Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi wear - log files and other frequently updated stuff  (Read 1959 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I’ve just been reading something about SD cards dying in the Raspberry Pi (revk’s blog). I’m surprised that this is an issue since I would have thought that people get wear-levelling cards. Perhaps they don’t do so? I don’t know how I would find one, unfortunately, I can’t seem to see sufficient detail given when products are listed.

The article linked to earlier refers to an ‘industrial’ so-called small card for sale at RS. I wonder if that is another word for wear-levelling?

My question: How can I move frequently written files to a RAM disk? I would need to find out how to crate one first. Can I then just make a link in order to con the system? (What if it deletes the link?) I imagine that I might want to not relocate/redirect an entire directory, but just one file therein. So if the idea even works what do I do, at boot, move the real file or entire directory to a different device, then make the link to the new location, to be done one time only?

I think I can create a link with ln that will affect files not yet created - is that correct?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:26:23 AM by Weaver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Raspberry Pi wear - log files and other frequently updated stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »

One thing you might consider is the Western Digital PiDrive. Have a look at

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/meet-314gb-pidrive/
https://www.wdc.com/products/wdlabs.html
  Eric