Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

NTP

<< < (2/5) > >>

Westie:
I am a complete newbie regarding linux / routers / hands-on-beyond-a-gui, so whilst I can say what works for me, I am aware that this might be a grandmother/eggs situation. Feel free to ignore whatever isn't relevant.

In my setup I have a router/modem picking up the internet, connected by Ethernet to a Pepwave Surf SOHO router which handles the household LAN(s) on separate sub-networks.

A Pi Zero W is on a household wireless LAN, which monitors the modem/router with DSLstats and uploads to MDWS. The Pi runs Raspbian Stretch, which apparently doesn't have ntp installed, although it is in the repository (have I said that right?)

When I first set the Pi up I installed (I think) the ntp daemon by using
--- Code: ---sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install ntp
--- End code ---

Using the Pi's GUI I have also set the preferences to the correct locale, and to wait for the network before completing the boot sequence. It seems to have no trouble in picking up a ntp server, or in keeping accurate time (within the minute, anyway).

Am I being too simplistic?

Weaver:
Westie does your pi speak ipv6 to the internet?

Westie:
No, mine doesn't :( although I know it's capable of it :)

My current ISP doesn't do IPv6, so I haven't felt the urge to get to grips with it. Maybe when I migrate next week?....

skyeci:
I found my pi3 would lose time when used over wireless which in turn would mess up mdws uploads. Using the ethernet port did not cause any issues.
mine also worked fine with ipv6 via my isp

Weaver:
The command

--- Code: ---ntpdate -b -u ntp1.aa.net.uk
--- End code ---
works, but the time doesn't stay correct for many minutes even.

I'm getting help from my heroic neighbour who is doing a fresh installation. Will see how long it takes it to go wrong, if I retest after each step.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version