Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help needed please - ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and Dslstats / MDWS  (Read 1893 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Help needed please - ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and Dslstats / MDWS
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »

Hello all,
I recently got hold of one of the above, having previously used a VMG8324-B10A and prior to that various other modem / routers with DslStats and MDWS. I thought that it would be a straightforward process to just change the modem / router, but this just was not the case. Before connecting it to the line, I followed the advice about setting up the 8324, but it strikes me that the 8924 is a somewhat more complicated beastie and may need a slightly different setup process. Does a step by step guide for the 8924 exist ?

Basically, what I did yesterday was to shut down all my computers and other network kit, connect up the modem / router to a single computer and go through the advice mentioned above re setting up the 8324. This all appeared to go swimmingly well, so I then began starting up some of my other computers including a Raspberry Pi on which I run DslStats and my Mac-Mini. On starting DslStats there seemed to be no way that it could login to modem / router. I checked that I had entered the username and password correctly, and once again all seemed in order. But no matter what I tried I just could not get DslStats to start and upload to MDWS.

I'm now wondering if I need to factory reset the router and set it all up again. It apparently was either used or destined to be used with John Lewis Broadband, prior to my purchase from Ebay.

Any helpful suggestions as to what I may have not done or done incorrectly, would be most gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Help needed please - ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and Dslstats / MDWS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »

If the device has previously been used, then it would be best to do a full factory reset and then set it up from scratch. The 8324 and 8924 are effectively the same device, so the 8324 setup instructions will also apply to the 8924.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »

Thanks Eric, I thought that was probably the case. I'll set about it later today, Hopefully.

Toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:25:39 PM »

If the device has previously been used, then it would be best to do a full factory reset and then set it up from scratch. The 8324 and 8924 are effectively the same device, so the 8324 setup instructions will also apply to the 8924.

The only significant difference between the two is the 5GHz wireless on the 8924.  Aren't computer's frustrating?  It isn't working because in all probability you have one field configured wrongly, but they do nothing to help you find out where the issue is.