Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

NTP

(1/5) > >>

Weaver:
I have never ever managed to get my pi to keep time at all. NTP just fails when I start up, ni matter what I try. I know that there are no communication problems with the path to the servers as I can get NTP to sync up to them by hand using manual commands and trace routes to them, are all good. I even added in the ntp servers at my own ISP, Andrews and Arnold, so they would be really close. Also i'm not using the pi's wireless st all, that's turned off, so can't blame that.

I was getting to the stage where I was thinking abuout starting to hunt around for a hardware clock, but then I thought that someone somewhere must have solved this. It was at this point, with all the stupid and thoughtless fiddling around that I was doing that I managed to make the pi non-booting, well not headless, so now I'm dead.

Does anyone have a reliable NTP time boot config + runes + setup recipe whatever that I could just steal?

Westie:
Don't know if this helps or not:

I'm running Raspbian stretch, with the config set up to wait for network at boot. I've so far not had a problem with keeping time...but it's only been a week or two.

tiffy:
Don't know if this may be relevant to your issue:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20525.msg358273.html#msg358273

I have had clock issues in the past with my RPi's and this procedure has always cured, give it a try.

Weaver:
I'll definitely do that. Much appreciated. I tried so many different kinds of hacks assuming that my problem was due to the local time being far too far out, I can't remember whether I tried _exactly_ that particular technique.

Weaver:
I'm soon to get the pi back up and running so i would appreciate any advice as to a known good recipe for getting ntp up and running.

I may have mentioned earlier -I managed to find the magic incantation to force the time to get set correctly even if the clock is miles off. After that it didn't maintain time properly for more than an hour or so.

But using the afore said magic incantation during the boot process didn't work, so wondering if it failed because of dependencies or network readiness state, I even set it to automatically execute again 1 min and 2 minutes after boot, out of sheer desperation, and that didn't work either.

I have ipv6 working on the pi, tested. Somehow got it up by fiddling about, that is the only thing I can think of. The ntp servers are available on iov6 and iov4 networks both. I included the aa.net.uk one as it is the nearest and also the usual pool ones for the uk. Did much fiddling around with those and all to no avail. I wonder if there is some odd bug where it doesn't like ipv6 being present. The docs show that the ntp associated components do speak ipv6 albeit with some awkward design quirks. I haven't tried things in an ipv6-only or ipv4-only network.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version