Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: google as homepage  (Read 4145 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
google as homepage
« on: May 14, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »

I have Google UK set as my homepage, for my sins, and have been wondering today if anything is amiss in my PC or with said Google.
The layout of the Google page keeps changing in part as can be seen in the pic, specifically the line giving links to images, news, mail etc.
On alternate openings of my homepage, that line in either in the top left hand corner, or is centered above the normal search box.
Is anyone else seeing this ?

ps, have stuck two pics together here, it does not appear in this doubled up format.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: google as homepage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »

I doubt if anything is amiss. Google do change their main page layout fairly frequently, and that's probably all that's happened. But I'm no security expert, so maybe someone else knows better.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »

Thank you for your time and trouble in posting.
Yes, Google do often change there logo for special days and occasions, but not normally several times in a day.
The two screenies above were taken within minutes of each other.
Open my browser, and it is displaying one way............shut down and immediately re-open and it is the other way.
Curious.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:33:48 PM »

Mine is always showing the links in the top left of the picture - on Firefox and on Opera.  I can't get it to appear in any other position but I do think I recall seeing centred over the search box on previous occasions - strange how little we notice everyday things and how much we take for granted sometimes.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »

Mine is the same as your top one in Opera, although Im sure Ive also seen it centered.

One thing that does occur - dont google have several different severs? (They have to to be able to cope with demand)  Therefore I wonder if the layout or CSS is perhaps different depending on which server you hit.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »

Thanks again for the responses.

I think I have the answer...........that line of text is female..............can't make up it's mind  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »

:lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »

haha that'd be right ;)

I must admit I've seen the two different styles, and thought nothing really of it. Google have probably got hundreds of web-facing servers.. and who knows how Google works, perhaps they are trying out two different layouts randomly and monitoring forums to see which one people prefer.

Or maybe they have already installed a Google Thought Reader, called iTelepath™ in the Google Toolbar and they are collaborating the thoughts of billions of people on which layout they prefer :-\
Chris