Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Apple getting sued  (Read 3485 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Apple getting sued
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

I suspect but I may be wrong, that it's to do with shipping Lithium batteries, you not supposed to send these as a separate unit via post  :'( , but you can send them if they are part of a sealed unit  :fingers: , also it's probably all about forcing people to upgrade to new more power hungry hardware, and Apple aren't the only ones doing this.......
@Weaver I think you're on the money for the CPU wait cycles, a nice simple way of slowing down a device after a firmware upgrade.

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »

I'm wondering if a non-removable battery has an advantage in better thermal contact, better heat transfer has a number of benefits. Secondly, the connector could perhaps get gungy or worse. I also wonder about whether there is some means of dissuading repairers from fitting non-genuine batteries, which is a giant safety nightmare these days, what with the amount of energy that these things store, and the associated potential for disaster.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

The 2 most likely reasons.

1 - Samsung have now decided to follow apple in making devices "look premium" glass bodies etc. this in turn stops them applying flexible removable covers.
2 - Planned obsolescence, with a dead non removable battery one may be persuaded to replace the phone.

My hauwei Y7, cover can be removed but ironically the battery is fixed in place non removable still.

Its not to do with water resistance, because my S5 had a removable back cover and was water/dust resistant certified.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:57:29 AM »

What Chrys said. There was me thinking like a designer.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »

I’d have guessed that non user-replaceable batteries were motivated by reduced manufacturing cost, enhanced reliability, and competitive market forces for lightest/thinnest phones.

A removable battery means a battery ‘door’ and compartment, which would add to costs of plastics & mouldings.

It also encurages people to do as has been suggested earlier in thread, and swap in/out spare batteries on a regular basis, to extend time between charges.   This means the connectors must be robust enough for maybe several hundreds or even thousands of operations, instead of just once or twice at manufacture, or professional repair.  More robust connectors  will add to cost.   Same effect means the battery door must be designed to withstand multiple open/close sequences, further emphasising point of previous paragraph.   And no matter how well designed, accidental damage to doors or terminals is a risk each time the battery is removed/replaced.

Lastly, the bulk of additional mouldings for battery door, and of the more robust connectors to sustain frequent operations, may not seem like a lot but will be at odds with the manufacturer’s competitive goal of weight saving and space saving.

...just guessing though. :)
Pages: 1 [2]