Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity Suddenly Died  (Read 3171 times)

Adam86

BT Infinity Suddenly Died
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:08:18 AM »

Good evening,

I don't suppose any of the gurus out there might have an idea of what has gone wrong with my Dad's VDSL connection?

On Friday morning at approx 4.15am according to MyDSLWebStats (username joejjc25) the connection dropped.

The HG612 modem retained sync but the PPPOE session will not reconnect, the router logs just keep looping with the following error:

Timeout waiting for PADO Packets
Unable to complete PPPOE Discovery

Tried rebooting modem and router to no avail.  My Dad then contacted BT who ran tests and said that a fault had been found external to the property and would raise this to the relevant team.  An hour later my Dad had a call saying that no fault had been found and the issue is with the equipment in the house and therefore if he wished to proceed with an engineer visit, there would be a charge of £130 if a fault was found to be caused by our equipment etc.  He told them to hang fire and call back later on in the evening until I could have a proper look at this.

I called in and tried a spare ECI modem and that synced up just as the HG612, but still the router couldn't initiate a PPPOE session.  I also tried the bt_test_user@startup_domain as username and password but it made no difference. Tried an old router with DD-WRT and still no luck.

I got the original HH3 out that came when he first took BT Infinity out and this has never been used, the logs on that basically just keep saying:

WAN2_INTERNET_B_ETH2 disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

A call back to BT that lasted an hour and a half whilst I was there, once again they carried out further tests and said they couldn't find anything wrong and their troubleshooter was suggesting to replace the hub... In the end they have booked an appointment for Wednesday, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what has possibly gone wrong here? To me the issue definitely appears to be external and not related to our hardware.

My Dad's connection has been flawless for approx 6 years and he has never had any issues or outages so it is most unusual that this has suddenly gone down.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:25:02 AM by Adam86 »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: BT Infinity Suddenly Died
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:02 AM »

Have you tried power down modem and router for 30 mins, thinking stale session?
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Adam86

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:19:49 AM »

Have you tried power down modem and router for 30 mins, thinking stale session?

Yes, a few times throughout the day, longest for approx 4 hours.  DLM started reducing sync speed as obviously it thought the line had become unstable, so just left it now.

I thought it could be a stale session as well, but I found someone had made use of this tool on Plusnet forums with similar issues in the past (https://github.com/lpefferkorn/pppoesk/blob/master/README.md) so I tried it on my connection at my house by removing the WAN cable from my router and very quickly connecting it to my Linux laptop and it found and killed the session, but when trying it on my Dad's earlier today, it just doesn't work at all aka appears to find no session.

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »

Have you tried connecting a laptop computer, say, directly to the Huawei HG612 modem LAN1 port and attempt to establish a PPP session from the computer?  :-\

If the modem and DSLAM have synchronised, then there is no logical reason to power-cycle or reboot the modem. The modem and DSLAM are doing their job . . . continue to disturb them and the DLM process will assume that the metallic pathway has a defect and it (the DLM) should take some action in the vain hope of "improving" the situation. I.e. the circuit ends up banded.  :-X

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Adam86

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

Have you tried connecting a laptop computer, say, directly to the Huawei HG612 modem LAN1 port and attempt to establish a PPP session from the computer?  :-\

If the modem and DSLAM have synchronised, then there is no logical reason to power-cycle or reboot the modem. The modem and DSLAM are doing their job . . . continue to disturb them and the DLM process will assume that the metallic pathway has a defect and it (the DLM) should take some action in the vain hope of "improving" the situation. I.e. the circuit ends up banded.  :-X

I did consider trying it via the laptop and establishing a connection that way but in all honesty on Friday after trying two other routers and the Home Hub I just thought there was no point.  I could always nip by tomorrow and try it just to see what happens.

Yes completely agree RE the DLM situation which is why I am just leaving the modem powered on now as i don't want the connection to be impacted when we get it running again.

Mike Turner

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »

It may not be the same thing, but several BT customers, including me, from various parts of the country, are suffering from a similar problem - the VDSL works fine, but the PPPoE connection reports Timeout Waiting for PADO packets. It seems to have started on 23rd December, at about 1:30pm, and we haven't had any service since.

The Moderators on BTCare Community Forums are involved, and are linking all these together. So far, they haven't found a common factor.

You can try looking at this thread:- https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805921

Adam86

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

It may not be the same thing, but several BT customers, including me, from various parts of the country, are suffering from a similar problem - the VDSL works fine, but the PPPoE connection reports Timeout Waiting for PADO packets. It seems to have started on 23rd December, at about 1:30pm, and we haven't had any service since.

The Moderators on BTCare Community Forums are involved, and are linking all these together. So far, they haven't found a common factor.

You can try looking at this thread:- https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805921

Thanks for this useful information, I've just had a quick skim through and someone else says the same happened to them in the early hours of 29th December and say that they were told that the issue is within the premises as no fault can be found!  I've just replied on there so hopefully a moderator will pick this up and ask for further details as it sounds to me that the engineer visit will be no use.

Cheers

Adam86

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »

Morning all, the engineer came at 8:30 this morning.  He spent a long time pulling his hair out and all line tests checked out absolutely spot on.

Mentioned something about ringing through to a certain department but having to be on hold for a long time.  He nipped up to the cabinet and came back 15 minutes later.  He said that he did nothing in the cabinet as all looked fine, he got through to this certain department and after a couple of minutes the router connected to the internet.  When we asked him what was wrong all he said was they had done a reset on the line and its an issue popping up all over the country with ECI Cabinets.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »

Thank you for the update.

. . . he said was they had done a reset on the line and its an issue popping up all over the country with ECI Cabinets.

So there are yet further problems with the ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSANs.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »

Have you changed any passwords.
Did mine and forgot the router!

Adam86

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »

Have you changed any passwords.
Did mine and forgot the router!

No, was nothing to do with passwords, BT PPPOE sessions only us bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username and any password you wish to enter.

shadow4dog

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

I had exactly the same issue as you at more or less the same time. Luckily when the ISP did the testing it came back with a battery fault so was passed to Openreach.

On the 3rd Jan, in the afternoon, the connection suddenly came back to life on it's own!

The next day the engineer turned up and said he'd heard something similar to what you'd been told, he'd only been passed the battery fault and the battery fault was down to some local flooding.

I'm glad it wasn't only me!

Tim

anything