Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Using DSLstats to detect line errors and force line to resync.  (Read 10062 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Using DSLstats to detect line errors and force line to resync.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »

Hi kitz

Many thanks

I’m sorry, you need to check it works on your router first.

Just save it as a .vbs file, then double click file (you may need to hash out the quit line so you can see result)

The wait timing between down and up need adjusting to the time you want, and I think they are in ms rather then seconds

Once happy it works, add the quit line back in and schedule

I would suggest on the hour with 4 schedule starting at 9am to 12 noon, so it covers both prior to 8.30 and after 11.30, but this just my thoughts

Hopefully a better solution will surface very soon

I did think of snmp or if you run a snmp server, but there may not be oid for your router so may not work, as snmp traps could signal action to take

I hope it helps you a little

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »

I've also got another idea forming.   

I hate email on my phone - I get too much of it and the final straw was the day a certain impatient member of this forum started bombarding me with email whilst at a close friends funeral demanding attention.  Luckily I had the phone switched off for the public church service and following crem service for family , but I think a few of you may have seen my subsequent reaction when I did turn my phone on and see all the emails.   :mad:
Since that day I deleted all mail from my phone however......

Within the past half hour, I've stumbled across a feature on Android phones (presumably Apple with have something similar) called Priority Senders. 
I'm not quite sure if this would work yet from reading this but perhaps something for me to play with on my S5 Neo.
I could even create an email address just for use with DSLstats. 

I'm likely to get an email each day, but if things work as they should...   5 emails in a row should alert me that there is a problem.   

THEN
- if I'm home..  easy peasy go reboot the modem, or I could even be lazy and use an adaptation of d2d4j's script to run once.
- OR if Im not.   Use the Kasa app to remotely turn off one of the HS100 smart plugs which has the modem directly plugged into.

Right now I don't have a spare HS100 as both are in use elsewhere - but one of them is currently controlling an extension lead for several plugs for xmas lights.   Come next week I could re-use that.  I am so kicking myself I didn't pick up another when I qualified for the tplink £9.99 offer.
Atm Alexa controls all the smart plugs, but Im pretty sure I can still use Kasa as a stand alone in addition to the Alexa integration.    -  Yes I can... just tested it.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »

Hi kitz

Good idea and not seen that on iPhone

Just a point over turning of power socket to modem - how would you turn it back on if away or did you mean repower the power socket

There is another way I just thought of, but depends upon how many email alerts you would normally receive - email to sms - we use this to communicate to clients and works well - email to sms does cost though

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »

Just a point over turning of power socket to modem - how would you turn it back on if away or did you mean repower the power socket

The standalone Kasa app is quite simple to use as a simple on/off.   
 atm I use the Alexa integration feature, but a quick test still allows me to use Kasa independently.   
Can remote switch on/off or even set schedules.     Oooooh now...  theres another thought and perhaps something to play with as so far I've only directly used it for on/off.

-------------

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.    Noooooooooooo  :wall: :wall:  :doh:

"Repowering the socket should hopefully cause the modem to come back on."   How the heck am I going to do that remotely if its the modem which is off.  :'( :'( :'(

Need to think this through further.   Perhaps schedule to come back up 5 mins after I manually turn it off.   :hmm:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »

May be able to do something with Kaza scheduler.   Ive managed to successfully set up a schedule within Kaza that appears to turn the tree lights on even if my phone and router wifi is off.  It may be possible to schedule the plug controlling the modem to switch back on... as long as I enter a schedule before turning it off.      Need to do some further testing on this method when the plug is free to test with the router rather than just xmas lights. 
-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

Has enabling the sesdrop capability of the modem been considered? I'm assuming that the CRCs start racking up at a high enough rate for seconds to be classed as SES.

xdslctl configure --sesdrop on

Of course I don't actually know if it works or does what it sounds like it does, you'd have to try it and find out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

xdslctl configure --sesdrop on

Of course I don't actually know if it works or does what it sounds like it does, you'd have to try it and find out.

Ah, it took me a couple of moments but then I realised what you were considering . . . if it does work that way, then that could well be a solution.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »

@ejs.   I see what you mean. :)
I'm assuming that the CRCs start racking up at a high enough rate for seconds to be classed as SES.

Yes they do,   last time I got somewhere in the region of 3570 SES.

I have tried researching sesdrop but there seems very little information about what it does.   
The only parameters I can see are on/off

Most of the info seems to be either for the d-link or old netgear routers. 

link1
1. By setting the sesdrop, the modem will disconnect the ADSL connection if SES detects an error. Turn ON NOT recommended!

Several other references suggest it shouldnt be switched off eg here.

I found something on the TT forum which seemed to lack understanding, but I also this, which appears to have been semi-copied from a convo Asbokid & snadge made a few years ago on these forums. here about sesdrop.
Sesdrop
Enabling this option, it will be possible to reduce/eliminate transmission controls and error corrections on data packets, trying to reduce latency in particular on "Interleaved" path ADSL line. It's recommended not to use this option, because many unwanted reliability issues may occur, but if you have excellent line values, you can try to see its effects.
Selecting: default, the router will use ISP predefined setting, normally disabled.

No-one appears to be brave enough to try it, but everything seems to imply that it will drop the line whenever a [single] SES is detected.
So yes it could be a solution..  but I'm also wondering how risky it would be if it dropped the line several times..  thats assuming if it automatically comes back up.    I don't usually get many SES unless the line is on one of its 'stuck' periods.

In the meantime, I remotely played with the Kaza app whilst at someone elses house and it looks like as long as I reschedule the line to come back up before dropping it then that may also work.   Ive only tested it so far with the tree lights and not the modem.   
Because Ive had guests staying Ive also not had chance to play with setting up a new email for DSLstats and setting priority mail on my phone.   

-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

Hi kitz

Sorry I didn’t follow everything re NS

I believe sesdrop will drop and reconnect back - ie the router is designed to reconnect if connection dropped unless you have set not too. This maybe very risky and why it is defaulted to off

If your brave enough to try it I wish you luck and hope I am wrong

I think your idea of scheduling a power on first before power off power socket for router should work, as it is just turning the power off (last gasp maybe signalled) and then powering on

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

Yes I think the Kaza route would probably be safest.   Aside from testing with the xmas tree lights, I still haven't had chance to play and set it up with the router  nor set up a new email for DSLstats yet,  but will do so when I've taken the Xmas decos down and have a spare smart plug to use.   
I had a look to see if there were any on offer again for £9.99 in the Jan sales, but they appear to be back up at nearer £30. :/ 

sesdrop could be a good alternative though for someone who doesnt have a smart plug without scheduling.   
It would require the line to be pretty stable.  Shame it only appears to be a simple on/off rather than say drop if 10 SES. 

I have been watching my line since ejs mentioned it and since the last remote sync, its behaving fine and although that spike is still there atm its only causing 30 CRCs per day which is lower than usual.  :fingers:
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »

In between other things I've been attempting to play with this today.

I've created up an email account just for DSLstats and set priority sender for it on my phone.
Installed a new notification sound on my phone for the dslstats mail and got onscreen notifications set up.   
Phone will only auto sync every 15 mins so there could be a slight delay in reporting.

So far soo good \o/

Currently got DSLstats to do notifications on Err Secs and that works.
Unfortunately I dont think that is going to work out too well in this situation as I'm now getting emails every minute because the set threshold level has been reached.  (Setting = ES/hour rises above).

So it is going to have to be on CRCs (Setting = CRC rises above x per min) as there's no notification option for SES or ES per min.

Turned off the Err/Sec alerts and now set to CRCs..  but it will probably now be tomorrow before I get sufficient CRCs to see if it triggers an alert.

Xmas deco's down and HS-100 waiting to go into router plug socket.   I didn't want to do that today as I suspect unplugging the modem will clear the error count which is what I was testing today.   If it works with CRCs tomorrow, then I can then attempt testing with Kasa to get it to remote resync.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »

So far soo good \o/

Turned off the Err/Sec alerts and now set to CRCs..  but it will probably now be tomorrow before I get sufficient CRCs to see if it triggers an alert.

Xmas deco's down and HS-100 waiting to go into router plug socket.   I didn't want to do that today as I suspect unplugging the modem will clear the error count which is what I was testing today.   If it works with CRCs tomorrow, then I can then attempt testing with Kasa to get it to remote resync.

Update.   
HS-1000 set up and ready to go.   
Problem with notifications for CRCs from DSLstats.   I have absolutely no idea why..  but I can send emails from the newly set up account and off goes the notification on my phone perfectly.    Yet when the email is sent from DSLstats no notification.   The email is there if I check manually, but for some reason any mail from DSLstats does not trigger a notification via priority sender on my phone.
The only difference I can see between mails is that mail sent via my email client includes a data and time.   Whereas its null when coming from DSLstats.

Does anyone know if it could be the null date/time field could stop the priority sender triggering an alarm on my phone?   Are there any other Galaxy S5/S6/S7 etc users out there that could test with DSLstats please.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »

The only difference I can see between mails is that mail sent via my email client includes a data and time.   Whereas its null when coming from DSLstats.

I've been looking into this, and every email alert which I've received from DSLstats includes date/time stamps in the headers. There's a time-of-sending stamp and a time-of-delivery stamp. These stamps are presumably added en route, because I don't specify them in my code. I wonder if it might be worth trying a different email account for sending the alerts?
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »

Hi

I was just about to post same after sending a test email

The time stamps are added by the mail server/sending client, so roseway does not need to change anything

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »

Off the wall suggestion:

If when you are out of the house you won't be transferring much data could you use a router that allows you use a 3/4G dongle as backup. Then when you detect a high error rate just shut the xDSL down until you return home when you can restart it manually? No risk of a loop with that approach!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4