Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: When to unplug Vodafone router?  (Read 2194 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
When to unplug Vodafone router?
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »

I have been on ADSL for years; for the last 12 months with John Lewis, supplied by PlusNet. We don't have high bandwidth demands so that has been sufficient, but for security reasons my internal LAN is segmented into several VLANs.
Approaching renewal time, Vodafone were offering 38Mbps WBC FTTC cheaper than anything I could find for ADSL (my exchange is Market A), so I have contracted with them and switchover is scheduled for 30/1/18.

I am aware that there is widespread dissatisfaction with the VF supplied router, and have bought and unlocked a Technicolor DGA4130 and now run DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi Zero, with data uploaded to MDWS. I was inspired by the informative thread on that here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20343.0.html

VF have assured me that once the line is live they will give me my broadband username and password, and judging by others' recent experience that shouldn't be a problem :fingers:. My question is, how long should I leave the VF router connected before I switch over to the DGA4130? I believe that for ADSL, the recommended 'settling in' period is 10 days, but is it the same for VDSL?

I don't know if I will be able to extract line stats from the VF router, so I am keen to start with the DGA4130 as soon as possible. (Although to be honest I don't yet understand the significance of most of the numbers!)

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

(PS to mods: if this is in the wrong place, please relocate it. Thanks!)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Re: When to unplug Vodafone router?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »

As long as you leave a gap of at least 30 minutes between powering off the Vodafone router, and powering up the DGA4130 there should be no issues at all.

It might be worth you pre-configuring the DGA4130 with the Vodafone User ID and password before connecting it to the phone line. That way, when you are ready to swap the devices over, the DGA4130 should power up and connect immediately.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »

Thanks @JamesK.

I understand that on first connection the VF router takes a while to get authorisation. Should I wait a day or so for this before swapping?

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »

Yes, I'd initially use the Vodafone router to get started and ensure everything is working properly. Vodafone customer services won't support you when you're running a 3rd party router. I'd say a day maximum, personally I would just wait a few hours after successfully connecting.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:30 PM »

Once that Vodafone modem/router HHG2500 goes live 30/1/18 then make a call to Broadband support team and request your Vodafone User ID and password then write it down correctly then enter this in to your new modems VDSL Wan configuration save and connect ASAP  :)

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »

Once you’re up and running keep a close eye on how the service performs. There’s a few posts on the Vodafone forums regarding download speeds being far less than the sync speed of the modem. This is affecting users using the Vodafone router and 3rd party. There are others reporting quite a bit of packet loss.
Makes me wonder if the Vodafone network cannot handle the number of customers they’ve taken on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything