Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MS server 2008 R2 PHP connecting to SQL2000  (Read 45946 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: MS server 2008 R2 PHP connecting to SQL2000
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 07:50:08 AM »

the version of php currently running on the old windows server is 5.3.8.
the version of php being used isn't important as long as a connection to the SQL server can still be made once migrated to the 2008 R2 server.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

Support for php 5.x ends 31 December 2018 (active support has already ended and it is now on security support only).  You look to be spending a lot of effort coming up with a solution which is not sustainable going forward.

There comes a point where you have to take a pragmatic decision as to whether the long term best solution is to do a full upgrade to current versions.

You said "don't fix what isn't broken" - I'd suggest it is broken.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:06:51 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

watcher

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »

Updating PHP from 5.3.8 to 5.3.29 to sustain this particular database software/server software combination is not really an issue unless the server is connected to the internet and is serving up web pages. Then there might then be a concern about security, depending on the risks that might or might not remain in PHP 5.3.29 which dates from August 2014. However the announcement of PHP 5.3.29 does say that it contains about 25 potentially security related fixes backported from PHP 5.4 and 5.5.

The need to sustain older combinations of software is I suspect a reality of life in many commercial and public organisations. Updating is not as straight forward as it might seem. Microsoft's updating process for SQL Server, also known as Discontinued Database Engine Functionality in SQL Server 2xxx, does include the renaming and/or removal of features as well as the addition of them, creating the risk of the need to substantially rewrite any existing code base.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »

Support for php 5.x ends 31 December 2018 (active support has already ended and it is now on security support only).  You look to be spending a lot of effort coming up with a solution which is not sustainable going forward.

There comes a point where you have to take a pragmatic decision as to whether the long term best solution is to do a full upgrade to current versions.

You said "don't fix what isn't broken" - I'd suggest it is broken.

it's not broken though.
the SQL 2000 is rock solid and there is solely to be the backend for a specific application. that isn't broken and doesn't need touched.

the virtual web server is running on a piece of hardware that is being replaced and as such windows 2008 R2 will be the OS for the virtual servers running on that hardware - that is the sole reason for the change of the webserver.

Updating PHP from 5.3.8 to 5.3.29 to sustain this particular database software/server software combination is not really an issue unless the server is connected to the internet and is serving up web pages. Then there might then be a concern about security, depending on the risks that might or might not remain in PHP 5.3.29 which dates from August 2014. However the announcement of PHP 5.3.29 does say that it contains about 25 potentially security related fixes backported from PHP 5.4 and 5.5.

The need to sustain older combinations of software is I suspect a reality of life in many commercial and public organisations. Updating is not as straight forward as it might seem. Microsoft's updating process for SQL Server, also known as Discontinued Database Engine Functionality in SQL Server 2xxx, does include the renaming and/or removal of features as well as the addition of them, creating the risk of the need to substantially rewrite any existing code base.

almost all of the web stuff uses ASP and there is no issue with changing the OS there. only a small part uses PHP.
the web server is public facing and on the "internet". the SQL server is not public facing.

indeed, the need for touching the SQL server simply isn't there.

too many peope think that upgrading is a simple process, but it really isn't when you have to consider business continuity and the risks involved.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »

the virtual web server is running on a piece of hardware that is being replaced and as such windows 2008 R2 will be the OS for the virtual servers running on that hardware - that is the sole reason for the change of the webserver.

Words fail me! A piece of hardware that is being replaced by a virtual server running a version of windows server that is even further past end of life than php!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »

Words fail me! A piece of hardware that is being replaced by a virtual server running a version of windows server that is even further past end of life than php!

if words are failing you then feel free to not particpate any further in the thread.
you don't seem to be offering much anyway.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »

I'm back looking at this again after a period of being distracted with other things.

I have a clean install of Windows 2008 R2 64-bit.
PHP 5.3.8 installed (php-5.3.8-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.msi)
"extension=php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll" and "extension=php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll" enabled in php.ini (and the dll files placed in in the "ext" folder).
php.php loads find and shows php is running.

I have a small script that attempts to connect to the SQL server (SQL2000 running on windows 2003 32-bit server), and display a few rows of data.

Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html lang="EN">

<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>

<body>

<?php
$ctsref 
$_GET['callref'];
?>

<div class="popup-content">

<h1>Job Documents for <?php echo $ctsref;?></h1>

<?php
$serverName "SQLSERVERNAME";
$connectionInfo = array( "Database"=>"DBNAME""UID"=>"username""PWD"=>"password");
$conn sqlsrv_connect$serverName$connectionInfo );
if( $conn === false ) {
    die( print_rsqlsrv_errors(), true));
}

$sql "select * from linked_documents where ld_link_reference = '$ctsref'";
$stmt sqlsrv_query$conn$sql );
if( $stmt === false) {
    die( print_rsqlsrv_errors(), true) );
}

$fileCounter 0;
while( $row sqlsrv_fetch_array$stmtSQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC) ) {

$fileCounter++;

?>

<p>

<?php
$dt $row['LD_DateTime'];
$ldcat $row['LD_Category'];
$ldembed $row['LD_Embedded'];
echo $dt->format('d/m/Y H:i:s');
echo " | ";
echo $row['LD_Category'];
echo " | ";
?>

<?php
if (
$ldembed == "1" && $ldcat == "Photo") {
?>

<a target="_blank" href="view_photo.asp?docid=<?php echo $row['LD_ID'];?>">VIEW PHOTO</a>

<?php    
} elseif (
$ldembed == "0" && $ldcat == "Photo") {
?>

<a href="view_docs.php?docid=<?php echo $row['LD_ID'];?>">VIEW PHOTO</a>

<?php    
} else {
?>

<a href="view_docs.php?docid=<?php echo $row['LD_ID'];?>">VIEW DOCUMENT</a>
<?php        
}
?>

</p>

<?php

}
    if (
$fileCounter == 0) {

?>
<p>No documents have been uploaded.</p><?php

}

sqlsrv_free_stmt$stmt);

?>

</div>

</body>
</html>

When i load the page (with the appropriate query string) i get the following error:

Code: [Select]
Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => IMSSP [SQLSTATE] => IMSSP [1] => -49 [code] => -49 [2] => This extension requires either the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client (SP1 or later) or the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC Driver to communicate with SQL Server. Neither of those ODBC Drivers are currently installed. Access the following URL to download the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver for x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163712 [message] => This extension requires either the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client (SP1 or later) or the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC Driver to communicate with SQL Server. Neither of those ODBC Drivers are currently installed. Access the following URL to download the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver for x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163712 ) [1] => Array ( [0] => IM002 [SQLSTATE] => IM002 [1] => 0 [code] => 0 [2] => [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified [message] => [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified ) )
The error suggests i need to install the ODBC driver, so i downloaded and installed both "Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server" and "Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server". I could only install the 64-bit versions of both of those. Rebooted, tried again and still the same error.

I'm at a loss as to what else is required to make this work.

Looking back on the thread, it seems I may need to change the PHP version?
We have the potential to change the Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012, but the SQL server will always remain SQL2000 32-bit for the long-term foreesable future.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:11:25 PM by chenks »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »

well i finally got this working

php 5.3.29 got it working along with an IIS extension called PHP manager which checks the php.ini for any errors or config issues. it has a "fix" option which corrects any potential issues.

the combination of those two resulted in it working.
Pages: 1 [2]