Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Infinity 2 VDSL - loss of speed/IP Profile  (Read 7616 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: BT Infinity 2 VDSL - loss of speed/IP Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »

If I was in your position I would put the hg612 back if i was getting that level of errors.

Not sure what to suggest other than seeing if anyone posts with a similar situation as you and how they solved?

I would be very surprised if hg612 was the best solution though.

Can anyone help me (as I think I am at my limit of knowledge) and obviously the the op by posting some make and models of modems that should make a difference and why so he has options if he wants to pursue further research?

colin79666

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 01:41:02 PM »

Went back to the HG612 just after my last post - sync up and CRC errors back to near zero.

Looking back at the stats it appears something off happened yesterday afternoon (before I switched to the ZyXEL) where the attainable speed jumped back to probably where it was before all my troubles started towards the end of last year. I'm wondering if a cross talker disconnected for a period or something. If I spot it again while it is happening I'll run down to the cabinet and see if an engineer is in there tinkering!

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »

Went back to the HG612 just after my last post - sync up and CRC errors back to near zero.

Looking back at the stats it appears something off happened yesterday afternoon (before I switched to the ZyXEL) where the attainable speed jumped back to probably where it was before all my troubles started towards the end of last year. I'm wondering if a cross talker disconnected for a period or something. If I spot it again while it is happening I'll run down to the cabinet and see if an engineer is in there tinkering!

Running down the road in your dressing gown and slippers! Will be a strange site indeed!  ;) :D

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

FWIW I am also on an ECI cabinet, and my usual router is a Lantiq based Draytek Vigor 2760, which seems to suit my line perfectly. Over the last few months I've tried a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and a Technicolor DGA4130, all broadcom based of course. They have all produced a much higher error level than the Draytek, with only a modest increase in sync.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

GaryW

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »

FWIW I am also on an ECI cabinet, and my usual router is a Lantiq based Draytek Vigor 2760, which seems to suit my line perfectly. Over the last few months I've tried a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and a Technicolor DGA4130, all broadcom based of course. They have all produced a much higher error level than the Draytek, with only a modest increase in sync.

It does seem to be a case of suck-it-and-see rather than there being hard and fast rules.   I'm also on an ECI cabinet, getting a (banded) 14999 downstream sync with a Broadcom-based Billion 8900AX-2400.  I tried a Draytek 2760 and it synced at 11399, which is a huge drop.  I didn't leave it connected long enough to compare error rates!
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

colin79666

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »

Well this just gets more odd by the hour. Logged into see the stats this evening and it looks like not long after the HG612 went back in the attainable rate climbed up from being stuck around 61Mbps to 69Mbps DS. I risked another resync and sure enough the HG612 is now synced at that rate! Not too far off

Perhaps all the errors with the ZyXEL has unstuck the DLM on my line?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »

I tried a Draytek 2760 and it synced at 11399, which is a huge drop.  I didn't leave it connected long enough to compare error rates!

11399 (11.4Mb) is 1 of the banding profiles. The Draytek might be worth another try if you still have it as it would likely sync higher now your banding has increased.

I've actually got two ZyXEL VMG1312-B10Ds and have tried both. Each has much the same stats after an hour of running so I think I'm perhaps just unlucky that they don't agree with my particular line. I've seen plenty positive comments from others about their performance although one reviewer on Amazon did comment that the B10D did give them more errors than their HG612.

Any reason you bought 2 x VMG1312-B10Ds.
The VMG1312-B10A has a better chipset and should sync higher.

The Zyxel VMG1312-B10A is the best performing modem I've used, on both sync rate and errors.
It can have IPV6 issues if being used as a router so I'd only recommend it to anyone who uses a modem in bridge mode with a separate router.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:56:45 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

colin79666

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »

Any reason you bought 2 x VMG1312-B10Ds.
The VMG1312-B10A has a better chipset and should sync higher.

The Zyxel VMG1312-B10A is the best performing modem I've used, on both sync rate and errors.
It can have IPV6 issues of being used as a router so is only recommend it to anyone who uses a modem in bridge mode with a separate router.

Simply was part of a job lot so ended up with 2 for the price of about 1. I know the VMG1312-B10A has the better chipset but figured the D would at least be newer than in the HG612. AA and Zen are both using the VMG1312-B10D so figured if it was good enough for them then it would be worth a shot. The VMG1312-B10A is considerably more expensive at the moment on the most well known auction site but I'll keep an eye out as they occasionally pop up for a bargain.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »

@colin79666

From your MDWS stat's, note that your 4 re-synch's today were "LOS" as was yesterday's, looks like the last DLM instigated re-synch was on 23/01, recorded as "NEG", the usual DLM instigated re-synch indication is "RDI".
From your posts, you have changed out your router very frequently over the last few days which would account for the "LOS" re-synch's (manual power down of your router)
As you most likely know, frequent re-synch's for whatever reason will eventually annoy DLM and should be avoided if possible.
Do have a read at the excellent DLM information section of the kitz site which explains how manual re-synch impact on DLM can be minimised, very informative.

Your DS ES/CRC rates are abnormally high especially considering that DS G.INP is active, currently well into ILQ red, I would have thought that DLM action is imminent soon. (usually actioned after midnight unless very severe, early hours of the morning after DLM system has made it's assesments for the previous day's line performance)
As you have substituted a number of different routers on your line I would have thought it's now looking unlikely that a router is the underlying cause of your noise issue.

Is it time to get your ISP to run a line check, hoping that the noise issue is not an intermittant fault on your line, obviously ensuring to the best of your ability that you don't have any internal wiring/equipment faults as per your earlier actions running the modem directly from the master socket.

In the mean time, I would be inclined to leave one router in service, your choice, no more manual re-synch's and give DLM a chance to take remedial action on the line which it certainly should do in it's current condition.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

colin79666

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »

Thanks tiffy for your input.

Yes I'm certainly going to leave well alone over the next few days to let things settle down.  :fingers: that DLM doesn't kick in and clobber the line overnight as it is looking good just now. The errors only became a thing with the ZyXEL but the change of attainable rate over the last 24/48 hours is a mystery.

I'm perfectly happy with the current sync rate (about as good as possible at my distance to the cab) but should it drop off again this time I will have stats to fall back on so will be getting onto BT to complain.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »

@colin79666

I'am certainly no expert and very much still on a steep learning curve, but, in my opinion although you are happy with your line's current DS synch rate the MDWS DS ES rate is certainly abnormally high @ 5892, well into ILQ red status, with that and 4 retrains in 24 hours I would be surprised if DLM action did not take place tomorrow, will be interesting to see exactly what that action is, hopefully not line banding.

There has to be some reason for the very high (possibly intermittant) DS ES/CRC error rate which I am inclined to believe is not directly associated with your routers, could of course be wrong !

GaryW

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

11399 (11.4Mb) is 1 of the banding profiles. The Draytek might be worth another try if you still have it as it would likely sync higher now your banding has increased.

When I tried the Draytek my banding was already at 14999 with the Billion - I literally connected the Draytek, got the 11399 sync, then switched straight back to the Billion again at 14999 (and returned the Draytek to Amazon!).
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »

@colin79666

From your current MDWS router stats:
As predicted and totally to expectation, you had a DLM (RDI) intervention in the early hours of this morning, main observations:
DS synch rate has gone back to virtually where it was before the last re-synch.
US synch has remained at max attainable.
DS SNRM has remained virtually the same.
US SNRM has been increased considerably.
G.Inp retx profile has been changed from low to high (see B0 INP Rein parameter, changed from 0 to 1)
DS interleaving has remained the same but INP has increased.

Changes mostly to expectation considering the previous very high DS ES rate, DLM trying to stabilise the line.
Not sure on the substantial increase in US SNRM but would not worry as you are at max US synch rate anyway.
Also be aware that your DS data rate will now be lower by virtue of lower synch rate and the G.Inp retx profile change, data throughput ration approx. 91% on retx high and approx.97% on retx low.

If this was my line I would be patience, leave everything as it is, no more manual re-synch's or router changes and wait to see what DLM's next move is.
Important to keep the stat's uploading 24/7 to MDWS to trend any changes that may/will occur, if it should turn out that there is an intermittant line fault it will show up, if you keep changing routers and manually re-synch'ing it will be difficult to tell the difference.

colin79666

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

Thanks tiffy, yes got the alert email this morning to notify be of the somewhat expect DLM instigated resync.
Odd that the US rate has remained higher than it was for previous week, probably related to the big SNR changes that have happened since switching back to the HG612.

All the CRC errors were when the ZyXEL was connected so I will leave the HG612 alone as you suggest and see how DLM behaves when things are more stable. I know switching them around won't have done any favours but leaving the ZyXEL in place was not an option and with all the errors would probably have cause a bigger DLM reaction.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »

Odd that the US rate has remained higher than it was for previous week, probably related to the big SNR changes that have happened since switching back to the HG612.

My line G.Inp retx profile has changed quite a few times low/high, one effect I have noticed that on retx high profile (as your line is now) my DS synch is higher but DS data throughput lower due to the lower data throughput ratio associated with the retx high profile.
Usually works out what I gain on one (DS synch) I loose on the other (DS data TP) with any low/high retx profile change.
However, I would imagine the retx high profile should be more effective at dealing with DS noise sources.

Check your present BTw BRAS IP profile from the BTw WS Performance Checker (further diagnostics) or use the mouselike.org checker.
DS data throughput ration can then be calculated:
BRAS IP profile / DS synch speed X 100 = TP ratio %
Expected approx. ratios for retx high/low profiles as per previous post.

Apologies if this is obvious or you are already aware, I certainly had to ask not that long ago.

Were both of your ZyXEL 1312-B10D's suspect "noisy" or just one unit ? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything