Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: burgled today - EE call centre down for 2 days as well - police response  (Read 6710 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: burgled today - EE call centre down for 2 days as well - police response
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »

funny enough I just found out about cerberus literally 10 mins before posting here, indeed it will be installed, looks an excellent piece of software (the stealth version I will use).

I got the hauwei already for my giffgaff (locked to O2 network)

The S7 came by special delivery today so thats here as well.

Originally was going to be a £20 phone for giffgaff but I remember the last time I had an android phone with so little ram it wasnt stable and couldnt even load the dialer properly (phone had 512meg ram), so giffgaff has been upgraded to a hauwei Y7 which seems a pretty good value phone, 2 gig of ram and reasonable performance for £70.

The S7 should be unlocked to any network, seller said it was pristine, but is a faint scratch on back, and I think the sim tray is not the original as it doesnt fit snugly, I will live with it tho as both flaws will be hidden by the cover I will use on it, both phones will get cerberus.

If I do get the other S7 back, (events seem too good to be true) and its undamaged then I will probably sell this S7, the old S5 was kept as a spare, but didnt do much good cause I lose it when I lost the S7.

The earlier bad advice from the police was for us to turn up to a meeting with the guy without police assistance to collect the phone that he said has been found, the detective I spoke to yesterday said that advice should never have been given due to the danger involved.  However there will be no meeting as the phone is now apparently on the way to a family member in the post.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »

also, once you've installed it make sure you disable notifications, otherwise it will show one saying the device has been located thus alerting any would be thief you are tracking the phone. ;)

More: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/18/google-demands-cerberus-anti-theft-app-less-stealthy/
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

Kitz EE offered to send a new sim free no problem, but I got no alternative phone, I was hoping they would be sympathetic in basically waiving my commitment to the rest of the contract provided my new contract was also with them, so they still getting revenue from me.  This contract runs out end of this year.

Ahh...  I thought from your earlier comments they weren't offering anything.

TBF I dont think any of the mobile phone companies would waive the remaining contract under these circumstances.   "Free phone" with any contract is not really free and they recoup the cost of the phone from your monthly fee and based on contract length.    Usually   

If they started waiving contracts & starting new ones with new phones - especially when you consider the large amount of phones that are stolen each year then it no doubt would be at a loss to them.    Not to mention the fact that people would also abuse this method to get out of contract on an older phone if they wanted to upgrade early :(

Good luck with the S7 and I also hope that something positive comes out of the recovery of your old phone, although I must admit I would be suspicious too :/

---
My contract ran out on my Galaxy Neo (S5 with some S6 features) just before xmas and Ive done what Ronski is doing and Im now Sim only. 
Because I have the Neo anything less than an S7 isn't worth upgrading for.. but the monthly cost took it over my budget.   

Instead Im now paying about £6pm over the next 12 months compared to £30+  for exactly the same call package just without a phone...  which goes to show that circa £24pm would have been going towards the cost of the S7.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »

This is Android of course ? Forgive my ignorance, I've never even seen an Android phone.

Is your world saved onto an Android “cloud” internet-based storage system? (My stuff from my ipads is all safely in Apple's iCloud storage so I can survive a machine dying.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:11:50 PM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »

Kitz yeah it seems thats the crunch of it, such a policy would be ripe for abuse, I guess I just expected too much from a moral point of view.

I asked EE whats the insurance cost for my phone and the answer is £12 month.

My contract is £17 a month more than a sim only contract of the same specs meaning £17 a month is for the phone.

An insurance that costs 2/3 of whats been insured isnt a very good insurance, on that basis I could argue contract under duress, but I cant be bothered.  One only needs to go for 2.5 years or more without a lost phone and the insurance option is already more expensive than buying a replacement phone or buying out the contract.

The reason I got the phone via contract tho is it is subsidised, over the duration of the contract at the time I got it was cheaper than going sim only (and buying new phone outright ) by about £250.  Its like a negative interest loan term, pretty favourable.  Granted this may not be the case with all the contract phones, but it was with the S7 at the time I got it.

Weaver yes its android.  By default things like contacts are stored in the cloud but not all photos etc. Although I disabled that as I didnt want stuff like my contact details in the cloud.  I do have backups on my PC, but I think the most recent is at least around a year old. So not every single photo I have ever had on my phones is lost.

An example of where EE is a complete joke on insurance is the nokia 3 on a 2 year contract, under £100 to buy outright sim free, but £8 a month insurance over 2 years, £192 to insure a £90 phone.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:02:23 AM by Chrysalis »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »

I suspect that the insurance costs are based on the overall claims record for the entire customer base and loss of mobile phones is rife therefore cost is somewhat exorbitant.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »

and the profit margin ;) a bit like how the likes of currys make more from extended guarantees than selling the product.

I find it hard to believe EE have 2 nokia 3's reported lost for every 1 they sell :) and 2 S7's lost for every 3 they sell.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »

@Chrysalis - Apol, what was the story with the recover of your old phone? please excuse, many drugs today.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »

There's much better ways to get phone insurance.

We pay our bank £13 a month for our current account, but we get mobile phone insurance for the family (2 adults + children living at home), European breakdown cover (covers both account holders, and in the UK even if a passenger in any car) and worldwide travel insurance. Not bad for £156 a year, oh and there's certain banking benefits  ;D

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »

There's much better ways to get phone insurance.

We pay our bank £13 a month for our current account, but we get mobile phone insurance for the family (2 adults + children living at home), European breakdown cover (covers both account holders, and in the UK even if a passenger in any car) and worldwide travel insurance. Not bad for £156 a year, oh and there's certain banking benefits  ;D
That's the same us us, only 2 phones though....that reminds me, I need to update it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »

IIRC, I get free insurance against dropping it my iPad Pro as part of AppleCare+ support contract I have on it, but that doesn't cover the ipad getting nicked.

Mrs Weaver set up contents insurance last year which I sincerely hope covers nickage and does, after initial shameful hassle, include lightning damage to technological kit. To recap the story: She used “Simply Business” for business contents insurance. I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get a blood oath in writing from them that they will cover exactly what you need with no grief and no wriggling out of it, nor evil small print. Last year I had a lightning damaged port on one of my Firebrick IP routers (I have a spare luckily). To begin with the insurance gits were completely dishonest and obstructive but did in the end cave in when I got nasty, and they suddenly changed their tune and agreed to pay out, which would have been something like £900, but then amazingly Andrews and Arnold,who sold the Firebrick to me, gave me a brand new one as a replacement and even effectively restarted the clock on the warranty as the new one came with a full term warranty, so it says.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »

I had a surprise email from our insurers (Hiscox) today, I had noticed they'd taken the monthly payment a couple of days early this month, I thought nothing of it, put it down to New Years day, but alas no it was an error and if said error had caused me any costs they will reimburse them.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »

Ronski I will check with bank actually as I do have some kind of addon with them where its waived because of the income going into the bank.

Good news by the way guys, I was round one of my sister's, and my new S7 got a call but I ignored it.

I rang back an hour later and it was my other sister informing me she posted a parcel through my door with my phone inside, now got home and the phone is there seemingly undamaged and not wiped either, it all seems fine, I have unblacklisted it already.  Bit of a miracle really given what one would expect when a phone is stolen.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/added-value-accounts/mobile-phone-insurance.asp
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:36:29 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

That's great news, not only saves you some money, but all the hassle of getting the phone just how you like it, which can take ages.

I think the thing with phones these days is they can be blocked so easily (rendering them pretty useless), and they can also be traced fairly easily if companies so desire, so perhaps they are becoming more unattractive to thieves and resellers.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »

Well interestingly the location is turned on, on the phone, but "find my device" still reports its turned off, so something not working right, I will try cerberus soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything