advert for a complete working ipad solution though! An app-plus-h/w combination  called Get Console - which is $199 [!] just for the cable and then you need to pay for an ios app to go with it too. So pretty expensive.

I could use such a thing to roger a Cisco switch or a WAP if I get into bad trouble with one, that's the hope. However, having one earlier would not have helped me with the problems I had with the Cisco 1830 WAPs though because if I understood correctly, it actually turned out that I needed software for the WAPs that I simply could not get hold of myself.

Could anyone tell me if you can manage to get away without having one if you have a Cisco switch and you get into very bad trouble? Basically is there some physical mega-reset sequence? Be warned, I’m thinking of the SG300 switch which I’m told is really Linksys, not a main Cisco product.

I imagine there are three possible kinds of badness: one is messing up the config or locking yourself out. Or the second is something where you need to put a new software image into the box and console access is essential, possibly, possibly you don't have to go to such lengths. The third though is basically a dead box or one that dies during boot, either because of interruption of
re-flashing when the device doesn't have proper dual image-type recovery boot loader architecture  or where you putting a bad software image into the thing, so a reflashing completes but the end result is beyond nasty. (Would have to be a lack of or failure of an NT-style ‘last known good’ type of protection system, unless the issue is not a boot-sequence related one with a new software load.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ’Console’ access
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »

Just a quick note to point you to one of my more recent threads, A Proprietary, Non-Standard, Interface . . ., in which WWWombat and I discussed the Cisco console interface.

(On reviewing that thread, I see it yet another one that I have started but have failed to complete. There is one further post that I could make to conclude the thread. (Yet another item on my ever growing ToDo List.  ::)  ))
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything