Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eclipse revamp their products and traffic shaping.  (Read 5922 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Eclipse revamp their products and traffic shaping.
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »

Eclipse (now owned by KC) are to launch a new product set for Home users on 12th May 2008.

Over the past several months there have been many complaints by their users as to the extent of the traffic shaping and difficulty for users downloading certain types of traffic at all times of the day.

I dont normally make too much of a fuss of product changes, but have done so in this instance due to the "reverse step" of starting to move towards a new form of traffic shaping that actually would appear to give the customer more choice over how they use their connection.  :thumbs:

The main features of the new products are

• They will no longer be described as "Unlimited" and instead will have hard caps.
  • Reduce traffic shaping and provide higher throughput speeds closer to the line speed.
  • Uploads not counted towards your capped allowance
  • Customers will now have a usage meter in order to monitor their usage.
  • Inclusion of a Manage my Pipe which allows customers to give priority to what they use the internet for.

Details of the new prices and caps are available today on the Eclipse website or on my ISP Prices page

The Marketing Gumph is rather long but I've snipped the interesting bits:-

Previous product differentiation based on traffic management has proved both difficult to explain to customers and difficult to implement operationally, with actual performance at varying price points falling far short of the desired performance.

In addition to the gap between customer’s actual and expected speed expectations, KC’s traffic management system additionally reduces the customer’s download speed further during busy periods. The very low download speeds achieved during busy periods has hugely frustrated a large number of customers.

The new Eclipse usage based products have been designed to ensure that the customers download speeds are more consistent and much closer to their achievable connection speed. Paying for usage therefore enables Eclipse to provide the customer with their expected online experience for the majority of the time. 

No traffic shaping on most common forms of Internet traffic, such as browsing, emailing, streaming and downloading 
 ~ So products will be much less subject to fluctuating speeds
 ~ We expect download speeds overall to be higher than they are on the Evolution Broadband.
 ~ We expect download speeds overall to be higher even over busier time periods when capacity is maxed.

The products are easy to choose between, with pre-set usage limits. The customer knows exactly what he’s getting by paying more.
Products that are clearly differentiated through a range of inclusive usage allowances, thus providing something to meet the varying needs of each customer.
Highly competitive prices starting from just £9.95 per month*
*is £9.95 for first three months of an 18 month contract. After month 3 monthly cost is £13.95

The new Manage My Pipe Feature may be of interest to some

Customers will have the ability to manage the prioritisation of their internet activities themselves using the Traffic Controller.
Customers will be given the chance, to choose from 6 preset traffic profiles which will dictate the priority given to each type of internet protocol they are using. For instance, they may wish to make surfing and email a priority over FTP or P2P downloads.
 ~ These preset profiles are: Surfer, Remote Worker, Gamer, Downloader, Office, Custom
 ~ The final option is a custom setting where the customer is able to change the priorities of the traffic down to a more detailed level.
 ~ The customer can move the slider bars to give more or less priority on the traffic types and when they save it then those settings are saved and activated immediately.

See below for a preview of the new connection manager (you will need to be logged in to this forum to see it).

Seems like a good move as far as their customers are concerned - lets hope that it pans out that way. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:01:51 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Eclipse revamp their products and traffic shaping.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »

This looks very interesting, but

>> Usage between midnight to 8am not counted towards your capped allowance

I can't find any mention of this on the Eclipse website.

Even without this relaxation the packages look to be good value. I've always felt that a fixed cap is a much fairer system than traffic-managed 'unlimited' accounts, because it makes a clear connection between usage and the cost of providing the service.

It will be interesting to see if other ISPs move in the same direction.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »

not sure i see the point of the connection manager.

if i start a p2p i'd move the p2p slider up, then when thats finished i slide it down and then slide the hppt slider up and download/surf at full speeds and so on.

why dont they just give full speed on everything and cut out the slider bit??

i can see that using the connection manager can stop you getting full speed on all protocols at the same time but it just seems like a bit of a hinderance.
Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »

I suppose that if you wanted to do several things at once, the connection manager would enable you to stop P2P (for example) saturating your connection and making web browsing unresponsive. This would be better than just capping the speeds in the P2P client because it would still allow P2P to saturate the connection when it wasn't needed for anything else.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

>> Usage between midnight to 8am not counted towards your capped allowance

I can't find any mention of this on the Eclipse website.

Hmm youre correct - neither can I.
What I do notice now on the site is that they are saying uploads dont count towards usage, yet I cant see any mention of that in the very quick scan of all the  pre-launch stuff they sent out. ???
There was mention of free off peak periods though.

Well spotted eric - I'll change it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »

I did find the confirmation that uploads are not counted. I'll see if I can find it again. :)

Found it: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=home_broadband
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »

If a company sends out pre-launch stuff, they presumably know that people are going to prepare articles in advance, you'd think they would be sure to follow up with any changes made to the final spec!!?

It's all good now, and I will back kitz up that the original inclusion in the article of free overnight usage was done in good faith, based on the email 'gumph' they sent out.

Anyway, let's hopefully see if the new products pan out well and do in fact improve the experience of Eclipse customers.

I wonder, are Eclipse going to force-move old customers onto these new accounts?
Chris

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »

I remember suggesting to Force9/Plus Net about 2 years ago to offer DIY traffic shaping where you set what has priority.

I have always liked the idea of this and am glad to see an ISP do it. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:17:29 PM »

I'm with Eclipse, but I am on a Business product.
Sounds interesting this product, but it's not for business connections.
I pay £16.99 month and  only get 3GB of usage and end up paying for an extra 1 or 2 GB a month at £1.47 all plus vat (because it's a business product , as home products have vat included).
One good thing is we get Free 01 & 02 phone calls.  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything